This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 power steering works in one direction?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 power steering works in one direction?
    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 6:19am
I know that I have seen this posted before but could not find it via search. I have been hoodwinked into repairing a neighbor's WD45 with factory power steering that only works in one direction. I have never been into one of them and any advise or tips before I remove the unit and tear into it? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 6:21am
If it is factory power steering, don't yank off the control valve just yet !!!  There is a "centering" adjustment that can be changed in chassis.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 6:25am
Thanks Dr! Yes factory PS and exactly what I was looking for, an easy fix Only manual I have is an IT. I assume that adjustment is external?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 6:32am
I've only done two of them in 40 years. There's a small cover you remove on the top side to access a bolt or screw to change the centering. Leave your hands off the steering wheel when you start it. You will be a hero when done.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 7:12am
For you it will be very easy. If the rest of the power steering unit is good, should take you 15 minutes to adjust.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 7:22am
Remove cover on both ends. Loosen bolt in end of spool, on other end, use a big screw driver to rotate spool. Screw cw or ccw until it steers same both directions . Don't take much.               MACK
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
Is normal for them to favor one direction a little at start up. Be sure to have fluid warmed up before adjusting. It seems to change with temp.  A little is a lot when adjusting. When its good hot it will likely still go one direction at cold start.....live with it.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:46am
The wisdom is priceless, but Darn... I was hoping to find a corny joke in this thread somewhere!! LOLLOL

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

The wisdom is priceless, but Darn... I was hoping to find a corny joke in this thread somewhere!! LOLLOL

Guess it’s because we don’t know if it goes left or right?
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 4:27pm
Mine always went right at startup when set to work correctly when warm.....
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:30pm
It must be a NASCAR unit!LOL
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:47am
I had the same problem with mine about 7 or 8 years back and MACK suggested I do the same to mine and it was spot on and had it working correctly in 5 minutes.  Thanks again for that MACK.Smile
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic