This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s Everyone Do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s Everyone Do?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 11:10pm
Hey guys. Just a simple question and I think it would be interesting to see what everyone does for a living to fund their Allis addiction.

I’ll start us off. I’m a senior tractor technician for Schneider National
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 2:14am
I've seen them trucks on the road! i'm retired from law enforcement and farming now! still have a lot of my equipment, selling a piece here and there. my thoughts are young, but my body is getting old!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 2:15am
also glad to see you back here...I dun missed yer sorry butt! lol
PaulW(NE) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 4:55am
Work for the local JD dealer behind the parts counter and the forklift trainer. Did the OTR thing for 7 yrs and factories.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:21am
Much as Shameless I retired last year, was a Power Station Operator for over twenty years prior to that a mechanic on almost anything for close to 25.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:07am
After twenty years in the field I recently landed a job as the city's plumbing inspector. No overtime gives me more time to play with orange on our century farm.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:08am
Construction worker. I started with a company in 1988 building theme parks all over the country. I worked all over until the company sold in 2000. I then went to work for a builder a few years and then started my own company. The recession hit and I had to shut down. I now run a crew but subbed to a company called HCI. Doing residential and commercial construction.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:22am
Live and work in Midland TX, moved here 5 yr ago from Wisconsin. Dont have a single piece of Allis stuff currently.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:23am
Farm and ranch on wife's family farm, which was a HUGE farm back in it's hay day. Now it's not even a good sized hobby farm. Recently took a job driving truck, delivering ag chemicals for a wholesaler. Darrel
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 9:18am
Retired from the Govt, 12/31/2011.  I did computers and networks for the National Weather Service. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 9:38am
If you drank a Coke at a McDonalds in the Midwest from 1984 to 2000, I most likely installed the machine that made it plus all the refrigeration. Nowadays I specialize in ultra cold or as Lou in SWPA says "voodoo refrigeration," equipment from -20 to -150 degrees Celsius.
Maximum use of available resources!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 10:28am
Retired now but still drive dump trucks for some contractors , still have most of my equipment from excavating business I had for 40 years , but also during that time worked as a millwright, production foreman, maintenance foreman for a industrial plant, was a facilities manager for charter school , and got a degree in Building Inspection at age 60 going back to school then, and had Inspectors License along with design, soil testing, and instillation license for the On Site Septic industry here in MN . Drove truck for tanker div of local company hauling asphalt and heavy heating oil (top load) for a few years also and way back was tow truck drive along with gas station mechanic in local gas station  
 So now I rebuild British motorcycles and kind of collect machines that have been neglected and forgotten by others - A retirement home for old British iron manager ! 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 02 Sep 2018 at 10:31am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:07pm
Born and raised on this old dairy farm, helped the folks and when dad got sick, took over running everything, Sold the cows in 98, and bought back some beef, worked for a peat processing company from 1999 to 2002, helping them get set up, fabricate and install machines for them, and run them, and then remove the equipment. And 2003 helped put them back up 120 miles from here, bad mistake  should have stayed home. Got the farm organic certified for several years but didn't really pay out so continued with the beefers... and I aren't smart enough to quit. 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:57pm
Born and raised on a small farm went to work at a welding shop and retired after 39 years . We made Prentice log loaders. Now I have been sawing lumber for my sons cabin. Randy
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 2:53pm
Dairy Farmer in partners with my Dad for 35 years. When my Dad developed Parkinson's I ran the farm by myself. Sold the cows in 2005. Worked for several Custom Farm application services for a few years and a local Elevator driving Truck. Worked for Michigan Department of Transportation winter's plowing snow. Crop Insurance Adjuster for the last 10 years. I also Bale and sell hay and custom Bale.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 6:34pm
retired 1/2 my life, since the Feds effectively shut down my remote control energy management company(saved customers 35% of their energy costs). That's after I quit Stelco cause boss and me didn't see 'eye to eye',so no pension from there. With no paycheck coming in, still managed to pay off house and buy orange. No, I don't eat thick steaks at fancy restaurants every night, but seem to make ends meet.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:00pm
Retired three years ago at 55, spent my working life either in the shop or at the parts counter at several Blue, Green, and Kubota Orange dealers. The dogs and I enjoy our days drinking coffee and choosing the “chore of the day”
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 7:06pm
I got out ta service in 1973. Worked as a mechanic for a FS coop for 1 year, bought a fleet of trucks, a farm fuel business was included. Did that for 14 years until the guys I was leased to wanted to buy me out. I sold those and hooked up with another guy who was 10 years older than me, we started a tire shop that sold everything from 4" tires up to the huge loader tires for the rock queries around here. After 22 years the partner wanted to retire and my back was so bad I could not continue. I then spent 11 years as credit manager for a car/truck/equipment dealership. Along with farming. My darn back continued to get worse, the pain effecting my memory. As a result I had to sell the farm, but still have a few acres of hay. Retired from farming/credit manager last June 30th. Now do farmers markets/flea markets enjoying the sights, (the young ladies). And have 30 hived of bees to take care of. Been raining here all week so I haven't been able to work with them this week. Now doing light construction work, skid loader, and doing some small electrical jobs. I'm sure glad the old gal got me into the flea/farmers mkts. The seenery is a pleasure to look at. Gonna do What Cheer flea MKT next weekend. I hope its warm/hot, the college cuties will be there in force.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 02 Sep 2018 at 7:08pm
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:20pm
Retired in 95 from ATT after 37 years as switching equipment tech. Always kept a 5 to 10 feeder cows and showed and trained horses and farmed enough sell some hay and feed my own animals.
Wife  started having dementia problems couple years ago so I am the caregiver now, still feeding 3 horses and bale couple acres of hay but don't get far from home any more. 
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:33pm
Worked in textile, went to trade school worked in furniture factory,uncle sam ,traveling salesman,36 years in maintance and been retired 17 years .Got a few acres and grew a few calves.Got rid of d/14, still have my restored B  and finish mower and do a few acres.Wife been dead 7 1/2 years, live alone ,turned 80 last week.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 8:45pm
Was a department manager at Sears, sold building materials for Lowe's, serviced cooking equipment for a steakhouse chain, and then was aircraft mechanic and technical inspector for Department of the Army for 22 years. During all of this time I spent 2 years active, 4 reserve with the Air Force, then 30 years with the Army National Guard and 38 years as a volunteer firefighter. Have been officially retarded since October 2006 and left the FD in 2016. Still own and look after the small family farm but lease out the hay and pasture land plus I do whatever my wife tells me to do.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 10:16pm
Spent 16 years in machine shops as a mold maker, production operator, and maintenance machinist. Quit that 2 years ago and took over my in-laws poultry farm. We grow broiler chickens for Pilgrim's. If you go to Chick-fil-A there's a possibility you've eat one of my birds. We're going to be striking out on our own soon. We have signed contracts on 69 acres to build 6 50'x600' chicken houses on probably within the next 2 years. Should house around 220,000 birds. Also cut a little hay just to have a place to get away and be by myself.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 10:32pm
Born and raised on a dairy farm in upstate N.Y. after collage, When I got my draft notice I ran down and joined the Air Force. Spent my service in the states. The last 2 years at Offutt, Neb. One day at the barracks the phone rang, I answered it, Farmer was looking for help picking up baled hay. I got a crew together of roommates that were off duty, it turned into working for 5-6 local farmers. We did all kinds of farm labor, with me milking cows so people could take vacations, and other family things.
After I got out of the service, Married the farmers daughter. Went to electronics school, got my commercial pilots license. After a variety of jobs got into remodeling homes and doing odd jobs for businesses. Retired at 73. Glad I came to Nebr., its a 150 years newer than New York. Play with tractors, did lots of tractor pulls with my son and daughter. Last time my daughter pulled, she beat 4 JD tractors, the closes one was by 30 feet. Wish I could have filmed it.
2 years ago I met Shameless ! Might see him again next month.

Edited by HaroldOmaha - 02 Sep 2018 at 10:35pm
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 11:00pm
20 year Correctional Officer, Ore Dept of Corrections. Play farmer for the last 8 years Smile
D15 Series II
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 11:36pm
Other then two years with Uncle Sam and 6 months with the University of Colorado, I've been self unemployed.  Had a small excavating business for 20 years, farmed or at least followed the neighbors around since I was 8 years old.  Still farm 80 acres of hay, small grain, and pumpkins.  Drive a hayride for a friend for 5 weekends in the fall.  Own an orchard in western Colorado with a partner who works the place.  Go to Farmers Markets on Saturdays and Tuesdays most of the summer until mid Sept, selling our fruit and flour I mill from my grain.  Do the Farmers Markets as my social outlet, and the sights, as Hd6 points out, so I can spend the rest of the time by myself.  Also am a ditch rider for two irrigation ditches.  Turn 70 this fall, don't feel like quitting quite yet...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 11:57pm
HD6DTOM forgots to tell you that he also raises goats and loves them! oh...and Plummerscarin...if'n you is a plumbing inspector....stay the heck away from my place!
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 12:02am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

HD6DTOM forgots to tell you that he also raises goats and loves them! oh...and Plummerscarin...if'n you is a plumbing inspector....stay the heck away from my place!

Surely you ain’t got some shady plumbing do ya buddy? lol
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 12:36am
who me? oh heck no! i'm a law abiding citizen...
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:15am
Have always farmed and been self employed.
For 40 years my main income was shearing sheep, etc.
I quit that two years ago.
For the last 15 years of shearing, I took ever $ I could and put in to my shop. I now have 4 employees and sale/ship metal signs/art all over the world.
On shearing, it is a seasonal job and I just did it part time. You are paid by the head. But I could shear at a rate, that I would net $100+ per hour on sheep and my net for Llama/Alpaca would be $250+ per hour.
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:10am
Worked at a Gulf station when I got out of school in 1970. Got married in march 72 and drafted in oct 72. Spent 2 years in army got out in 74 helped local guy that had dump truck, dozer and backhoe. In 1977 went to work for Kaiser Refractories which became National Refractories until they went belly up in 2003. Then I went to work for Purina mills making feed until 2013 when I retired at 62. Grew up on farm and started farming on my own around 1977. Now rent 100 acres row crop and own 100 acres of hay and pasture for my 30 cows
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic