This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What concerns with D Grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What concerns with D Grader
    Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:20pm
I'm looking at a model D Grader from 54.  Not sure if this would be a wise purchase or not. It's offered "running when parked".  Also, what motor is in these gas graders?

Sponsored Links

ac_sd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac_sd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 3:45pm

I believe it uses the same engine as a WD or WD-45 Farm tractor.  The later gas models used the same engine as the D-17 and are likely inter-changeable. I've owned an early Model D and currently have a later model. They are a good little machine although parts are getting harder to find. Some had a "creeper" gear which would be nice to have, mine doesn't.

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 12:58am
A 54 probably has the 226 gas engine used in the WD45 but I don't know exactly when the WD45 series ended and the D17 started. The engines are essentialy the same and engine parts are readily available. There do not seem to be parts machines around as I and others have posted requests for parts and have not had responses. That being said the drive train seems to be quite tough so if the machine is treated decently you should not need parts. If the drive chains are stretched it is not hard to buy replacement chain. The tires look good and are the same tread as mine. It is important to have the same tires on all four drive wheels as all four wheels are locked together. It almost looks as if there are wheel weights on the rear wheels. I see that it has the leaning front axle. I can't see what other options that it might have such as a power circle. I am assuming that it is an Alberta machine so I am surprised that it doen't have a cab.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 6:07am
Check gear boxes, for level, color of fluid, evidence of damage, on the components.  There are inspection covers, top of box.  There is s stub shaft that commonly breaks, between the diff, and the gear boxes, on either side.  Check the steering box, if not PS, and tilt, make sure that manual worm don't jump.  What's the asking price?

Edited by DiyDave - 14 Jun 2012 at 6:08am
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 9:07am
They are asking 5000$.  Not sure, probably offer somewhat less. Not something I can use more than on about 500 ft of driveway, but if it is up to snuff, can do a lot better than either my old JD dozer or the 3 point hitch blade.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Reindeer Reindeer wrote:

They are asking 5000$.  Not sure, probably offer somewhat less. Not something I can use more than on about 500 ft of driveway, but if it is up to snuff, can do a lot better than either my old JD dozer or the 3 point hitch blade.

I paid $ 5900, for mine in the before obummer economy.  That price is prolly a little high, but it does have a set of wheel weights.  Mine is a DD special, with all the bells and whistles.  I'd deal for lower, if it does not have PS, but that's just me.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 9:59pm
Check the transmission housing for cracks.  
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:23am
David, I paid $2900 for mine about 8 years ago. The only extra bells a whistles it had was the cab and leaning front axle. I realised after I had it that it had suffered some neglect and abuse by the previous owner. I would love to find parts to add the powered circle and find the drop down auxiliary gear box option. These are not too important if you are just doing simple driveway grading. From what I can see in the picture it looks pretty good for a 50+ year old machine. Most of the D graders that I have seen had some cracking on the tube frame and had some welds and reinforcement added. If that machine hasn't had any frame repairs then it may not have had much abuse. You can take the plates off the top of the chain boxes and check the condition of the drive chains. If they are really sloppy they can jump on the sprockets. My grader had two loose rear drive wheels that I contributed to a manufacturing error as the nuts were tight but the washers had come up hard against a boss on the axle before the wheel was tight on the axle. The big problem was that the previous owners continued to use it that way and it cost me over $700 to correct the problem. I have encountered two others that had a similar problem, one on a D grader and one on a M65 grader. They didn't have axle or hub damage so I told them to have cupped washers made up so that the wheels could be properly tightened to the axles.    
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:37am
Lots of good pointers.  Here's the ad.  There are more pics, so thought best to let everyone look it over.  Thanks for all the comments.  I don't have experience with graders  beyond an old leaning wheel Adams towed behind a tractor.
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-heavy-equipment-heavy-equipment-Allis-Chalmers-grader-W0QQAdIdZ381993762

Edited by Reindeer - 15 Jun 2012 at 10:38am

LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 10:58am
Seems kinda spendy, though I've never been around that particular type.
Bought a Cat12 (8t) for $2500 last summer, didn't need much work.

But I'm no expert.
I'm looking at an older and small grader the folks want $400 for, If I get more information I'll pass it on, I don't mind someone else getting it because I don't need it AT ALL! But I didn't want the scrappers to get a machine that I think would still work fine. (think its got a GM diesel in it)
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 5:26pm
From the photos it is the basic grader plus the leaning front wheels. It appears as if there has been some welding and reinforcing of the tube frame which is not uncommon. It looks as if the generator has been replaced with an alternator. If the steering gear box is good and the transmission and the crown and pinion gears are good then most everything else can be repaired if there are problems. They weigh about 9500 lbs. if you have to factor in some shipping. I would start off offering in the $3000 range since it is over 50 years old and some parts for the drive train may be impossible to find. I have done a lot of modifications to mine to make it more user friendly such as adding power steering, foot controlled throttle and shifting the moldboard controls so that I can use one hand to control the moldboard and steer with the other hand.
KRAKMT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRAKMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 2:52pm
For what it is worth I noticed this one when I was surfing craislist-
http://kpr.craigslist.org/grd/3050752542.html

krusty View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 3:13pm
I think the price is to high. Makes me laugh when I read the 'ran when parked' in any form of ad. I wish I found me an orange D but ended up with a yellow D. My preference was one that was not all welded to heck on the frame. The rest can always be scrounged.
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 4:16pm
I went and looked at it, but don't think it would be worth the work and they money I'd have to pay to get it running and working again, for the size of my project.  And unless it is  for can be useful to me, no go. I'll keep looking and thanks for all the helpful and constructive comments.  I learned a lot.

Edited by Reindeer - 22 Jun 2012 at 4:16pm

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 10:31am
Another site to look at if you want to see what they are asking for some used Allis graders is www.machinerytrader.com
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 11:11pm
Guy who ran a dozer salvage yard told me they were weak in the ring gear/pinoin area.I suspect many operators tried taking too big of cut.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 12:42pm
Steve, I have heard that comment once before but over the years following forums discussing the D grader I have only seen one person trying to find one. In that instance one person said that new ones were available but expensive. Someone else thought that they were a Ford truck crown and pinion. Someone else thought the whole transmission and final drive was made by Clarke. For the number of these graders that were made you don't see many in salvage yards. Under certain conditions where the load causes wheel slippage you can get drive train windup or hop and if you don't hit the clutch right away I could see that breaking an axle or tearing teeth off the crown or pinion.
66impalarhd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66impalarhd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:54am
Can you tell me where I can get new drive chains from.
My DD has narrow chain links that don't seem to be available.
The rollers are only 3/4" wide whereas standard chain is 1" wide.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:00pm
I ordered new chain a few years ago from a bulk chain supplier. I gave them the information on the chain from my parts book and they had similar chain in stock and I the new chain within a week. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic