This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s Everyone Do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 11:04am
Grew up on a farm in southern Illinois.  Went to collage and studied electronics then medical electronics.  Got a job at a hospital and have been here for 35 years and 11 months and just submitted my resignation this morning.  Two more weeks and I'll be free.Thumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 11:48am
Did a few years in the Army, got out and went to school for drafting and computers. Started my own company in 2000 and we are still kicking around.
Play farmer when I can with my brothers.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 2:45pm
Graduated from a trade school in 89 been wrenching ever since. Now I specialize in Powerstroke, Duramax, and automatic transmission in a new car dealership.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:24pm
congrats on your retirement Stan!
bryan/silex View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan/silex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 7:36am
I do all the pre deliver and assembly of new equipment at a local deere dealer.
WD's and 45's B's and c's and a few red ones , ALLIS EXPRESS also
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 9:39pm
I cowboyed,I farmed, and then I had to go to school. My old man aimed  my head around to go to college,cause his kept him from graduating high school. I farmed a little on my own, got married had kids.Finally had 2 cents to rub together. My wife started teaching,I helped my parents in old age didn't farm much,had 3 cents. Inherited my dads cattle pasture leases, I custom farmed a little but rented nothing new to farm had 4 cents. Farmed less, custom farmed more tended a vineyard, ran cows, almost had a dollar. Spent a summer in hell called a hospital,wife retired to buying things for grandkids don't think any pennies left again.

Somewhere in there tecky kid said I needed to have "the net" and a confuser and that is how I landed here. Even though back in college I were teachedWink to program 2+2=4
and had the stack of punch cards to prove it to my kids. Proper English,writing anything down,except billing Thumbs Upcitydots for farming sends me running away.

I don't think I need to worry since I have my aluminum foil hat on right, but to put too much information out kinda scares me. But I consider most of you good people,well there could be 1 or 2 questionables hiding here. I enjoyed reading what others put out so decided I needed to contribute.

Edited by Ray54 - 09 Sep 2018 at 7:07pm
psheridan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psheridan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 9:51pm
I am a self employed tooth carpenter in Omaha,Nebraska 50% of the time and work at the VA Omaha the other 50% of the time taking care of Veterans with tooth issues.
Farmer in heart, Dentist by trade

My grandfather had a Allis Dealership in the late 20s up until the war, when my dad and his brother went to the service.

My dad is still living at 97 , and we often talk about his days in his Dads dealership.

I have a 37 WC on steel, a 28 Model E 2035 on steel   both tractors ,like my grandfather would have sold in his dealership in Sutton Nebraska

Paul

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 4:22am
howdy neighbor!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:12am
Grew up in the middle of KC KS. My dad was adopted and grew up in a tar paper shack (he took me there when I was 14) in the southern Missouri hills. He was adopted more as a farm hand than a son. Miserable life from what he said and others that verified that. Graduated the 8th grade and went to work as a homestead farm hand. Bailed on that as soon as he was old enough to join the Army and never went back. 7 years in Hawaii, Pearl Harbor, before and after.

Dad and Mom moved to KC for work and Dad never wanted to have anything to do with farming, growing a garden.....nothing. Just fishing and keeping the yard mowed. Didn't really do much hunting because he was sick of that too. Just showed me the basics but he could sure fish.

I graduated in 76 and did worked odd jobs here and there. Oldest brother had an auto shop and worked for him some. Been around that as far as I can remember. Got a job at an independent auto shop and worked for him for 27 years. In the meantime got married to a farm girl. After a few years and a few kids we bought a house and 25 acres about 45 miles south. Around her home town. Never looked back and had no idea what I was doing.
Father in law is/was a full time farmer. He came over as said 'get off your butt we are going to get you a tractor....free'. He found a 49WD NF that had been sitting out for years and froze up. Pulled it 10 miles home. Got that wore out old dog running and all prettied up and used it for several years. I used it for everything. Found a 6' beat up backhoe bucket and made it into a 3-point trip bucket. That was a life saver.

Found another WD for $1000 and sold the first one for $1400.
Been using this one for the last 20 plus years modified to my liking.
During all these years I have had 2 bouts with cancer, got over both of those and a few more bouts of other BS in between. Back issues lately but doing much better. Still wrenching but not nearly as intense cause the SOB's will try to kill you if you let em.
30 year old stamina just ain't there anymore but I'm making it work.

The WD don't do much anymore. Keep it in the shed because it will never sit outside.
Saved my butt more times than I can count.
Got some different machines to make it easier but still have the WD to do what they can't. Not very often but it's there when I need it. Funny thing is, my FIL got me into Allis with his WD45 that he bought new and showed me the workings of it. Now he calls me when he has a problem with his.

psheridan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psheridan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:38pm
hello shameless
been reading your posts for years.     probably met you out there in west O and didn't know it           have to buy you a drink some time

Paul
WDman1951 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDman1951 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:19pm
Deliver steel all day not a glorious job but good co workers and an ok company so can't complain
1951 WD 1945 C 1936 WC
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:49pm
Yep
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:25pm
Some good reading on here...my answer is on the short side.

I am a product engineer and we make bathtubs where I work.

Grandpa and dad started me out on Allis tractors around 20 years ago now....Still a nut for them old orange beauties.

Dream Job- would love to own a small farm selling pumpkins in the fall, with hayrides and corn maze for everyone.
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 11:58pm
I guess I'll add to mine.  Before graduating I worked on a farm that was all AC, and I learned how to drive on our WC we used for truck farming.  Graduated HS in 71.  Went into the USAF in 72, and learned electronics and became a weather equipment repairman.  Got out in 75 and went right back doing the same job as a civilian.  79 I went to the National Weather Service.  Worked on radar and all of the field equipment at Detroit Metro Airport.  In 87 I transferred to the main office for the state of MI which was located downtown Ann Arbor, MI.  I loved when school started and ended.  I always said the roofs turned flesh colored!  It sure made driving around town dangerous!  In 92 we built a new office, with the new Doppler radar, and I got promoted to a supervisory position.  We maintained the weather sensor arrays at 7 airports, and on on the shore of Lake Huron, the radar, the weather balloon equipment, two networks, the tele system,  30 some pc workstations and the main operational workstations.  And about anything else they heeded fixed.  2 standby genertors, and 2 UPS.  Near the end we designed a system to use at marine sites.  Our first was in the middle of Saginaw Bay on a light house.  We eventually had four sites when I retired and the entire Great Lakes weather offices were using our design for their sensor locations.  As I said, I retired 12/31/2011 with 39 years and some months, I think 7!  I tinkered around a bit.  Had a couple part time jobs.  Now with this bout with cancer I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy life.  Did I mention that I'm on my third wife?  She has a daughter, and I have a son, and we have a 3 year old grand daughter.  The best kinda kids are grand kids!  I'll be 65 11/1 this year.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 8:00pm
I grew up in Allis Dealership, Dad needed someone to work on dairy equipment so when I got my drivers license he turned me loose on teat pullers.  Learned refrigeration working on milk tanks and took over 30 years ago went on my own.  Lost most of those farms and had the opportunity to sell out 11 years ago. Went into Geothermal HVAC.  don't miss the work but I do miss the farms. 
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 4:37pm
Have been building computer chips (integrated circuits) for thirty plus years. Celebrated Jack Kilby's invention  this week Texas Instruments integrated circuit...Electronics background with some HAM radio stuff in there. Work revolves around PVD, physical vapor deposition(sputter).
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:13pm
Graduated the john deere ag tech program with an degree in applied science (which I'm not sure what that means but it came with the deere deal) and have been full time with the local deere dealer since June
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic