This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what gear do you like to use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan-nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what gear do you like to use?
    Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 7:16pm
particularly those of you pulling wc's and wd's.  out here most of our pulls are limited to 3 or 3.5 mph with an occasional 4mph pull.  many pulls require first gear only, so there's no decision to be made.  but when you have a choice, are you better off pulling in a higher gear and trying to build momentum, or are you better off in a lower gear so you may have more power at the end?  on the one hand, i would think the best bet would be to pull in the highest gear that you have the power for, but conversely i've had some luck with my wc pulling it in low gear , so that i can really lug it down and maintain traction.....if i have to keep the rpms up i'll frequently start to spin it, but by lugging it down i've got a chance to get a bite and keep on going.  
    also, if you are on a track and sled for the first time, you may not know how your unit will respond....better off to play it safe and use low gear, or gamble with a higher gear??....problem of course is that there are no 'do overs' so you're stuck with your decision....
just wondering what you like to do??
Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 7:38pm
My WD45 always in 2nd,   The D17 in 2nd on the low side. Neither could get much throttle until down the track a way with 3.5 mph limit.  1st gear would have too much spinnage at the end ,  still spun as it was......

Edited by Gary in da UP - 18 Dec 2012 at 7:39pm
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:18pm

I usually pull my WC in third gear for 4 mph and under, and fourth for faster classes because using fourth reduces the lost power of driving through a gear train if you can go fast enough to use it, but my WC may not be geared quite like most others out there. A stock geared WC does best in first and second depending on the track, the engine, and the tire size you have.

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:22pm
Ken aint BSen about the gears neither. I have seen em

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 11:09pm
Write these down and put them in your tool box for future refrence.  Here's the stock gear ratios for a WD45 and a WC.  Ratios shown are final gear ratios, meaning turns of the crankshaft to turns of the rear axil (with no clutches slipping)

WC
1st=67 to 1
2nd=46 to 1
3rd=35 to 1
4th=18.5 to 1

WD45
1st=84 to 1
2nd=52.5 to 1
3rd=40 to 1
4th=18 to 1

I don't have the gear ratios of the ring and pinion for each, and RC, D-17 or WD45 diesel handy in front of me but with them a guy could figure what the gears would be with changeing the ring and pinion.

I think a WC is 4.40 to 1 and an RC is 6.67 to 1, but that's just going from memory.  A little reverse math and one can get what the gear ratios would be when swapped.

It's nice to know so when you see someone go in a certain gear, you can base your decision on it.

A lot of times on a 3 or 4 mph pace it's good to put the engine to sleep a little.  To low of a gear and the tires break loose to easy.  There was a d-17 diesel that managed top finishes against tractors with big power and it (the -17) probably didn't have 50 hp on the dyno.  Drug out of the brush and went pulling, it just kept dying down and the tires would stay hooked. 

Edited by wi50 - 18 Dec 2012 at 11:14pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 5:15am
The WC ratio's look right to me..Now mine is around 7.2-1  The rear end is from a speed patrol.  The fellow I bought it from has a rear end with the "picker" gear (6.6-1) in it that his dad bought from AC and put in there tractor laying there and there was a difference in it and the Patrol gearing when we checked it out.  This was with the old count the pinion to hub revs. 
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 10:48am
I have a wd with a 45diesel rearend in it run in 2nd up to 4000 then in first after that usually do better in first. Helped a couple buddys build a wd with the handclutch assy removed and a wc trans in front of the wd trans run front tranny in 3rd back one in 2nd for 3mph and back one in 3rd is 4mph cheap and easy to do. Usap said it was ok to run in farm stock.
mattb View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 10:49am
these speeds are all with 15.5 by 38s
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic