This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wd45 top link bracket question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroy4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wd45 top link bracket question
    Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 4:28pm

Hoping someone can help me sort this out. Recently acquired a wd45 that came with a 3pt conversion kit. But I can't figure out if this top link bracket is any way compatible or can be modified to fit. If not, what other options are out there? Thank you.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 5:12pm
Most of the ones for the WD amd WD45 that I've seen are the clamp on type that clamp on to the rockshaft, in the last picture.  I would take your bracket, and go to the tractor in question, and see if the holes in it match up to any holes/bolts, in the rear casting...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 6:24pm
here is one option that uses 4 bolts on the rear cover... possibly YOUR first bracket bolts to the TOP TWO bolts, and slides OVER THE ROCK SHAFT and is boxed in with the cover bracket ???  ........ like DAVE says, the STRAP is the most common around the Rock Shaft.

Edited by steve(ill) - 20 Mar 2023 at 6:25pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 6:29pm
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 9:03pm

Your big bracket looks like a D17/D19.

The wrap strap pictured above is the common modern wd/WD45 replacement. Original WD was a two piece cast bracket with ears that bolted to the rock shaft.

Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2023 at 9:17pm
This is the factory top link bracket
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:40am
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:54pm
I believe this is a factory top link that attaches to the rock shaft, as mentioned above.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 2:58pm
Couple more pix.  I have heard they can go for $100 and up to $200 on ebay.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:20pm
The original orients the toplink in the correct direction, unlike steiner's.  But steiners is better than nothing...Wink
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:22pm
The above is correct.  The strap style is one we sell and we have an improved one that we designed.
The original post has one I've never seen.  The cast on that clamps is far better but difficult to find and Ive bought  salvage tractors just to get them.
JimD
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Leroy4 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroy4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:58pm
Thanks for all the feedback and recommendations guys. Still at a loss with how my bracket mounts on the tractor, it's possible I suppose with some modifications. Anyone have one the original AC 3pts that mount on the rock shaft? Probably far fetched, but thought I'd ask. Couldn't find any on online or ebay. Thanks again.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:33pm
would your bracket bolt to the top 2 bolts of the rear cover and then clamp around the rock shaft ?? ........ dont know about the size, but thats what it looks like..

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 12:05am
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

Leroy4 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroy4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:45am
Originally posted by JimD JimD wrote:

https://oktractor.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_15_196&products_id=200&zenid=pahuflcbu99n8pi6s6oa3mh8a5

here's the one we designed and sell.

Would you need anything on the sides of that bracket to prevent side to side movement? Also, are they designed to move up/down or should they be fixated in some way? Thanks.
Leroy4 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroy4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 11:47am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

would your bracket bolt to the top 2 bolts of the rear cover and then clamp around the rock shaft ?? ........ dont know about the size, but thats what it looks like..

I see what you mean. I'll try to get some better pictures with the bracket in place. Thank you. 
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 6:49pm
The newstyle helps wide side load causing it to slide, but doesn't stop it.  The narrow one would buckle on my customers and jolt things around.  Ive had customers weld them in place, but it's not my preferred solution.  I was able to score a factory one on my WD and then later I used it on my 45. I have always felt the toplink bracket was the weakest designed part of our hitches, but the factory refuses to do any more than what I accomplished.   Now I run a D10 with factory 3pt.

SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 8:01pm

Here is one that I made and works good. Split pipe around cross bar and bolts down below into pto bracket.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic