This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD before

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD before
    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 8:45am

Found a "before" picture of the 1950 WD right after I drove it 3 1/2 miles from my parent's farm to our place. On the way it burned / leaked about 2 quarts of oil and fouled one plug. I stopped to add oil along the way. There are more pictures of the restoration process but a lot of them say they are too large of a file to load and have to be 2.0 mb or less. Don't know how to shrink the file.

Sponsored Links

Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 9:30am
How proud we were to deliver our first WD tractor in 1948.  Seems like yesterday but it is SEVENTY YEARS ago.  Hard to believe they are still running and some working.  Guess Allis Chalmers made them well.
How proud you must be to have YOUR FATHER'S tractor.
Let us know how it goes. 
Good Luck!
Bill Long

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 9:40am
I agree, family machines are the best ones to have. Regardless of color (In my opinion). I wish I could find some of my family's long-lost equipment. Hope to be able to see some "after" photos soon! 
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 10:43am
the before

the after
Just putting the two pics together for you  AC Hunter.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 12:06pm
I like the new "sliders" on the before back wheels. Course I like the whole thing new also.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 2:29pm
     JC, thanks for combining the  tractors, have no idea how you did that trick.
     I'm glad you like the wheel locks, Floyd. I had to change the rear rim before I could drive the tractor home. The rim was so deteriorated from the calcium that the tube was coming through in two large spots. You could put your hand through one of the holes. I had to remove, disassemble and sandblast the clamps before I could use them. They were painted again when the tractor was  restored. 
     It was a fun project.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 4:53pm
Skipped a beat when you said "On the way it burned". I too have my father's WD He bought new in 1950. A WD with a story is special.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:28pm
Russ,
 Sounds and looks about right in the before picture. I had very similar issues with our narrow front WD too.
That manifold with the square plate is what I remember being on ours also.
Thanks for posting the before picture too.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:37pm
Man that tractor is a beauty! Wish I still had the '48 WD of grandpa's but just the two '53s are left. Job well done!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 7:57pm
Russ,
 do you have the intermediate pictures too? Was wondering how far you went?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 9:52pm
JC,  I did not see the post showing the restored WD.  Thank you for putting it on this thread.
GREAT JOB!! I can assure you the new WD I delivered in 1948 did not look as good as the one you have restored - love those blue white decals.  You did your FATHER's WD proud. 
When I go to the fairs and dealer lots I see the new equipment.  You know, the WD was the biggest tractor we had to sell in 1948 - about 30 some horsepower.  Look at what is out there now.
Great Job
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 11:19am
Nice WD. Here's my '48 WC. Last year of WC and first year of WD.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic