This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats it gonna take?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniesshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats it gonna take?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 11:38am
How much horse will it take to pull a wd in third gear? Anybody ever try road gear?
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 12:52pm
126.5 hp

LOL

no idea
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 5:39pm

Your question requires more questions to answer your question. A "WD" that weighs 3500 pounds and has an honest 100 HP @ 2,000 rpm with 14.9 x 28 tires will probably run third gear all the time. The same tractor with 15.5 x 38 tires will still run third gear a lot of the time. The total weight of the sled and the type of dirt/track makes a big difference. The pulling weight of the tractor and size (diameter and width) of the rear wheels make a difference as does the height of each tire lug and cut tires versus smooth tires. Road gear you ask??..........well, it is more than double the speed of third gear, so at least double the HP at the same RPM. Get out your check book.....it can be done.

kniesshy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kniesshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 8:04pm
Haha ill shoot for third. Thanks for answerin me tho!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 8:12pm
Yeap i agree with doc its been done and can be done over and over again with deep pockets and time.
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 8:59am
We were able to pull the D17 in low 4th on a loose gray clay track once. 4000# class and it was fun. We have 390 cube and 2400 rpm.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 9:25am

Well heres what I ran into pulling those classes . Redds 77 oliver its a honest 200 hp at pto pulled 5th gear 18.4 38 tires never got past him .Rusels 450 with red diamond engine .mcdaniels unstyled wc with 292 and hudsons wd 292 hudson says his 292 is 300 hp . my opinion is its stronger than mcdaniels having pulled against both . Hudson says Russels farmall has gotten around him. Redds 77 was sold to underwood he pulled 15 mile an hour and beat Russel regularly.  These were all high rpms . Then theres the 3000 rpm class.

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 12:18pm

I was pulling one time at the National GOTO out in Hutchinson MN and there were a few guys in the modified class talking about running their WD's and WD45's in 3rd gear.  Some southern stuff and if I rember correctly one out of Ne. and Mo.  I know one from MN. that does regularly on good hard tracks and out in Hutchinson the track is not to tough so it's no problem at all for him.

I pull a WC with 38" tires and had decided to run 2nd, my engine revs pretty high compared to the others and figureing the RPM and the gear ratio I figured I was better off in 2nd than lugging it in 3rd.  They were giveing me a hard time about my decision in the pit area and for kicks I put it in 3rd and gave it a try.  I've got a twin disc clutch so I could rev the engine and slip it to get going. Usually try to take off a little over 4000 RPM but in that tall of a gear I knew it would not rev up so I ran it up to 6500 RPM slipping the clutch and left the line.

When things sorted themselves out I think 2nd place was 60 or 80 feet behind me.  400 cubes were useless for some of them guys, they were in a tall gear but the engine couldn't hold many RPM.  

Last summer I ran out in Hutchinson again and ran 3rd, the engine was still over 3500 RPM when the tires spun out. 

3rd gear in a WC is 35 to 1 gear ratio.  3rd in a WD if I rember correctly is only 42 to 1 and a WD45 is 46 to 1, going from memory though I'd have to look in my notes.  2nd in a straight WC is slightly slower than 3rd in the others.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure final gear ratio and RPM's and see if a guy should run a high reveing engine in a lower gear or a slower one in a faster gear.  Generally the RPM can more than make up the difference.  We see this in the Super Stocks also, someone with 3000 HP may be running a slower gear than someone with 2500 HP, but the 2500 HP engine may run 6000 RPM and the 3000 HP around 7000 RPM.

Good luck if you wan to run 3rd, it's not to tough to do at low RPM.  But someone with the ability to run 5000 RPM down in a 42 to 1 gear is still going to be faster...... I've seen it a lot of times. 
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic