This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 lights
    Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 7:11pm
This question may show my ignorance, but I must ask....I have the WD45 my late dad bought new in 1955. (I am on the same farm, so it has lived here all its life). Back in the 1960's the dealer put in an 8volt battery because dad thought it started too hard in winter.it was always replaced with an 8volt when a new battery was needed. Here comes the question.. The dealer disconnected the lights because he said 8 volts would burn out the 6 volt lights.   Is this true ?? We have used this tractor in daytime only for 60 years...if the lights would work, it would be kinda nice to hook them up... Or if not, are there 8 volt bulbs? (This is a working farm tractor, not a show tractor)....thank you...Dan
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 7:42pm
My dad bought a '53 WD, it had only been used as a demo by the dealer, I made a mistake and the block froze, I had a new block put in it, which raised the compression, then I had to put a 8 volt battery in it. If I remember right the lights still worked OK. The worse that might happen is the lamps might burn out.      

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 7:46pm
Most of the new "LED" type bulbs will work 6-30 volts or 12-80 volt systems.. You can buy one with a case already installed and just BOLT ON... This one is SUPPOSE to replace your original bulb and use the old case.... maybe ?? .... from AMAZON..

I think the "PAR36" mean it puts out the equivalant of 36 WATTS  ( on an incandesent bulb)..... but  LED only pulls 5 Watts... or less than 1 amp each on a 8 v system.

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Jul 2023 at 7:49pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 7:52pm
this is what it says in the upper left corner...

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 7:56pm
One suggestion.. apparently you have had good luck with the 8 v in the past.. If you ever have a generator problem, or need a new battery...... i would consider updating to a 12    volt system.... New alternator for $100. .... battery for $100. ....new COIL $25.... starter and wiring are OK.

with a lot of new 48 v systems ( 6 x 8 volt) ........ maybe the battery selection will continue to be good ??

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Jul 2023 at 7:58pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 8:15pm
The 6V bulbs should be fine on 8V.  It's when you throw 12V's to em' they go ka-blewy..
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 8:21pm
The old 6 volt generator will even put out enough to keep the 8 volt battery charged.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 2:04am
The old original 6 volt Delco generator works fine on my now 12 volt WD45 with a cut-out. Been this way for 11 years now.

Edited by DrAllis - 29 Jul 2023 at 2:05am
Newwood View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 8:06am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

The old original 6 volt Delco generator works fine on my now 12 volt WD45 with a cut-out. Been this way for 11 years now.

Dr. A: Well, that's interesting.  I assume it still has a magnito ignition.  Did you change to a 12v cutout?
Driverdan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 9:11am
Thank you guys for the responses !! The thought of making the lights work again never occurred to me because it has been like forever not working! I guess I will give it a shot and just see how it goes..thanks again, I appreciate true support. Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic