This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD trip bucket loader install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD trip bucket loader install
    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:07pm

Mid winter, an ad for a trip bucket loader popped up and caught my eye. Lon over in Minnesota had it. Pretty cheap, but it isn't much, and he clearly stated that in the ad. So, I convinced macvette and TedJ to road trip with me over to Lons house (didn't take much convincing)

Loaded it up and tied it down in about 10 minutes, then spent the next 4 or 5 hours shooting the breeze and seeing Lon's collection, which is pretty amazing. Every once in awhile, a guy just needs to take a day off and devote it to tractoring, you know?

Anyways, it mounted right up. Its a little bent, and a little farmer welded, and a little worn, but it will do.

Had to find a temporary spot for the toolbox

Unhooked the lift arms and hooked the loader up to the hydraulic pump.

Took the snow bucket off, I was going to try lifting a few 8' logs to see how it worked, but I just never had the time. My master plan was to use the log arch to get logs out to a level landing, then load them onto the wagon with the loader. Haul them home, then a guy would really be able to stack them quite high in the yard.

Took it back up to Dads late one night, and then got too busy for the rest of the winter. So, now its time to work on the food plot, and here I sit with a tractor with no working lift arms.

They were scrapping cranes at work this winter, and I snagged a selector valve off of one. Cranes run like 4000psi, so it should handle the pump output on this tractor. If you look up selector valves, they are like 2500 psi. Don't these old Allis's run like 3400 psi? Granted, this old girl probably doesn't pump like new, but they were high pressure, low volume systems.

You put your pressure into the middle, then it goes out one end port or the other, depending on where the lever is.

Got it mounted near the hydraulic pump, where all the hoses already go, more or less.

Made a few new hoses, crimped some JIC fittings onto the other ones to kind of get some consistency.

Made up a linkage and made it operational from the seat, looks to work pretty slick.

Here is a video of it

I get the feeling we will be finding lots of uses for this handy little attachment. It will make a great counterweight for my snap coupler carryall, and now we can haul firewood on both ends! Production at the woodsplitter should skyrocket!

If it works good, then I may have to rework all the pivot points and grind off the gobs of farmer weld to reinforce it properly.

Thanks for looking!
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:43pm
I had one that I used all the time for moving stuff.
I made/repurposed some forks for it and never put the bucket on again. It would lift a lot.
I added a selector valve like yours and it made it so much nicer to run.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 8:48am
YOUR BUCKET STOP should not be a CHAIN. A chain will break when dumping a heavy load. With bad resultes It's supposed to be a long spring. My dad had a set of log forks for his WD I wonder if there still around the place? You just un pined the bucket and pined the forks with the same pins they were a c shape on the back end and latched with the bucket latch. I think they were made at his uncles welding shop. I have to take the snow bucket off mine soon. I bought an extra loader and just swap between material bucket and snow bucket. The other WD 45 has loader mounts on it and I have the complete other loader. I use mine a lot for lifting and moving things. As I've gotten older it's become nessary to start the tractor and move things that I would have just manhandled in the past.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 21 Apr 2019 at 8:51am
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:35am
I did about the same thing with my 45. I had a 3 way valve that came from a hydraulic feed Do-All band saw. Lift arms connected to the rear position, loader to the forward position and the remote is connected to the center position. It's the handiest thing since sliced bread for plowing snow, when you can have a bucket or blade on the front and a blade on back. The Oxnard rear blade also dds ballast for doing loader.
 I never got rountuit, making the remote connection for the 3 way lever, but I can reach down and pull it back, or push it forward with my foot.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:00am
Yeah, that chain is a little harsh. I've seen where they have a long spring on either side, looks like this loader only has provision for one.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:29am
My Freeman loader only had a spring on the left side. It broke and I never replaced it.

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 2:43pm
Everybody now wants all hydraulic loaders but that trip bucket setup will move lots of snow, As D D said needs a spring on bucket.  When setup right it will dump and relatch in two blinks of the eye.    I think that loader was made by  Paulson co..
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 3:20pm
It is a Paulson. So the spring is supposed to latch it? Or do you still have to drop it and back up?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 7:23pm
Mine will latch about half the time. As long as it high enough that it swings past vertical without the bucket hitting the pile it'll swing back and latch.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:44pm
Problem is when you're hauling things that are too light, like tree branches, it won't dump.  I gave up with it trying to latch.
How well does that front step work for getting on and off?  You're even bigger than me and I just can't see how it can work very well.  TOO much stuff to crawl over.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 7:46am
Was nice you made the trip and found a home for the loader. You are the right guy. A little fixing and add some metal in the right place and it becomes a great tool. I am always pleased to show off my collection. Ted would not be happy with me this week, as I have parted two tractors. But it is for the greater good. Hope to see you at the shows, private or otherwise. Making a pile of B engine parts that are headed your way. That will be a nice read for all of us. Stayed tuned to littlemarv treads.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:03pm
So, does anyone know the dimensions of the spring that's supposed to be on there?  Better yet, anybody have one laying about?

When latched, it measures 34" from the bolt on the bucket to the bracket on the arm.

Thanks.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 8:51am
I would make it an inch short of the shut length to begin with. It's not too hard to cut a tension spring with a grinder or cut off wheel, then bend a new hook on the end, by setting the first loop of spring over a sharp corner of a vise or anvil and strike it with a hammer.
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 11:22pm
Would a garage door spring work?

Just pulled a broken one off dad's door and was wondering what to do with it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:31am
Originally posted by wide wide wrote:

Would a garage door spring work?

Just pulled a broken one off dad's door and was wondering what to do with it.

No reason it wouldn't, if it's cut to the right length.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 8:40am
the original is twice as heavy as garage door spring. it has a very slight slack in it when the bucket is locked about a half in. mine has a welded loop on the upper end and a 3/8" hook on the bucket end.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

Was nice you made the trip and found a home for the loader. You are the right guy. A little fixing and add some metal in the right place and it becomes a great tool. I am always pleased to show off my collection. Ted would not be happy with me this week, as I have parted two tractors. But it is for the greater good. Hope to see you at the shows, private or otherwise. Making a pile of B engine parts that are headed your way. That will be a nice read for all of us. Stayed tuned to littlemarv treads.
Lon, you are saving others, so that's not a problem.  It's when guys send it to the scrap pile that I get irate.  They don't make these anymore and so ALL parts are needed.
I would have chewed Kenny Aggen out too, but he is too far away and he advertised all his stuff for sale or for free and he didn't get any takers.  Well, I got a few things from him and wished I'd of gotten more!!  They just don't make these parts anymore.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:00pm
Finally got to use the loader.

Spent fathers day with my father splitting wood, of all things. He had a pretty good mess going. Probably 60 blocks laying that needed to be split. They were laying on a nice bed of about 10" of sawdust, and six smaller logs that were laid out as stringers when they delivered the truckload of logs. I should have taken a "before" picture, but I never thought of it.

Anyways, Pa and I split and piled all the wood, while junior mowed lawn. Then comes the miserable part- picking up the stringers and cleaning up the sawdust and bark that pile up while cutting up the logs. Its some real crap to work with, you can't really shovel it, pick it up with a fork, or rake it.

Picked up all the logs and set them off to the side, we will let the rain wash all the dirt off, then they can be cut up as well.

About two swipes with the loader and I had the whole mess cleaned up and dumped onto the burn pile. I set the bucket on the ground and put it in the "hold" position so it wouldn't dig in. Really worked nice.

As far as I'm concerned, we can keep the loader just for cleaning up after the log pile every other year. But I'm sure we will find lots of other uses for it.  Guess I need to put "repair loader pivots" on my never ending to do list....

Thanks for looking.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic