This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well, I knew i didn't need to mow the grass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well, I knew i didn't need to mow the grass
    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:22pm
Bought a new self propelled walk behind last May. It can't have 15 hours on it. Was mowing grass, when it blew oil out the filler, filler cap blew off, and big cloud of blue smoke out the exhaust. shut it off immediately. 
let cool, checked the oil, still 'nuff in it so I fired it up, started on first pull and run strong, but blue smoke! shut it off. I'm thinking broken ring.
grass was thick, and wet, and full of leaves, but I would have thought it would stall before it would do damage
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 8:27am
  Dang, that does sound catastrophic like the ring or hole in piston.

2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:12am
It may have had too much oil in it and the pressure blew it into places that normally don't get oil.  That's is what is causing the blue smoke.  Raise the mower up and cut it twice.  If it runs okay then keep using it.  I have an old self propelled that burns blue smoke all the time.  It's been doing it for years, I think I bought it in 1987.  I got a little too much oil in it.  I just go with idea it's my mosquito control machine.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:44am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

It may have had too much oil in it and the pressure blew it into places that normally don't get oil.  That's is what is causing the blue smoke.  Raise the mower up and cut it twice.  If it runs okay then keep using it.  I have an old self propelled that burns blue smoke all the time.  It's been doing it for years, I think I bought it in 1987.  I got a little too much oil in it.  I just go with idea it's my mosquito control machine.
No , not too much oil, I check it every time I use it, and have not added any since new. Like NG says, I think broken ring, or hole in piston, maybe cracked cylinder. 

The sad part is, it has a two year warranty, it is six months old, that is why I dont want to run it any more until I get a warranty claim in. However, it is a Husqvarna, mower, with a Briggs and Stratton motor. Husquvarna does not warranty the motor, and B+S went belly up, so I may be screwed!
Wait for the Lord;
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 12:19pm
Did the crankcase breather plug?
Maximum use of available resources!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Did the crankcase breather plug?

Well, that was my first thought, I assume the crankcase vents via the oil filler cap and there was no debris around it. But it might benefit from a second look.
Wait for the Lord;
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 6:11pm
I don't know if Briggs still has these or not, if so, probably just on the smaller ones,  but this is what I was thinking.
Maximum use of available resources!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 6:51pm
hmmmm, i will need to look into that!
thanks JW
Wait for the Lord;
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

[QUOTE=john(MI)]

However, it is a Husqvarna, mower, with a Briggs and Stratton motor. Husquvarna does not warranty the motor, and B+S went belly up, so I may be screwed!

Interesting..... My sister-in-law has a Husqvarna push mower with a B&S engine she bought last fall on clearance and used it a few times. Tried to start it this year and won't start. I checked it out for her and the pull rope pulled way to easy. She did say it was making a "funny noise" as she finished mowing the last time she used it.

Stuck my finger by the spark plug hole and very little compression.  I told her either the valves are bent or whatever moves the valves is broke. She said she didn't hit anything while mowing and the shaft looked fine.

It is under warranty but she doesn't have the purchase receipt because she moved about 9 months ago and threw it away. I had no answers for her but did get her old lawnmower running. Don't know what she did with the "new" mower. 
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by iowallis iowallis wrote:

Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

[QUOTE=john(MI)]

However, it is a Husqvarna, mower, with a Briggs and Stratton motor. Husquvarna does not warranty the motor, and B+S went belly up, so I may be screwed!

Interesting..... My sister-in-law has a Husqvarna push mower with a B&S engine she bought last fall on clearance and used it a few times. Tried to start it this year and won't start. I checked it out for her and the pull rope pulled way to easy. She did say it was making a "funny noise" as she finished mowing the last time she used it.

Stuck my finger by the spark plug hole and very little compression.  I told her either the valves are bent or whatever moves the valves is broke. She said she didn't hit anything while mowing and the shaft looked fine.

It is under warranty but she doesn't have the purchase receipt because she moved about 9 months ago and threw it away. I had no answers for her but did get her old lawnmower running. Don't know what she did with the "new" mower. 

I have the warranty papers from mine, it says you don't have to have the receipt, but they will use the SN to determine it's age, so if it set too long on the dealers shelf, she may be screwed. warranty is 24 months HTH

Edited by LouSWPA - 02 Nov 2020 at 5:21pm
Wait for the Lord;
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 5:38pm
LouSWPA-- Thanks, I will let her know.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 8:01pm
MILWAUKEE, WI (September 23, 2020) – Briggs & Stratton, a recognized global leader in providing power to get work done, announced today that KPS Capital Partners, LP (“KPS”), through a newly formed affiliate, has acquired substantially all of the assets of Briggs & Stratton Corporation and certain of its wholly-owned subsidiaries (collectively, “Briggs & Stratton”, the “Company” or the “Acquired Business”). KPS acquired the assets free and clear of substantially all liens, claims, encumbrances and interests through a sale under Section 363 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri formally approved the transaction on September 15, 2020. With the completion of the sale to KPS, the Acquired Business has successfully exited from its Chapter 11 Bankruptcy proceeding. 

Briggs & Stratton will now operate as an independent company with the long-term support of KPS, a leading global private equity investor with a demonstrated track record of successfully transforming businesses and creating profitable, growing companies. KPS, with approximately $11.5 billion of assets under management, works to advance the strategic position, competitiveness and profitability of its investments to create world-class, industry-leading companies.  

Briggs & Stratton launches as a well-capitalized company, unencumbered by over $900 million of its predecessor’s legacy obligations, and access to the financial resources required to execute its ambitious business improvement and growth plans.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/news-room/briggs-and-stratton-announces-sale-to-kps-capital-partners.html

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic