This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is an gas H4 worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is an gas H4 worth?
    Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:00pm
I have a chance to buy a gas Allis H4 that has a very good undercarriage and 4 way blade but the engine is likely stuck (water in the oil).   The exhaust manifold is also cracked.
Thoughts on value?   Tin work is great.  No ROPS.   Looks like engine parts would be hard to come by.

Thanks
Terry

D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm
Any idea how long it has sat since last running? If it's a number of years you could have steering clutch issues after getting the engine running... just to be aware when making an offer.

Edited by Eric B - 05 Nov 2018 at 4:18pm
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 6:54pm
Go for it
The only thing you can't find is undercarriage
HD3
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 10:45pm
really a loaded question. ask your self what would one be worth that ran okay. can you do the work your self. can you trust the owner to tell you the truth when it did run. What are you going to use it for. wont work good in rocky or hard clay. they are a nice little dozer with the shuttle shift but they are limited on what they can do. I'm guessing salvage is probably 8000 lbs. or 4 tons whatever that's worth. its getting harder to sell parts for them as there is not lot of people wanting them. I have two h4 machines myself. just like them. one is gas, other is diesel. one I had to replace a final drive housing--expensive. the other I have to replace seal--not expensive but time consuming and maybe one steering clutch/brake ban probably 400 if I decide to do it. I do all the work my self. I wouldn't mind having it for the blade myself but I wouldn't try to fix it up myself due to I think the costs would be very hi. good luck what ever you decide.
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:19am
I would be able to do the work myself.  The salvage yard's bottom dollar is $2000.   I think he thinks he can part it out and get more than that (blade assy, undercarriage, etc).

I have a M and a H3 track loader.   Sure would like to add one of these to the collection.
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:49am
that looks like a straight up and down blade unless I am missing some thing. if it is then its not worth much. I would say with all the unknowns 1200 would be tops. it will probably cost you 800-1200 for an engine unless you get extremely lucky and can just overhaul that motor. the machine doesn't look to bad and might be a worth while project. the dozers are easier to work on. like I said there is not that many people wanting these old dozers. look at the teeth on the sprockets. new ones will have approx. 7/8 in flat spot on the end. feel the pin for round ness flat spots. look at the pin ends and see if the ends has wear on them. people have different ideas on under carriage. I am guessing that dozer completely running would be worth around 3500 now. 6/7 years ago probably 4500. market has changed a lot on them. skid loaders has really hurt the value of small dozers because of there versatility. I would suspect the salvage yard paid 4 tons worth for it. course they had to haul it. first one I bought was my gaser with a loader that ran good, left clutch week. paid 2750 delivered to my house. was suspecting I would have to rebuild the steering clutches and brakes which would cost me around 700 bucks. so I thought if I had 4000 into it that would be okay and maybe some day I could get my money back I had invested. didn't figure I would have to replace the final drive case. just my stupidity for not learning more about them when I bought it. I should have went on the net and done more investigation. the net is a wonderful ally of yours. use it. either way it will be a gamble for you your plus is you can do the work yourself and there are people on here with good knowledge that will help. I will make one strong suggestion. if you go back to look at it have them pull the plugs in both rear cases to see if there is oil in those final drive cases as well make sure your trany and rear end has oil in them. there are dipsticks for them. if there is not then run run away cause it might cost you as much as 2500 just to repair them. good luck on what ever you decide as I am not trying to discourage you but just tell you my experiences I have had with my h4 allis.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:11am
It has the tilt bracket there on the top side of the blade.

HD3
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 12:04pm
Which gas engine is in the H4?
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:23pm
If two grand would buy it, i would jump on it. It has outside push beams, and tilt blade. Engine was in several machines. Shouldn't be a hard  rebuild. Steering clutches and brakes are the worse fix. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:52pm
my gaser has the 2200. I do know the 180 and 190 allis tractors parts will work on the 2200. don't know if it would bolt up or not. would be a good thing to check on to see if other motors would work. the diesel has the same block as the 2200.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic