This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD restoration/refreshening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 8:31pm
Well. After looking at a few parts explosions and watching a couple videos, I definitely need to split this tractor. Unfortunate too, because I think this is the first WD I've seen that wasn't leaking niagra falls out of those gaskets. Oh well, it's all part of the fun!
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Sponsored Links

Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 6:22am
That bolt will be hard to get out. The gear can be removed without a split. I would split it anyway. The hand clutch is worn out. Looks like it has been out before.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 9:52am
AC WD45,
 A old Allis guy that you may remember too (Don Bradley) would have said, "Pull the engine. Its only nuts and bolts!" Glad you found the root cause.
Sounds like the one WD I had that would only turn over 364 degrees by hand and stop. Asked several Allis folks. They had no clue. I finally took the timing cover off and found a broken gear tooth stuck in the cam gear. Simple once you know what the problem is. Dr Allis narrowed it down for you. By the way good pictures and documentation!
 I have done a Clean Refurb and Paint on several basket cases. Your to do list looks about right! When your done you will have a good tractor! The block concerns me a little but may be the least of the issues?
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 12:41pm
Thanks for the encouragement Sugarmaker! My wife's sentiment is not the same

I am going to go ahead and split it, because at the point I'd like to get a good look at everything I possibly can to see just how.far the damage goes. As for the block, I have a good friend of mine who is a bit of metal working enthusiast as much as we are Allis guys, so I am going to take it to him to tidy it up. By the time he's done with it and there is fresh paint, you'll never know it was cracked. I have seen him do some pretty incredible work with heads and engine blocks.

It's funny you mention Don. I was just thinking about him yesterday while I was messing with the WD. I got a lot of good advice from him back when I first joined Allis Forum. Through my hiatus after I sold my tractor I never once forgot about this place, though if I could go back to 2009 and talk to some of those guys again, I would. When I got the call ol Ron was interested in selling it back to me, I popped back on here as soon as I got off the phone. Sure feels good to post here again, and with another project ahead of me to boot!
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 8:06am
Cooling system cracks to the outside of the block can be fixed up. If the crack is in the crankcase, that is a stress crack.  Allis made an improvement on later WD engines to solve that problem. I found that out the hard way. I replaced the block only to find out that block would leak oil to the outside while it was running.
http://lonsallischalmers.com
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 3:28am
Welcome back Luke!  It's a great thing, having you younger guys getting into Allis.  Yes, we've lost a lot of guys since back then.  I too wish I could talk to them again!  Which reminds me,,,,I GOTTA call Shameless tomorrow!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic