This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 8:14am
I don't think the timing would have anything to do with the loss of coolant Chris.  I'd check around that new gauge to see if it is weeping there?  Something is doing just that, weeping.  You don't lose a lot at any one time and so you don't notice.  When an engine weeps someplace, it is coming out so slow you don't notice it because the engine is hot enough to cause it to evaporate away.  I have this happen on my C and never noticed until I did a REALLY GOOD job on it with the pressure washer and a sharp eye.
Do you have a radiator pressure tester?  That'll tell you real quick.  You can make one pretty easy, just an old cap and solder/weld a pipe out the top, a gauge, a shut off and a nipple for your air line. 
I used to time just about everything by ear, but I don't trust it that well anymore.  I'm getting pretty hard of hearing anymore.  You can have a slight stutter and never hear it.
Hope this helps buddy and we get that warm weather REAL QUICK!!  LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Keep working on it Chris! You're getting closer every time. It's probably hard to get it up to temp in this cold. Unless the thermostat's sticking. You'll see

We're forecasted for some snow tomorrow. I've seen predictions from 1"-12". So who knows??

I goofed. My 45's parked over at the house I'm working on to move into. I pulled a wagon over there in Dec so I couldn't take the blade. Now I don't want to drive it 20 minutes one way in the cold to where the blade is. Not sure if I can pickup the whole blade and put it into the truck either without taking it apart either... This house has about a 100 yard drive. Come next year I'll be having some snow blading pictures of my own!

Dave,
 You be real careful trying to lift that blade, get some help ,even if in pieces.
 Good luck on the house! 
Looking forward to the snow plowing pictures too!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 8:54am
Ted ,
I think your right that I have a leak somewhere, just havent found it yet, but did see coolant on the ground (snow) between the front tires. Good indicator I have a slow leak somewhere!
I didnt think timing would cause the over heat issue? I this case I did adjust the timing but more important checked and filled the rad! 
 I had seen threads where one way out of time will get the manifold red.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Feb 2018 at 8:54am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 2:29pm
Hi Chris! Smile
Just a thought, look to see if it may be at you water pump weep hole. 
I had my 17 doing a barely noticeable trickle that I didn't catch it for awhile until I happened to be looking just right one day and saw it. 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 9:46am
Thanks Jim,
 I will take a light and look a little more. I checked yesterday and the rad was still at the same level as prior (full). So I don't know whats happening. I am sure the leak will raise its ugly head again at the most opportune moment!
Being lazy today and finished a Sudoku puzzle with the help of the computer.  Just started doing those this year and they are addictive! Much to learn about solving them.
Regards,
 Chris
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 12:46pm
I think Sudoku is Japanese for "Arghh!"
I tried solving one once, and didn't think it was very easy. Lol 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

I think Sudoku is Japanese for "Arghh!"
I tried solving one once, and didn't think it was very easy. Lol 

Creston,
 I agree, but I did a couple entry level ones and got through them then I went on line and learned some of the basis tricks to help solve them. That helped a lot. The tougher ones with 4 stars, I need to use the computer to help solve them. 
Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 5:06pm
Chris,
Silly question from a newbie.  When you use the blade on snow, do you have to turn around backwards and drive in reverse the whole time? 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 6:39pm
Steve,
I was to lazy to turn it around. But for snow, it works just about as good in either direction. It has been both ways and have pushed and pulled too. I like to pull the snow a little better than pulling just easier not to turn around too.
We got to get you some snow for several months. Changes everything!
 Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 6:44pm
Chris,
I'd love to see some of the white stuff.  It hit 82 here today.  Pollen is really heavy--car is covered and my sinuses are clogged. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
sauto View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 4:52pm
howdy all.............  I find myself a proud owner of a wd45 ( I believe ) it is a little different than some..  It is propane powered ,is a wide front end and am in the process of setting up a 3 point hitch on it. I've got the "2" bottoms swing arm set up and am trying to get the 3rd arm set up anyone have any suggestions I'd be greatfull ....  TIA      Steve

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by sauto sauto wrote:

howdy all.............  I find myself a proud owner of a wd45 ( I believe ) it is a little different than some..  It is propane powered ,is a wide front end and am in the process of setting up a 3 point hitch on it. I've got the "2" bottoms swing arm set up and am trying to get the 3rd arm set up anyone have any suggestions I'd be greatfull ....  TIA      Steve
Steve, first of all WELCOME....2nd, go the the start of this and start your own thread.  You'll get better help that way.  Not polite to jump in on someone else's thread, especially Chris.
Start your own and you'll get a lot of good answers.
"Allis-Express"
sauto View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 5:50am
sorry Ted.........  I thought this was a open forum ......  I will not bother you folks again . Have a nice day
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:42am
Steve,
Welcome to the Allis forum. Your own post would get you a bunch more traffic than my old blog.  We love new tractor projects. But I sure dont mind you posting here. WD45 fits right in on this post too.  I have taken othere threads off into the weeds, but your tractor fits right in here. I would like to see some pictures of your tractor. Lots of folks on here that can help you and have helped me too. 
Having been new at one time to this site and many others I know its hard to know when to jump in and get your feet wet. I lurked around this forum for several years prior to getting involved. 
I agree that your tractor is unique. Not that many propane versions on here.
Hope we have smoothed some feathers and would like you to be part of this good group.
Again Welcome.
Are you looking for the top link attachment for the 3 point? Several options: There is a clamp on bracket. Also there is a simple U shaped bracket that slips around the rock shaft. Let us know there are sevewral pictures on the forum of different options.
 Regard,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Feb 2018 at 10:45am
sauto View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:17pm
Hi Chris  .......... not sure how to start a new thread !!  LOL  ..........  I have a manual that does not answer the questions I have on this tractor . Not sure on the fluids it takes and where to add them I can only find one dipstick for the transmission ,and am wondering about how to check and fill the final drives............ I think I figured out the "3rd" link hook up . Old dogs are hard to teach new tricks.... I'll figure it out and learn as I go!!  Thanks .... Steve
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 1:30pm
To start a thread of your own, go to the farm equipment index (See the D17 at the top of this page? Look straight under the grille. See "Farm Equipment"? Click that) Second, on the index page there is a button titled "New Topic" straight under the Allis-Chalmers diamond logo at the top left corner of the page. After clicking that, you can title the thread, and type your questions there. Then you'll have your own thread. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by sauto sauto wrote:

Hi Chris  .......... not sure how to start a new thread !!  LOL  ..........  I have a manual that does not answer the questions I have on this tractor . Not sure on the fluids it takes and where to add them I can only find one dipstick for the transmission ,and am wondering about how to check and fill the final drives............ I think I figured out the "3rd" link hook up . Old dogs are hard to teach new tricks.... I'll figure it out and learn as I go!!  Thanks .... Steve

Steve,
 Good we didnt loose you! Crestron has helped guide you to the start of a new thread. ( I will look for it too).
My guess is that the dip stick you have found is actually for the hydraulics. These tractors have several chambers Hydraulic, transmission and rear end, and several types of fluids, and several drain ports under the tractor too. I have had them all open and drained, filled all and used to remember all that stuff but the old brain is so cluttered I dont try to remember it all.  I usually Call Don(MO) to remind me!:)
With that said, a good manual may help,  Although I havent looked at one lately, and I know the guys on here will help too. 
The final drives have a small pipe plug on the inside of the low pan. Remove that plug and probe to see the fluid level. I think it takes 1.5 qt of 90 wt gear lube in each side. 
You will have to drop the pans to change it probably. Usually messy and yucky, as it is the last place folks look to do maintenance on these tractors.

My post jan 15 2018 with pictures of the back of the tractor show the top link bracket around the rock shaft. And below that how I stabilized it from moving side to side.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Feb 2018 at 4:06pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 9:33am
Steve,
 Didnt see your new thread started. Let us know how we can help.
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 7:40pm
Folks,
Well we had a snow storm last night that dumped 10 inches of very wet snow on our area. I called the daughter and she said she did not attempt to drive through the 2 feet of plowed snow at the end of her drive. I got there around noon and fired up the WD45. Started on first pull, and all systems worked as they should. Temp never came up to 120 deg F on gauge. Hydraulics functioned very well and the tractor ran good. When I shifted into third once I thought it had come out of gear in the shifting forks. But no it was just loose. I gently shifted back into second and finished using just reverse and 2nd gear. Was able to shift back and forth with just the hand clutch. Was going to take a picture but it would have looked like all the others above!:)
Hope things are good in Orange land!
Have been busy making maple syrup. At 73 gallons, and the weather looks real good for a couple more weeks.
Regards,
 Chris

Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 8:23pm
From the looks of the forecast, last night was just a warmup of what's coming into your area these next few days! Smile

Edited by Jim Hancock - 02 Mar 2018 at 11:04pm
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 10:14pm
Chris, how many gallons of sap does it take to make one gallon of syrup?
"Allis-Express"
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:53am
It's pretty gratifying when these old tractors finally do their job like they're supposed to isn't it?

Good luck on all that syrup. You got your work cutout for you keeping that fire going!

Edited by Allis dave - 04 Mar 2018 at 7:54am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:40pm
Jim, Ted, Dave Folks,
Well the weather has been colder and not much sap. Gathered 140 gallons of 2% sap and made 3 gallons of suryp last night.
 So between 40 and 50 gallons of sap to make a gallon. Really depends on the sugar content.
 We can boil at a rate of about 120 to 130 gallons of sap per hour. Or about 3 gallons of finished syrup per hour. I will have to post a couple pictures.
Regards,
 Chris
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 4:19pm
How cold does it get for the sap to stop running? We had ice on the mud the last couple mornings.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 11:09am
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

How cold does it get for the sap to stop running? We had ice on the mud the last couple mornings.

Hi,
 Usually a freeze will stop the flow. Sometimes it will flow at 30 F if the sun is on the trees and no wind.

This picture is legal here because of the AC milk can in the lower right corner!:)

Making granulated maple sugar in the Hobart:

Wood fire at the end of a boil:

Gathering sap with the granddaughters:

Off to make some maple mustard. I miss my AC tractors being here!:(

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 Mar 2018 at 11:10am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 3:47pm
OK Chris, now I have another question!!  You getting sick of questions yet? 
OK, another question,,,,,,,,,,,,
HOW do you make Maple granulated sugar?  Never heard of it.  It sounds like it would be GREAT for making a rub for smoked meat.....
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

OK Chris, now I have another question!!  You getting sick of questions yet? 
OK, another question,,,,,,,,,,,,
HOW do you make Maple granulated sugar?  Never heard of it.  It sounds like it would be GREAT for making a rub for smoked meat.....

Ted,
 No problem on the questions! 
Granulated maple sugar looks similar to brown sugar. Made by heating the syrup to 260 deg F and then stirring it. The Hobart takes the work out of that. I made 2.5 gallons of syrup into sugar. That made 55 jars 4.5 oz each. 

Made a small batch of maple cream and two batches of Maple Mustard today.

Sorry that first picture of the evaporator does not have the Allis milk can in it, that's the large Massey can. 

Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:40pm
Maple cream?  I had to look that one up.  It looks very tasty, but VERY HARD to make.  That constant stirring looks hard.  How long you been do this Chris?
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 6:56am
I got some of Chris's maple goodie's once. It's good stuff.

It looks like you've got some good help there.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:39pm
Dave,
 Thanks!
Steve,
I have been helping or making syrup for about 50 years. Still learning every new season.
Maple cream process is a little easier now using a gear pump machine. 
We may get a sap run tomorrow. 
Will have 200 + folks visiting on the 17 and 18th.
Should have a tractor show for them too!:)
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 45>
  Share Topic