This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Help / Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Help / Advice
    Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 2:34pm
I am looking at buying a WD45 about four hours from my house.  I have seen some pictures but more are being sent to me.

What should I be looking for?  What makes it worth more or worth less?  How can I tell if the power steering is factory or add on?  Is one better then the other?

It is quite a drive and I want to be sure before I drive out.

Help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:13pm
David go the classifieds on this forum and look at the picture in the post of WD45 power steering.  That tractor has factory power steering.  The Char Lynn is a good unit, but not near as big as the factory, and not as clean an installation.  The 45 is a good tractor, check for rusted rims, if it runs see if it slips out of 3rd gear when going down hill, and check to see if the pto works.  3rd gear and the pto were probably the two weakest links.  Still a good tractor.  The power steering is virtually trouble free.
The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
PennsylvaniaNewt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 3:55pm
Does anyone have a better picture of what factory PS looks like compared to after market.  With my eyes it is hard to tell with that photo.

Lester View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:03pm
I have a WD45 with factory and one with char lynn and I think the char lynn is better and not as apt to oversteer . 

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:12pm
Ok dumb question!  What is oversteer?
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:38pm
Here's a shot of factory power steering.
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

OrangePowerGA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:17pm
Make sure it's a 45 and not a straight WD if that's what you're after.  They can be confused very easy, and sometimes thry have the wrong decals.

Can you post pictures of the tractor, and the serial number?
AC - WD
JD - 650
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:24pm
The serial number given me checks out to be a WD45.  I dont want to post pix in case someone knows of it I dont wanna get in a bidding war.
dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 6:59pm
The list is so long the ride will be worth it, anyone else jump in and add. I have some great friends on this forum and have put me on the right track when repairs were needed. My 1954 WD45 has about $2000.00 in repairs since I bought it and I would not have done it any other way or traded a minute in that seat!
Danny
Bought February 2009

October 2010
1-rims rusted out at valve stems
2-how does it sound and run under power
3-does it have any cracks in the block (look by the antifreeze drain)
4-does the hand clutch "snap" when pushed forward
5-tire$ get real costly if there bad
6-check front and rear mains leaking 
7-does the charging system work
8-drop inspection plate and look at clutch
9-check oil in transmission
10-hows the radiator and cooling system look, (does it overheat or run cold)
11-are all the parts still on tractor (tool box, headlights, taillight)
12-did it have a can over exhust pipe and boot over shifter.

Edited by dannyraddatz - 15 Jan 2011 at 7:00pm
Danny Raddatz
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 7:10pm
also ck on the rt side of the block ,just under the head and behind the distributor,for a plate that is bolted on,45,s dont have the plate and straight wd does.engine may have been swapped...
RickUP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 7:12pm
Lets not forget, the 4 bolt is better than the the 3 bolt,if it's a wide front.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennsylvaniaNewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by j.w.freck j.w.freck wrote:

also ck on the rt side of the block ,just under the head and behind the distributor,for a plate that is bolted on,45,s dont have the plate and straight wd does.engine may have been swapped...

Anyone have a picture of this plate?

dannyraddatz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyraddatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:30pm
Here's a picture of how your Wd45 Block should look.
Danny Raddatz
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:02pm
you are right as rain rick,there is a worlds difference in the 3 bolt and 4 bolt nose gear boxes.especially with a set of 4 row front mount cultivators or a loader and with power steering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic