This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wd45 in need of more power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wd45 in need of more power
    Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 6:17am
I have a stock wd45 tractor with an m serial number gleaner e engine I pulled in the 5000 pound class tractor weighted in at 4790 hard packed clay track I was in second gear and ran out of power I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any tricks for adding a little bit of power without going overboard thanks Ben
Sponsored Links

Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 6:28am
2nd gear? That is asking a lot from a stock 226. IMHO

What RPM's do you run? 14.9x28"s?

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Ben s View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 6:32am
I have a wd45 governor spring and weights and I'm running 13.6x28 I wondered if I was asking to much out of the old girl I should of come here and asked first
Zaddison View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 6:33am
I would try a lighter class and a lower gear first. I don't know anything about your tractor but at 5000lbs in second is going to take some pretty good power if your running 38s. Power cost money and there's not any cheap tricks in my opinion that will get you there.
Ben s View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 6:44am
Ok I will try it in the 4000 pound class next time and in first gear next time. Would it be worth my while to add a d17 governor spring?
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 6:52am
I have not seen many stock WD series pull in second gear. Maybe if you had a lot more horse power as you mentioned. But that will not be cheap either as mentioned. Try lighter and first gear. Good luck and take some pictures for us too. Have fun too!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 7:31am
The governor spring from a D-17 will help you when running low gear by adding RPM's, which increases ground speed. It will not make it spin out in second gear in the class you just killed the engine in. I ran my own WD-45 with 14.9 x 28's at a July 4th pull in second gear on a black dirt track weighing 4,000 pounds, and just barely spun it out in second gear, and it has D-17 pistons and sleeves. Mine should be the same engine HP as your Gleaner engine. Those engines are rated at 63 flywheel HP @ 1650 RPM loaded. With ignition timing set to 25 degrees BTDC at full throttle and everything else in proper tune, it will NEVER be more than that 63 HP number. Only easy thing you can do is get a larger 1 inch venturi for the carb or switch to a larger carb similar to a D-19 style. That is all you can do to increase HP without getting internal.
Ben s View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 7:36am
Ok guys thank you very much for the information as always this forum is the best I will change the governor spring out, run in first next pull and get it down to 4000 pounds
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 8:04am
Ben, not saying you can't pull 5000. You can, but use 1st gear.
Sled type matters also. A large Sled like they use for truck/Pro-stock tracks pulls very hard, these are the type you typically see at fairs.
I can barely move those since they weigh so much. But a smaller sled I can pull much better.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Ben s View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 8:08am
Ya it was a big transfer sled I'm going to do some playing around
AC puller View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 8:26pm
I put a wd45 deisel ring and pinion in my 45.Can spin out in 5000lb class 2nd gear,stock motor with 38's.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 9:14pm
Well, all it takes is a post like that to confuse everyone. I'll grant you that changing the ring & pinion slows things down about 15%. I'll also say that going from 14.9 x 28's to 15.5 x 38's are about a 15% increase in speed. So, what we have here is pretty much a wash in actual gear ratio/ground speed. You claim to be able to "spin it out" in a 5,000 pound class in second gear??? Looks to me like there are a few missing details...... like how high of drawbar?? and the track must have been sand or lime or gravel??? and the chain on the sled was 6 feet long??? and the rear tires were 12.4 x 38's and were bald ??? A second gear spin-out at 5,000 lbs with good 38 inch rear rubber with a "STOCK" engine?? really?? You would never be able to do what is claimed around here with 28 inch tires in a 5,000 pound class in second gear....we have much better dirt than that!!
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 8:59pm
Yeah. What he said.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic