This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What a dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What a dilemma
    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:14am
There are three Allis Chalmers for sale that I want. They are all cheap and close to home. I can only have 1.
First is a wide front CA. Looks good been sitting and hooked to a 3pt brush hog.
Second (this is the one I think I want) but biggest gamble. A D14 rotten tires and been sitting. Sheet metal looks very good. Add says 1957
And last night a WD 45 with a 4 bolt wide front showed up for sale. It needs a grill shell and gas tank which I have hanging in my shop. Tires look decent. Been sitting
I already have a WD45 but that doesn’t bother me.
I need to make a move and pass the others on to a friend.
Sponsored Links

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:20am
All three most likely need fixing, tires and rims are costly but you can see their condition more easily so I would go with the one that has the best tires and rims.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:41am
I'd go for the D14. I sure like mine. Darrel
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:47am
Originally posted by B26240 B26240 wrote:

All three most likely need fixing, tires and rims are costly but you can see their condition more easily so I would go with the one that has the best tires and rims.

I can’t see the tires on the ca well but they’re all up and holding air.
The tires look a little dry on the WD45 but up and holding air. Not very good pics.
The tires on the D14 are rotten and split from sitting. Lots of good pics of this one. The spin out rims look good in pics. I don’t know where I’d ever find 26” tires but I really want this tractor.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 6:49am
Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

if it’s still there in the morning I’ll try for it. What size tires are on the back of yours?
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:42am
What job or jobs are you planning to do with the tractor? Or just have it for fun? Depends on what you would use it for, but if just for fun, i'd go with the CA, they are almoist a 75% version of the wd45 but more operator comfort.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Alex09(WI) Alex09(WI) wrote:

What job or jobs are you planning to do with the tractor? Or just have it for fun? Depends on what you would use it for, but if just for fun, i'd go with the CA, they are almoist a 75% version of the wd45 but more operator comfort.

I have 10 tractors and don’t need it. I have owned several B’s and C’s and WDand 45’s and a nice pair of D14’s but never a CA.
My first tractor was a D14 and that is my reason for wanting another and high/low and ease of getting on and off.
I truly believe if I had a D series tractor it would get much more use as a working tractor.
A D series feels much safer in the steep rough country. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:50am
D14 gets my vote!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:57am
YEP.......... D14 all the way !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:39am
Get the CA for Jenn, and then the D14 for you!!! Wink
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

The tires look a little dry on the WD45 but up and holding air. Not very good pics.
The tires on the D14 are rotten and split from sitting. Lots of good pics of this one. The spin out rims look good in pics. I don’t know where I’d ever find 26” tires but I really want this tractor.

I’ve got some 26” tires Thad. Lots of tread and hold air. On combine rims. I’ld let them go pretty reasonable. No use for them
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

I’ve got some 26” tires Thad. Lots of tread and hold air. On combine rims. I’ld let them go pretty reasonable. No use for them

I’ll keep that in mind on this deal. Are you interested in either of these other projects?
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:51pm
You can't go wrong on a CA 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 2:16pm
flip a coin CA or D-14, can't go wrong....
Combine rims and tires on 1.5 of my D-14s....
Had a CA, it was a SWEET tractor....sniff,sniff...sold to pay pty taxes...
 I'd get the CA, smaller machine but you have already a  WD.

OK, who am I kidding, I'd buy them both !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

I’ll keep that in mind on this deal. Are you interested in either of these other projects?

Happy to help with the tires. You’d like the price. Gotta pass on anymore projects...... just too many other things. Been tempted to go look at a running CA nearby but out of room and time.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 4:10pm
I have a shop manual that includes the CA on line that could help it it's care:

http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf

I don't have any manuals for Ds.
Gerald J.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 5:12pm
Thad, I have a CA, WD45 and D-14. I love all of them, but the CA is a real treat to use: lots of guts, smaller than the other two, and (if the hand clutch is solid) it's got live pto. D-14 is easiest to get on/off, but the CA is a close second. Since you've never had a CA, I'd go for that one. Or, as jaybmiller said, get both of them! Especially with B26240's offer of some good used rubber.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 5:40pm

Originally posted by darrel in ND darrel in ND wrote:

if it’s still there in the morning I’ll try for it. What size tires are on the back of yours?

I have either 13.9 or 14.9 by 26 on mine. I got a set for it from Eldon quite a few years ago, and they have worked out well. Darrel
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:01pm
That buy all three take two over to scotts house you can rotate them through one at a time and he might fall in love with one
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:14pm
The 14 is most refined and has the most potential uses.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:00pm
Buy all three and beg for forgiveness.  It is easier than asking for permission.  I have four sitting in  my driveway now that are in various states of disrepair or parts tractors.  All were to good to pass up.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 3:32am
I would get the D14 just because it would be more handy but if money is an issue get the CA. It is a nice problem to have if you ask me.🤔
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 11:23am
D14 and 28" tires fit and look just fine.  If you want pis of one, let me know.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

D14 and 28" tires fit and look just fine.  If you want pis of one, let me know.

Do you mean WD/WD45 spinouts?
Love to see the pics. I really appreciate this.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 11:03pm
I've already got 2 CA's and I'd get another at the drop of a hat.  SO,,,,,,,,,,if you decide on the D-14, put that CA on a trailer and make a road trip up here!
I know I'm not much help, but that's just too bad buddy!  Pffftt!  I've never had a 14 so I know nothing about it.  The only D series I have is a D-17 I.  I hardly use it, as I love my WD45 too much.

ME, I'd take BOTH of the little ones and skip the ,,,,,,,,,,,I'm lying, I'd go get ALL 3 of em...especially if the price is right.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 6:56am
My wait until the weekend deal wont work these days. The D14 and WD 45 were both gone quick at $500.00 each. The ca shows to still be there but I can’t get a reply.
savedallis1953 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savedallis1953 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 6:53pm
"dilemma" we have the "lack of" dilemma here in Florida, as in hard to find any in good shape for the prices you guys pay for em up north. But we have better weather.
1953 WD, 1953 WD, WD engine with WD-45 crankshaft.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 3:24am
honeymoon is over!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic