This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 9:03pm

Folks ,
This is what the Allis front rims looked like prior to blasting. Probably the original rims for this WD45.  Almost matching rusted out valve stem holes. They are pretty rough but with some attention should be able to be put back in service.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:49pm
Hi Chris! Like the others, way to go on scoring this WD45! Big smile

An idea if you haven't thought about it yet, when you get ready to add the delete in the belt pulley hole, drive the tractor up on a cinder block or a stack of wood blocks, RR tie, etc, in order to tilt the tractor to the left so that when you pull the pulley out, you won't lose very much oil out the hole like you would if you were sitting level.
I say this as I watched my dad do it one time when I was a kid and that was why. He slid out the pulley and popped in the delete in one movement. Out with the left and in with the right. My dad was also very strong, too, to do that one handed. HTH.
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Jim Hancock Jim Hancock wrote:

Hi Chris! Like the others, way to go on scoring this WD45! Big smile

An idea if you haven't thought about it yet, when you get ready to add the delete in the belt pulley hole, drive the tractor up on a cinder block or a stack of wood blocks, RR tie, etc, in order to tilt the tractor to the left so that when you pull the pulley out, you won't lose very much oil out the hole like you would if you were sitting level.
I say this as I watched my dad do it one time when I was a kid and that was why. He slid out the pulley and popped in the delete in one movement. Out with the left and in with the right. My dad was also very strong, too, to do that one handed. HTH.

Jim,
Great idea. Sounds like your dad was a strong guy that pulley is not light. I may try that with the block.
regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:13am
Hi.   Please do not use cinder blocks, concrete blocks, or anything similar. Your life or limbs are not worth it. They were never designed for that use and are an accident waiting to happen. Get rid of them. I did not intend to hijack this thread; but, your health is important to us. Sorry. Perhaps a separate thread is a good idea for field/shop safety review.      Ross.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:45am
This will be a fun thread to watch. Or maybe start a new one dedicated to this tractor.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:33am
I dont know who said it, and it doesnt matter. But there is no such thing as Allis factory 3pt conversion kit for a 45. Someone correct me if I am wrong. No such thing....
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 5:36pm
Chris,
You always say that I jump on my projects.  Dang friend!  Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?  Nice job!  I have some front rims that look like that too. 
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 7:58pm
Folks,
Have the worst front rim patched. its far from perfect but the whole rim is not really very good lots of rust pits in the inside. i think it will be fine with a tube in the tire. Was trying to get these done to get the tires mounted Friday afternoon when I go to get my truck tires changed. Not sure I am going to make it.Just running out of energy! whipped!
This was a challenge in metal work as the 4 inch long rim patch had to bend some  in both directions. i got it close with a ball peen hammer.:)  Mig welded the patch in place.
Will try to get a picture up.
Steve,
 I sure don't feel like I have accomplished much! Would like to get these tires on and the air cleaner removed and taken apart and clean the mesh out. Goal is to have this tractor ready to plow snow at daughters house within next month.
interesting that the left side of the quadrant (lift side is completely worn smooth. Never seen on ore that bad. Wonder what this tractor did in its prior life to get that wore smooth?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by JayIN JayIN wrote:

I dont know who said it, and it doesnt matter. But there is no such thing as Allis factory 3pt conversion kit for a 45. Someone correct me if I am wrong. No such thing....

Jay,
 I think you maybe correct. I believe these are all aftermarket 3 points. Maybe came out in the late 60"s????
It looks good and stout. Could use some sway bars or chains.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

This will be a fun thread to watch. Or maybe start a new one dedicated to this tractor.

Mike/ Folks,
Open for suggestion on that. I can go either way. Not sure how long its going to be, since I don't think I am doing any type of restoration. Just get it working well for the winter. Tune up, fluids check, brake review, air cleaner clean up, pulley delete, wheel repair ......:)
Regards,
 Chris

Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm
Allis Chalmers did sell a 3pt adapter.  It looked like this. (Not my photo).

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Claus Claus wrote:

Allis Chalmers did sell a 3pt adapter.  It looked like this. (Not my photo).

Claus,
As usual I stand corrected! Thanks for the nice picture of this Allis 3 pt offering to mate with the snap coupler system! That is not the version that I have, so mine is probably not AC unless they had more that one? Any idea how rare those AC 3 pt's are? How much were they new and what are they worth today?
Regards,
Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 12:00am
Folks,
Worst Allis front rim with patch in place. Have to drill the hole for the valve stem. I think I am going to drill it in the patch since its probably the best material on the outer rim. I used .060 thick sheet for the repair. (Big thanks to Andy at Edinboro industries for the piece of steel!)

Repair is at the 6:00 position (bottom) in this shot.

Picture of the rusted section of the rim cut out. Repair is directly behind it. (smooth portion of rim!:)

Repair came out OK. My metal skills leave something to be desired. A vice and a large hammer are pretty crude to form this type of heavy metal.
If i get ambitious I may get the other one repaired today. (I need to buck up a little anyway!) Then to the paint booth, for some silver on the rim and cream in the centers. I know a WD45 had P.O. colored wheels! Always someone that doesn't follow the rules!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Nov 2017 at 12:08am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Ross D. Ross D. wrote:

Hi.   Please do not use cinder blocks, concrete blocks, or anything similar. Your life or limbs are not worth it. They were never designed for that use and are an accident waiting to happen. Get rid of them. I did not intend to hijack this thread; but, your health is important to us. Sorry. Perhaps a separate thread is a good idea for field/shop safety review.      Ross.

Ross,
 Got it! Safety is number two around here! If it was number one I wouldn't be able to zip my pants in the morning! No cinder blocks!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 3:54am
Folks,
 OK back to some serious WD questions! What is this white electrical item vertical by the distributor? My first guess was a ballast resistor? If so why? It has been converted to 12 volt alt. has a 12 volt coil. In my brain it should not need this? Headlights are not to be found? Any way this is on the list to go unless someone has a real good reason. Maybe was for 6 volt lights??? Maybe this old coil did not have a internal resistor or something.

Here is where I welded a washer to the steel plug at the thermometer port. then a hex nut. the heat loosened the joint and I turned this out with out damaging the fitting for the thermometer.

Lift arm is bent I have never seen this before! i have a good set of lift arms from the parts WD that I may swap over to here. will function as is but I just hate seeing stuff like that! Also have good straight step pan from the parts tractor. Good thing I didnt scrap that old WD frame and rear end yet!
Both fenders have been crunched too. So if I feel foxy someday that's a project to get those looking good again. I think they can be saved. will just take some time in the body shop.

This grill may be able to be saved. The one I thought was close by fell through.
I have seen and worked on worse. The scree can be changed on both sides and the bottom needs much attention. Of course the side with the alternator has been cut. Why do folks do that? I converted three WDs to alternators and never cut one of them. So that swooping flange would need to be added back on the left side. both lower grill corners have holes and tears. Of course some dents and surface pits. This came from another tractor. The deep gouge on the right side of the hood indicates that what every did that took out the entire grill too.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Nov 2017 at 4:21am
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 4:28am
That is a ballast resistor, Chris. It's used when you have a 6 volt coil and a 12 volt system. No doubt the lights were removed since the lamps would have blown almost immediately. Theoretically you can put a ballast resistor on the lights, but you'd want to put one resistor on each light. Otherwise if one bulb burned out the other bulb would suddenly have extra voltage applied to it. Those resistors would have to be of substantial wattage also. It's best just to replace the bulbs with 12 volt ones.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:06am
Doug,
 I thought it might be a ballast resistor. But it has a 12 volt coil not 6? And the resistor seems to be hooked up? Where is Gearld J or Steve (B&B) when we need them? They love this stuff too! Anyway this will have to be looked at. Right now the tractor starts and runs fine. Has a amp meter which vibrates a little on start up. I haven't put a meter to anything on the tractor yet. Some days I wished I would have studied electrical instead of drafting!:)
So this is on the list but down there a ways and doesn't seem to be affecting the tractor running. Battery must be charging some, because I have not had to charge it yet.
Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 7:46am
I have seen a couple of lift arms bent too. Always think, how in the h... did they do that!
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 11:58am
Probably a 12 volt coil, but have the correct internal resistance. Remember the 1970's Mopar engines. They all required an external ballast resistor.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 12:49pm
I'd just buy a new 12v coil with internal resister to help clean it all up a little.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 1:17pm
I want to see this go the same direction as the TD-6.
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Doug,
 I thought it might be a ballast resistor. But it has a 12 volt coil not 6? And the resistor seems to be hooked up? Where is Gearld J or Steve (B&B) when we need them? They love this stuff too! Anyway this will have to be looked at. Right now the tractor starts and runs fine. Has a amp meter which vibrates a little on start up. I haven't put a meter to anything on the tractor yet. Some days I wished I would have studied electrical instead of drafting!:)
So this is on the list but down there a ways and doesn't seem to be affecting the tractor running. Battery must be charging some, because I have not had to charge it yet.
Regards,
 Chris
Chris,

I don't know what voltage that coil is. You can put an ohmmeter across the two terminals. If is measures under 2 ohms, you have a six volt coil. If it measures over 3 ohms you have a 12 volt coil.  It's not a big deal. I'd bet that is a 6 volt coil. The previous owner wouldn't have bothered with the ballast resistor if it were a 12 volt coil. If it works, leave it as is.  BTW, you can tell if the alternator is charging by measuring the battery voltage while the engine is running a bit above idle. It should measure around 14 volts.

Edit: I think it says 12 volts, but under the 12v and I may be imagining, but I believe it also says "use with resistor."  That makes it a 6 volt coil, regardless of how it is labeled.

Edited by DougS - 03 Nov 2017 at 3:07pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 4:01pm
Doug,
 Your probably right on the coil. I may buy a new coil as mentioned to clean that up.

exSW,
Glad to find you here too. That is the iIH machine that did my back in! Allis machines seem to have a healing effect!

This 45 is just going to be a clean up and fix apparent things type project. Which should take me right up to snow season. I did get the other front wheel repaired, and took the rims and tires to get mounted with new tubes. have to finish painting the centers and then clean up the hubs.
Brenda from Sandy Lake called and has all the parts except is looking for a used pulley delete cup. That will allow me to boost the economy and provide fodder for this 45 thread!:)
Hope things are good in Orange land!

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Nov 2017 at 4:10pm
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 4:19pm
Alright, enough teasing, let's see the TD-6!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 10:23pm
Claus, Folks
TD6 as found on the farm: Had a lot of issues:
Starts on gas then switch to diesel.

TD6 this fall:
Improving the drive ways.

another shot, working on lights. This was a partial clean and paint with 80% staying with original patina:

another from back, again only portions cleaned, repaired, painted. Electrical up graded.

This has been a very interesting project. Everything is bigger and heavier! it weighs close to 12000 lb.

Here is one with the big rock guard off. grill was in bad shape. a little buffing on that too!:)

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:53am
Very Beastly!  Love the Red paint!  

I recently bought a Deere 450C, something in the transmission broke after owning for a month.  Now it's in my Uncle's shed, winter project.  I understand what you are saying about bigger and heavier.  My machine weighs 14,000 pounds before the 4 in 1 bucket.  My tracks and under carriage are in good shape, I had loosed the tracks a little too much in this photo but corrected that before the transmission broke.

Edited by Claus - 04 Nov 2017 at 1:03am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 1:33am
Claus,
What keeps you up at this hour?  That machine of yours is similar animal to mine. But your 4 way bucket makes it very useful. Hope you can get in and out of the transmission project with minimal cost and effort. These tend to be money and time time sponges! I got my 2 hours of sleep now about 2 hours up walking/ standing. Then we try it again.

Back to Orange.
 I did get the centers of the wheels painted cream. Actually Rustolem Antique White. I like that color, Looks like real "top milk" for you old dairy farmers out there!:) It may not be close to what Allis used on the D series tractors? But the wheels will look OK. So I need to clean and paint the hubs P.O. and the lug bolt to get the total effect. One hole is stripped out on one hub and there was a bolt in there. I may reuse that same bolt till I get a new hub ready. Have a spare hub, that I found in the vast warehouse, but need to look at it for wear in the bearing race seats. Yea I have a pictures but haven't got them loaded to computer from camera yet! Slackin!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2017 at 1:38am
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 2:02am
Why am I up?, shift work!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 2:10am
Ok very exciting wheel pictures!

Patch at rusty valve stem area, on rim #2.

A little silver and cream on the repaired rims, with old tires mounted over new tubes.
I think we are almost back in business. Not perfect by any means, but should make the old girl feel a little better with some lipstick on. :)

FYI total cost on these old rims/tires so far is about $30 each. Tubes were 12.50 each and the blasting was $10 each. Labor to mount them, and some paint I had in stock.  The one tire is not real good, age cracked, but will have to due for a while.

I would like to tackle that grill shell but don't think i will get to that this fall. Weather is getting colder. We will have a good frost tonight the temp is 35 up close to the house. Off to get some rest, you guys are working me pretty hard!:)

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2017 at 2:23am
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 4:40am
Very nice work Chris.  I'm headed south 3 hours to grab another B.  Why?  I'm trying to catch Ted. 
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 45>
  Share Topic