This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD foot clutch symptoms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59f100292 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD foot clutch symptoms
    Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 1:58pm
Looked at a WD that’s for sale yesterday, and noticed that when letting the foot clutch out to start the tractor in motion (hand clutch already pulled) there was a grab that came and went while the pedal was half way through its travel. I imagine it is a rough spot on a clutch face that is making contact with every revolution of the crank. It went away once the clutch was fully aft in its travel and full pressure was applied within the clutch. It didn’t seem to be slipping, I used the foot clutch to get started in 3rd gear going up a good slope. It was just the resultant jerking motion to the rear wheels when the clutch pads first started transferring motion that got my attention. The seller said he hadn’t run it in a year and a half, so I don’t know if’s a rough spot on the clutch that will loosen up with use? Possibly temperature related (clutch not warmed up)?

A second symptom I noticed was that at idle sitting in neutral, with the foot clutch resting fully aft, there was a slight knock coming from the clutch/hydraulic pump portion of the case. It went away when I pressed the foot clutch and stopped rotation behind it. Hydraulics seemed to function properly and it had the correct amount of fluid in the system.

Does any one have any insight into these two? Are they related? Anything to be concerned about?
Sponsored Links

Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 2:47pm
Make Sure Hyd Lift Lever Is Down. It sounds Like Is trying To Lift. Pump Only Pumps When Foot Clutch Is Out
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 3:21pm
Grabbing of the foot clutch can occur when a rear seal leaks or the hydraulic reservoir overflows and oil gets on the clutch.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
59f100292 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 59f100292 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

Grabbing of the foot clutch can occur when a rear seal leaks or the hydraulic reservoir overflows and oil gets on the clutch.

Is this detrimental to the life of the clutch? I’d prefer not to have to pull an engine for a rear main seal repair. Is an overflowing reservoir simply a sign it was overfilled and nothing else is wrong mechanically?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 7:24am
Originally posted by 59f100292 59f100292 wrote:

Is this detrimental to the life of the clutch? I’d prefer not to have to pull an engine for a rear main seal repair. Is an overflowing reservoir simply a sign it was overfilled and nothing else is wrong mechanically?

The clutch would probably last a long time. The grabbing might add wear to clutch parts and if it slips much, you can get heat cracks in the flywheel surface. A lot of flywheels have cracks anyway, but extended slipping can drive the cracks all the way thru .
  Yes, the hydraulic overflow is caused by over filling the hydraulics. Like if you filled it to the full line with loader cylinders extended.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic