This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD Alternator Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD Alternator Conversion
    Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 2:31pm
When I redid my WD back in 2009, I wanted to keep it as original looking as possible (with a Gleaner E engine) so I used the generator from the E and made a new wiring harness.  The system will charge as long as I am running high rpms, but is not consistent or reliable.  I don't want to swap in a delco alternator, just because of the size and shape of them.  Is there an alternator made that is closer to the generator's shape, as in long and skinny instead of shorter and larger in diameter?

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I can't get the search function to cooperate today.

Thanks,

Adam

www.facebook.com/AdamDavisWoodworking
Sponsored Links

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 2:54pm
I think Steve at B&B can provide a generator looking alternator.

Very nice WD!!!

Edited by Alberta Phil - 30 Apr 2017 at 2:54pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 3:33pm
all alternators are about the same dimension front to back as they are diameter.. you can get various alternators that are 5-6-7 inches in diameter.. You can have the generator repaired to it will put out original power... ALL generators put out less at idle than at full rpm.. Alternators are more steady across the RPM range. ... you have a voltage regulator, are you sure it is set properly ?  Is it a 6 volt generator , regulator and battery ?  They all match ?  That is one concern on proper operation.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:18am
They make an alternator in a genny shell.  I'm pretty sure that Steve says he can do it too.  Be prepared though, it is pretty spendy.....
When's the last time you put new brushes in the genny?  Also take a close look at the armature.  If it's got grease or gunk in between it will act like that.  They like to be clean to work properly.

Did it ALWAYS act like this?  Might not be making a good contact at ground.  Also the VR might not be grounded good enough.  But like Steve says, they will act goofy at low RPM's.  How does it work at high rpms?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
NCAllisnut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:51am
Been a while since I messed with it, but as I recall the volts go over 15 when I open the throttle wide open.  Seems like it is either over charging or not charging, never have been able to get it to operate to my satisfaction.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 10:04am
Many an AC tractor was equipped with a three brush generator and a cutout, no voltage regulator. The field current was set by the multiple position light switch. The third brush regulates the generator current and that enables charging 6 or 8 volt and sometimes 12 volt batteries with the same generator. Its likely the three brush generator can be connected to a voltage regulator for better battery life. Without a voltage regulator the generator voltage is strictly proportional to the generator shaft speed. At idle usually not charging, and high engine speed overcharging. A voltage regulator is a step forward in battery care, the solid state regulator with much tighter voltage tolerance is another step forward in battery care typical of an alternator with built in regulator. While they can be made in 6 volt or 12 volt, positive or negative ground any alternator but a 12 volt negative ground is nearly impossible to find. Part of that comes from the early 60s revision of the SAE standard on vehicular electric systems specifying 12 volts negative ground. Earlier versions allowed 6 or 12 volts, positive or negative ground.

Gerald J.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 11:44am
First, make sure the VR is grounded correctly. I see its mounted to the nicely painted Battery box. Paint is a great insulator. Take a wire off the nut inside holding the VR's ground side of the chassis right to the ground post of the Battery. See if that stabilizes the regulation. Sounds like you have an intermittant ground problem going on. It could also be a dozen other things, but you want to do the easy stuff first.

Ted is right, I've built a few Gennies with Alternator components for some of our hotrod customer's to keep the nostalgic look. Not cheap though!  Takes quite a bit of time to custom build one of those units. They look and work pretty cool after all the time spent, but way, way cheaper to install an Alternator in lieu of the Gennie. With the WD, you can use any size/type Alternator because of no restrictions. If you visit our site, you can see what we offer for Alternators. We have the popular 10 & 12 "SI" series, the "CS" 121 & 130 series which we use for the C & CA model Tractors, along with our 3 wire 40 amp  Denso "mini" Alternator.  We also had our Machiniest widdle a 5/8 wide belt pulley for that little puppy also.  If you want to keep the OEM look, then its time to troubleshoot the system to see what you find....  HTH.
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 12:16pm
There's also the GenerNator. Looks like a generator but is an actual alternator. They're not cheap though.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 12:45pm
Worry about the looks of an alternator and ignoring the pink elephant in the room is silly when you have that seat and step assembly on it already but that's none of my business.     Poke....poke.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
NCAllisnut View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCAllisnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:05pm
Yeah, yeah, never said it was original, got a Gleaner E engine in it and all...  just never liked seeing an old tractor with the hood hacked up and a big old delco alternator hanging out the side.  Just my pet peeve, I guess.

Steve, 

I can't find the Denso mini gennie.  Can you post a link?

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:58pm
Its not a Gennie. Its an Alternator. If you go all the way to the right  on our header to "more",  a drop down shows up. Its under "Other Technical Info". Its at the bottom of the page below the other Alternators.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:10pm
here is a photo of the smaller CS Delco alternator on a B
you don't have to hack up the hood and have BIG ... im sure STEVE can fix you up.

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 May 2017 at 9:12pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic