This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 7:55am
Those will look nice on there!
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 8:07am
Dave,
 No real plans for the weights at this time. Since we are doing some local antique tractor pulls they may work for that. I need to find another set to jump 500 lb.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 10:04am
Is that the set that someone listed on here a few days ago? They looked the same and I think were in PA.

It took me a couple years to put together my 3 sets.
I goofed up in college when I went to a sale and bought my first set. They had about 4 sets. I only bought 1 set for $125. I should've bought all of them but didn't have much extra money for that sort of stuff. Bought a 3 bottom plow at the same sale for $100
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 8:09pm
Dave,
 Yes those are the ones that were in central PA a couple days ago. Nice road trip in the truck. :)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 8:25pm
Folks,
 Still out here.
Allis wind chimes in process!

Regards,
 Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Folks, I did have a question on this tractor. The right rear drive housing and bull gear casting are date coded 1949. It seems odd that these would be put on a original much later built WD45 tractor I am thinking it may be from a WD??  Any issues if it is?? The other side has totally different coding.
Regards,
 Chris
I know I can't help on this one Chris, sorry....Cry  Maybe Don Bradley?
If nothing else, it'll get bumped to the top.

Love the wind chimes!! LOL  It'll take a LOT of wind to move some of them. Clap
You're a better body man than I am....Ouch
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:06am
Ted,Folks,
 Thanks! I thought I had read somewhere that they were different? Maybe just dreamed it?
How many parts are there on a WD series tractor? answer: All of them! 
I have termed this process on tractors I do, as a RCP "Refurbish Clean Paint". 
My body work is about a 30 footer. Generally better than it was but not as good as it could be!:)
Regards,
 Chris
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 7:37am
The WD rear axle will fit on a WD45  but the WD axle three bolt fender mount will set 1/2" over from the seat. Be carful if you set the right side wheel in all the way with 14.9 x 28" tires. 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

The WD rear axle will fit on a WD45  but the WD axle three bolt fender mount will set 1/2" over from the seat. Be carful if you set the right side wheel in all the way with 14.9 x 28" tires. 

Don,
 Thanks! I will measure that part of the casting, and compare to the other side.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 9:33pm
Folks,
Well have been busy like everyone. I did take a minute and check the casting dimensions on the two final drives. Yes WD45 on the left side and WD final on the right side. Don was correct. WD casting to fender brace is almost 3/4 inch wider. 
Still cleaning parts for the 45 refurbish.
(OFF color: just put rebuilt starter and new cables on the TD6. Man does it start good now!)
Here are a couple shots of those wheel weights I got a few weeks ago. Taking the D17 to the pulls tomorrow at the Crawford County Fair Meadville PA. 5500 lb class. Added 200+ lb of small weights on the drawbar area too:

These are not the easiest things to mount on the tractor!

Regards,
 Chris

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 7:01am
I use my little 2,00# Clark "Car-loader" fork-lift to install the weights, just turn the wheel so the holes line up with the weights sitting on the forks using the two slots in the weights drive the lift truck up to the tractor and slide it forward.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 7:35am

I use my little 2,00# Clark "Car-loader" fork-lift to install the weights, just turn the wheel so the holes line up with the weights sitting on the forks using the two slots in the weights drive the lift truck up to the tractor and slide it forward.

Don,
Great suggestion. If I am going to do this often I am going to come up with some type of lifting device. I just cant afford to hurt my back again!
Regards,
Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2018 at 7:37am

Don,
 Great suggestion! I like that idea and may use part of that if I come up with a lifting system. I dont have the fork lift. I used the engine lift to hold the weight in position.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:04pm
Folks,
 I am debating what I should end up with for a tractor on the WD45 project? 
 I guess the question is:
 Should I make a working tractor out of it again with all things in place as from the factory? 
Or should I strip off components and get it light weight to use as a play pulling tractor in the antique classes around the area?

I feel I could go either way with this as I have other tractors that could plow snow or brush hog.
I also have at least one tractor that I do pull some (D17) even though its not very competitive.

Not building a pulling engine on this WD45 either. its just a standard off the shelf kit that will be dropped into a clean 45 block. Wasn't planning anything fancy or spending a bunch more money on way more power. Since these don't usually run out of grunt, and its normally a traction issue. 

So I could leave off the hydraulics, the pulley, the PTO, portion of the snap coupler, maybe that's about it? It would be in the 3500 lb class as the low weight class.

The other option is to put all systems back on and still pull it in maybe the 4000 lb class? Its mostly for fun anyway.
But it could be used for other things then also?

Probably better if its one or the other? 

On one hand it would be nice to be more competitive at the pulls. But not sure the basic stock WD45 tractor is the right one? 

I am close to pulling the frame rails off for cleaning and repairs.

So I am open to suggestions/  recommendations or just plain rambling, like I do most of the time!

Thanks for checking in on me! 

Regrads,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Aug 2018 at 2:52am
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 8:16pm
Hi Chris

How did the D17 do at the pull?

Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 9:45pm
You need to ask yourself if pulling is something you enjoy, and something you want to keep doing for a while. It sounds to me like it is, especially since your grandson is into it too. That being the case, you should turn the WD45 into a puller. I say that with some remorse, because I like farm tractors better than pullers. But if you want be competitive, you will have to do like everyone else. As you said, you have enough tractors to take care of your place. That's my two cents anyway, but make sure you want to keep doing it first. I know if I keep going to shows, I'm going to have to invest in a bigger trailer and stronger truck. My mother also wants a golf cart, because she has trouble walking around the shows. I'm not ready to invest in those things yet. I might get tired of doing it, this isn't my first hobby I've ever started. Well, now I'm rambling- good luck Ranse.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Reindeer Reindeer wrote:

Hi Chris

How did the D17 do at the pull?
Reindeer,
I am generally in the middle of the pack at the antique pulls. Not this one, lots of higher end tractors and not many restrictions. So I ended up near the bottom of the list. Last in 5500 antique and 8 out of 10 in the Farm stock. Not to good of a showing for the orange team, but I was there, and lots of folks just talk about being there! Good news is I don't have to dust any plastic!:)
Had fun, D17 did all I could expect. We were allowed to use the power director at this pull. So I started in 2 low, shifted to 2 high and then back to 2 low when it started to loose some power in last 20 feet. Spun out each time. Track was quite loose. The old Armstrong 16.9-28's did not have the bite I guess. 
My tractors are bone stock other than hitch mods and weights.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

You need to ask yourself if pulling is something you enjoy, and something you want to keep doing for a while. It sounds to me like it is, especially since your grandson is into it too. That being the case, you should turn the WD45 into a puller. I say that with some remorse, because I like farm tractors better than pullers. But if you want be competitive, you will have to do like everyone else. As you said, you have enough tractors to take care of your place. That's my two cents anyway, but make sure you want to keep doing it first. I know if I keep going to shows, I'm going to have to invest in a bigger trailer and stronger truck. My mother also wants a golf cart, because she has trouble walking around the shows. I'm not ready to invest in those things yet. I might get tired of doing it, this isn't my first hobby I've ever started. Well, now I'm rambling- good luck Ranse.

Ranse,
Rambling is OK too. Because there may be something in there that I take away that is important. Thanks for the comments!
I ask myself about this pulling thing often. I do like it, its a new hobby for me, less than 5 years. We have purchased all my 'big' tractors within that time, three of them refurbs, clean and paint. Purchased used small trailer to haul them and have refurbed that too. Traded trucks this time last fall to get something that will haul 6,000 lbs or more, and it does that nicely. Even with that said I have been thinking about truck hitch and trailer upgrades to haul a second tractor and or more weight. (I have a 12,000 lb tracked loader that I cant move at this time, another toy since retirement, also could consider a larger 5th wheel camper too!:)) 

You have me thinking!

I also like the original tractors with all the original equipment in place. That is what my goal has been on the refurb projects. Guess I have never been a custom kind of guy. it was always a challenge for me to get them back to a near original stage. With all systems functioning. (closest I came to custom, is the 147 Cub cadet with big tires, red paintjob and straight pipe, not very radical)

Speaking of radical, It doesnt really do much for me to see all the weight bars, and suit case weights hanging on these antique tractors. I know that they help, and work to balance the tractors but Dad never did that. 

Back of my mind says the antique pull should be guys driving in from 10 miles away with a tractor they just did farming with, hooking to a sled and seeing what the old girl will do, compared to your neighbor in the next farm over. Its a long way from that at most pulls.
(not many farms left and humans are competitive if the rules allow it.)

Re-reading your post sounds very similar to my thoughts. I have done some of the upgrades as you want to do. truck, trailer. I was looking for the golf cart the other day too!:) Yes its not my first hobby that has come and gone over the last 60 years. I have reinvented myself several times!

Just dont know if I want a 'one use' tractor setting around here?? 
You mentioned shows, I also go to several shows each year too. Sometimes pulling tractors are not show tractors. I don't want or need a 100 point glossy show tractor either. Just not the way my brain works. 

Hope my rambling put you right to sleep! Do I have the answer yet, NO! But I do have WD45 and that was on my bucket list of tractors!

Regards,
Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 3:23am
Folks,
 Sometimes the middle of the night is the best time to generate ideas.(not all ideas are good)  Also a good time to be sleeping rather than on the Allis forum!:)
I have noodled out a concept for handling the 125 lb std Allis wheel weights: If I rig a small custom jib crane off the right corner of the goose neck trailer with a small HF 12 volt electric winch, wired in to my big trailer battery. It would need to have upper and lower swing points to be strong enough to support the 125 lb  at 4 feet + away from the trailer. I could stage/ store the weights on the trailer near the winch box, and then pick and swing out to a waiting tractor, lower and attach weights to wheel. Move tractor to complete other side. Just a concept, but might work? (and another build project)!

Ok more details: This could be mounted to swing/store under the upper tool box, mounted to the vertical side trailer support, to swing to the truck bed and also out the right side of the trailer to pick and place things on the trailer, like weights, or newly acquired junk from a auction, or to remove the hitch from the bed of the truck.  Should be able to support 500 lb min.
Humm Swing might not work when tractor is loaded on trailer? As a concept every trailer should have one of these! Now don't go stealing my idea even if its not a good one.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 8:36am
Ok,
 I am highjacking my own thread!:)
A friend sent me a picture of the D17 at the Crawford County fair pulls last Sat.:

Regards,
 Chris
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 9:17am
I quit changing/adding wheel weights a long time ago,,, the weight class its in,, well that's where it stays,, I didn't like handling them 125# weights..
if you gonna build a dedicated puller with '45, I'd build brackets and use suitcase weights..for balancing etc,, and their onl100# or maybe less, depending what brand you have or can aquire...
next thing you'll hafta work on is getting the '45 stuck to the track ,, start lookin at different size tires...
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:12am
Yep, tires and weight.  That's what it's all about.  But I'm with you on this, just a plain ole working tractor right off the farm.  Some of the (so called) pullers don't hardly resemble a tractor any more...  Just my $0.02 worth.
"Allis-Express"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 10:13am
Oh yeah, I forgot the most important part!!!!!

If MY grandson wanted to get into it,,,,,,,I'd go whole hog!!!    MEMORIES!!
"Allis-Express"
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 1:16pm
So Chris how's the engine coming along?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 2:52pm
Thanks Guys!
I put a call the machine shop for a update. He hasnt done much to it yet. Maybe I need to bug him a little more often too?
I did get some prices on engine kits, so just need to have the funds to pull the trigger on that portion of the WD45 refurbish project.
back to the puller debate: Michael and Ted
 Tires: I plan to try the new set of Crop Max 14.9-28's on this tractor when it is complete. That's about as big as I can put on that tractor. We haven't pulled them much yet on Nic's WD. Hoping they do as well as a pair of Firestones? 
 Weights: I tend to agree with you that moving weights around at my age and with my back may not happen unless it can happen quickly and easily! Several of the local antique pulls are getting to the point where you cant have any suit case weights, just factory weights in factory positions. 
My goal would be to have two sets of wheel weights to allow me to move 500 lbs.

Question: Can a WD45 get to 3000 lbs? I know this isn't a pulling thread, more of a rambling blog of mine. Hope I don't step on any ones toes!?:)

Off to try to do something productive!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 4:24pm
Folks,
I have taken a look at the rock shaft on the WD parts tractor. It has a broken ear on the bottom of the left attachment bracket. So my choices are:
1.Try to take two of these apart to get best parts. These don't look easy to remove from the splines. I dont think I have seem many folks take these apart?
2. Straighten the bent arm, maybe heat and a press work??
3. find a third good used one?
Humm! Just one more thing!
Thanks for checking on me.
Regards,
 Chris
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 5:04pm
The good news, the left and right lift arms are the same but the bad news is most of the time it takes heat and a press to get one of them off. I hope you get lucky and they come off without heat and a press.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 9:44pm
Don, Folks,
 I had the same thoughts on the lift arms! They look tougher to get off than a steering wheel! 
I talked to two friends tonight. One wants me to go look at a late 50's Gleaner, if its still for sale. And the other has a new/old WD that came from a local dealer. May do some looking/shopping. Shopping always makes me feel better! But usually results in more work or additional projects!:)
I did get the screen and cover off the oil pump on the 45 engine and cleaned it up and secured the screen again. Was rainy here today so not much action.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 7:47am
Folks,
 Off to look at a old Gleaner tomorrow. Any things I should look for, engine wise that is?
My friend Ted (combining clover in another thread) is interested in the combine portion, I might be interested in the engine, radiator? If we were to make a deal on it. It would need to be moved maybe 75-100 miles to his place. That could be fun. My trailer may be too small and his trailer may not be ready. But I think I could find another trailer to borrow.
How hard is it to get one of these engines out of a combine?? Will a std cherry picker reach it?
I have heard that there are several modifications needed on the gleaner type engines to allow them to work in a tractor application:
1. crankshaft shorten and new tapered hole for the lock bolt of the pulley.
2. water pump from a WD45.
Other mods?

Will try to see if it turns over (unstuck)
Will check oil, water.
May get some pictures too.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 10:55am
Taking a break. Summer cold has me light headed.
Here is a shot of the straighten of the left WD45 lift arm. I think its going to be pretty close. I have it pushed beyond during cool down mode. Put this assembly back on the tractor, but I guess I could have tried it off also in hind site. Porta-Power and some heat applied at strategic location. Didn't really take much push.

Its all about the fixture and the tooling! (That's a flash back from 40 years in the design and tooling shop.)
Off to feed the grandkids dog, do some brush hogging, look at a WD, and then home to mow the lawn, that should round out the day!
Thanks for checking on me.
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 45>
  Share Topic