This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weather and crop report in your neck of the woods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weather and crop report in your neck of the woods
    Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:04pm
I'm curious what the growing conditions are like in your part of the world. The big crop report coming on Thursday has me worried about the markets but I wonder what things are like in your real world. In my little pocket of SWMO we went from too wet to do anything most all spring to dry as a bone. Corn was planted a month or more later than usual, beans at least 3 weeks late. My corn nearly got drowned then has had nothing but dry since. I started planting beans when it was borderline too wet and it was nearly too dry by the time we got done 6 days later. I need rain to bring some up (not to mention to active the high dollar herbicide). You don't have to go too far to find guys that have caught a rain or two I've missed, but what else is new with life in the Midwest...
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:20pm
Very dry in the western portion of the ‘hill country’, into the Permian Basin of Texas. Mostly dry land cotton planted in this region. Ground is being worked, ‘pop up thunderstorms’ of the hit or miss variety the past couple days.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 4:07am
Here in Southern Michigan we were wet pretty much the entire planting window. We have Corn at all stages from knee high to just out of the ground. Soybeans were late with some farmers just finishing and others replanting as seed either drowned or the ground got packed so no emergence. Now we are really dry!
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 5:08am
Planted corn and beans in the last week of April.
Corn is about 7-8 ft tall, would like to post pictures but don't know how.
Rain is good so far this summer, averaging about 1in or more every week. 
Made the first cutting of hay Memorial Day weekend with no rain, second cutting almost ready, that is what the deer left for me. Only alfalfa in the area. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 6:39am
Originally posted by nella(Pa) nella(Pa) wrote:

Planted corn and beans in the last week of April.
Corn is about 7-8 ft tall, would like to post pictures but don't know how.
Rain is good so far this summer, averaging about 1in or more every week. 
Made the first cutting of hay Memorial Day weekend with no rain, second cutting almost ready, that is what the deer left for me. Only alfalfa in the area. 
Wow!  Went through PA farm country in 2018 in late May, and I was very surprised about how far "ahead" of us you guys are.  Sounds the same this year.

We were very wet and VERY COLD through April and early May.  Normally would like to plant oats/alfalfa first in April then corn and beans.  Reversed that this year because April was a total no-go and there's a lot more money riding on the corn and beans.  My corn looks about the best of anyone's around, about mid-thigh high and beautiful rich green color.  It got very hot and dry and windy the last couple weeks, got a much needed soaker last night.  Beans I planted on 5/24, 5/29, and 6/3.  As you'd expect, they're pretty short.  Hopefully they'll catch up and turn out.  My first field planted was an absolute CARPET of lambsquarter.  Got that sprayed and they're perking up.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 7:01am
Just made a run to Washington MO Monday for wife's eye doc appointment, did two alternate routes due to hwy work and can say you all are about a full two months ahead of us. Most Corn is struggling here, some has made 3 feet tall, most is under 2 feet and spotty in fields as did not achieve proper ground heat early enough to propagate from seed.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 8:31am
Crops are starting to look good around here, early stuff is taking off growing. I don't think we are going to see the high average yields we had last year as we had 1 heavy 4 inch rain that caused some water damage. Rain has been spotty here last night we got a 1/4 and 5 miles away they got a 1/2. We could use a good soaking 1 inch rain.
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 8:48am
It is very dry here where we live. Rains have been spotty. It seems like it rains all around us this year. We had 1.44" for May, and 2.3" so far in June in 6 rain events. The crops look great early in the morning with excellent color, but are really moisture stressed every afternoon with corn leaves rolled and beans looking somewhat wilted. If it rains soon there will be no harm done, but we can't go on to much longer this way. Corn is normal size for this time of the year, 4 to 5 feet tall.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 10:13am
Dry here, MOST of the beans here had to be re-planted since the first planting never sprouted. corn looks anywhere from 6" high to head high with a bunch of yellow spots in the fields so looks like crap. In general around here crops dont look the greatest right now.
Combines will have to go more rounds before getting the hopper full this time.
The re-planted beans dont look like they will make 10 bushels and acre. Rains could help a bit but not likely.
Some of the fields have the plants burned off with all the chems they THINK they gotta dump on so what they yield is a toss up!

Edited by ac fleet - 29 Jun 2022 at 10:14am
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic