This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Cam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Cam?
    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 11:40am
I know a few people have done this build before, 1/8 over M&W AP46’s milled down .250 stuffed into a 226 with WD45 crank. High compression set up. Going to check my valve clearance in the coming days. What’s a good cam degree/spec for this set up?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 2:16pm
To pick a camshaft you need to decide what RPM range you plan on running. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:35pm
Be sure to retard the timing from 30 degrees BTDC at full throttle to probably around 23-25 degrees and use at least 106 octane gas. Dyno tuning is best for the timing setting.  Your cranking compression should be right at 240 psi. I did a couple of these almost 40 years ago and used a stock grind and timed camshaft.
PA185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:23pm
Not 100% what RPM range it will be running, I’d like to say 2200-2500 range. Not sure really until I run it. I want to run it in the 6mph class. Stock 45 gearing on 16.9X34’s
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:36pm
Which will mean second gear ?? at 3500 lbs ?? An engine of that size/caliber wouldn't be able to run 3rd gear on the tracks I play on.
PA185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:55pm
Probably second yes, most of the tracks we have are really good clay ones as well. 3500, 4000, 4250, and 4500 are the classes I am going to play in. I have some other things I’m doing to it as well, just listing the basics for the set up and trying to get an idea for a cam
Robacpuller View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:26am
I make 1.70 roller tip rockers that can give u a little more .
$275 a set.
Rob
PA185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 11:45am
I will have to check valve Clarence. Unsure if I can run them
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 12:07pm
I think you can.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:42am
They will work on stock valves or others. Mine has big block chevy valves.u will have to tell if u r using a short or tall head. I use a short head, if tall I have to clearence #4 and #1 exhaust for the head bolt. Make sure u degree the cam, and the cam person should tell u how many degrees off cam center line. Mine is a 4 master grind 106 -107 off cam center line. I had to advance cam 1 tooth plus we made a halve key.just advancing the cam 1 tooth will help. If u put a dial indicator on a stock set up , u will see that the piston is coming up on compression stoke before the intake valve is closed. U will want it closed at bottom dead center. To use my rockers all u have to do is replace them with old ones, use ur same spring and adjusters. I made them a simple replacement.
Let me know if interested.
Thanks
Rob
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:53am
1 other thing to remember, air flow , air flow , air flow. Manifold , carb , head. Not just high compression. My carb, head and manifold r all tricked out by Marty Nelson and flow over 210 cfm. If u go back on some of his post, he explains how he dose some of the things he does using epoxy to radius in corners of manifold and head and carb. It works.hopefully not making ur head spin to bad. I have pics of manifold that he did.
PA185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:58pm
I ported and polished the head and the manifold, put nice radiuses on everything and increased the size of the ports quite a bit. Have a 170 carb to run on it. Being as the pistons are gonna come up quite a bit I’m not sure the valves would clear with the increased lift ratio of the rockers. I would have to do some math on that
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robacpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:48am
I did the same thing u did on head and manifold, when Marty air flowed it , it was at 148 cfm. When he got done with epoxy and reshaping the manifold corners it flowed 220 cfm. U r going in the right direction little mods make a big difference. I can do ur manifold if u want, I have the epoxy Marty uses. Let me know if I can help.
Rob
PA185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:51am
I might be interested in doing that. Send me a message if you would
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic