This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Diesel, whats it worth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Diesel, whats it worth?
    Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:57pm
Hi guys, I don't get to post much any more, just to busy, but I always like to read up here when I get a chance.  I think I have decided to sell my WD45 Diesel and am kinda wondering what some price ideas might be?  Its a narrow front 45, make a nice resto project, is average shape, I have not had it running but the engine turns over, oil is nice and black and anti freeze is green!  I may try to start it if I get a chance, owner that had it said pull it ten feet and it will fire right up.  Anyways wondering whats it worth?  Any one interested maybe? thanks, Larry.
Sponsored Links

Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 6:43am
My two cents after being down the road with a 45D is the differance between "runs good with no problems" and anything less than that is a large stack of $100 bills. So  it is well worth your time and effort to start it and know the condition of the engine especialy if it does indeed turn out to be OK. It would be worth no less to me if you find it to have problems than not knowing one way or the other, others may think differantly. Clean oil and anti freeze doesnt mean no hi buck problems are lurking inside of a 6BD230, been there, done that.  If the engine has not been turned in the time you have owned it DONT turn it now before removing the injection pump and being sure it is not stuck or that little and not available shaft could bite you in your wallet.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 30 Jun 2011 at 6:46am
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 8:53am
I would say there is at least a $1500 difference between running and not running. AT LEAST !
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:37am
You should take Butch's advice, Do not pull it or turn the engine unless you check the injector pump. They will stick and break that shaft. Coop97 can tell you all about this. Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Michael Crowe View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Crowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:39am

I have had friends ask me how much they should offer on various WD45 Diesels, and my answer has always been, unless you can start it up and hear the motor run, walk away from it unless you plan to tear it down and do a full rebuild on the motor.  Like Butch said, even a running 45 D motor most likely has problems just around the corner unless it was taken care of.  The problem is back in their heyday, most farmers did not know to warm the motor up before putting a load on the motor and then to cool it back down before they shut it off; consequently cracked blocks, cracked heads, etc. And I will reiterate, do not even attempt to turn the motor over even by hand until you know that the pump is free and the only way to do that is to take it off and have it checked out.  So the long story is, unless the condition of the motor is known to be good, i.e. it starts without ether and runs fine, for my own money, I would not touch it.  I would rather wait to find one that has all the correct diesel features and runs fine. Please do not misunderstand, I absolutely love those tractors, but I am realistic enough to know that most today have problems that cost a bunch of money to fix, and that a WD45Diesel with a motor and or pump that is not what came from the factory is not a WD45 Diesel and certainly not worthy of collector status value. As I see it, the only way to sell that tractor and to realize its potential, it has to run well.  I know a few guys who have bought non running tractors and most gave up on the project as they did not know the extent of the motor issues.

The 14th Annual Exclusive AC Swap Meet will be held in Boonville, MO, March 7-8, 2025. See the club website for details: http://www.moacclub.com/
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 1:20pm
I'll chime in and agree with the others. Pull that pump and check it BEFORE you turn the engine at all. If the pump spins freely, service all the engine fluids and start it up. Big difference in price between "starts/runs good" than "it ran good when parked". I just finished a complete overhaul on a 262 (same basic eng) and like Michael says they can still have expensive problems and run.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 2:40pm
Knowing Larry and the fine work that comes out of his diesel shop, I bet he has crossed those bridges before....Good to hear from you Larry.  Did you ever make use of that "mistake in idenity..." monster I brought back from OH?    Good Luck on the tractor....Dale
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 3:17pm
mike crowe said it all in a very condense4d summary.i have 4 45-d all were running except 2 of them.the last one i dismantled,th block and the head were both boat anchors.the block was not only cracked but chunks fell out of it when the head was removed(with the aid of a bottle jack between the frame and the #1 and
# 6 energy cells) as mike said these engines were really abused due to the advent of transition from gas to diesel at the time.if the top end was as strong as the 7 main bottom end and the massive crank shaft it would have been non destructable.the injector pump should always should always be removed and benched if the engine has set up very long.as mike said you can get a lot of money tied up in parts and labor at a machine shop.but i will have to admit,nothing sounds better than a newly o/h 230....good luck on your endevor,and may it be a challenging and rewarding project,,,

Bull View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 3:40pm
I grew up on a 45D and recall Dad having to replace the head on it twice. That happened in spite of him being very adamant about letting it warm up and cool down. On the other hand it was the work horse on 400 acres for 10 years so I would say it did pretty well.
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:17pm
you are right as rain bull,the head too many areas to crack out,especially around the nozzle ports which was too thin and around the air cell ports.you said you grew up on a 45-d,i cant remember,but do they use the same 2 row and 4 row front cultivator mounts???
DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 10:14pm
Larry

Good to here from you also. I need to send some pictures to you soon of the Old 21. I have been busy too.

Talk to you soon, Darryl
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 11:52pm
Thanks for the input guys. I think we'll fire it up next week, there is a local antique pull to test it at coming up.  As for the engine Dale, it went to scrap iron heaven when prices where high, bummer!  Good to hear from you Darryl, hope to talk to you sometime.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic