This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 LP Unconversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD 45 LP Unconversion
    Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 8:53pm
As stated in the winter project thread I'm working on converting a WD 45 back to gasoline.
This thing leaks oil bad! Also has an issue with the throttle. Here is the tractor in question.

Last spring when I put the new engine in my other 45 I took the one in it to town for a rear-main seal, pan gasket, timing cover job. That part is done, (thanks Don, the demo/video helped immeasurably). The hand clutch is pretty weak in this tractor and this is the time to fix that. The torque tube from a parts tractor, good place to start.

Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:00pm
I want a good hand clutch to replace the weak one in there currently, have lots of parts around so lets build one. This is where you start. This one came out of a parts tractor that got water in it.

When you take one of these things apart first thing you have to do is remove the shims.

Then put three bolts back in and clamp together and you can remove the snap ring.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:03pm
If you're going to do one of these you need one of these, (I should have posted this first).

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:09pm
Now you can tear this thing apart.

This particular clutch is in pretty rough shape, it's not the one going in the tractor. I got over halfway through building one before I remembered to take the pictures. Thought I would show the dis-assembly process.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:16pm
These three little springs keep the discs separated when the clutch is disengaged. They are still available from agco.

Here I'm checking the thickness of the discs. With five clutches to work with you might as well  cherry-pick parts.
All cleaned up and starting to go back together.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:24pm
My red-neck spring tester.

OK here is where it gets a little confusing. The book says to build three stacks of shims .140" thick, space evenly in place of the pressure washer. Then press together by hand and measure  the gap, subtract .005" and use a shim-pack this thickness.

I use an old sleeve to press things together and measure.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:27pm
The finished product. The one I set up for the other 45 works like a champ. Hope this one is as good.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:46pm
With the hand clutch ready to go, time to clean up and paint the torque tube. To me the worst part of working on these old things is cleaning up to paint.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 9:49pm
My plan is to have everything ready to go in next spring when it gets warm enough to pull the motor. Then it can go on the engine stand for the pan gasket treatment.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 4:59pm
Looks like you have it going your way, good job! Like the old saying go's "don't tosh old parts you might need them latter on down the road" I live by this. lol
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:20am
The mild weather this month has let me get a lot of work done. Having the torque tube, hand clutch, hydraulic pump done before tearing the tractor apart will shorten my downtime a bunch.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:15pm
Update time.

Well, winter arrived with the holiday season, deer season, and a new puppy for the girlfriend. This all combined to slow my progress a lot.

Painted several of the small parts.

One of the things that slowed me down is the oil seal on the shaft. They originally came with two seals, this shaft had a repair kit installed. It took quite a while to track down the right seal for it, (Thanks to Reed at the Farm Store)

It is two seals in one and requires a spacer.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 8:32pm
This has also slowed my progress this winter.

jwssmithfarms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwssmithfarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:48pm
Is the Lp gas tank and carb for sale
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 9:09am
Originally posted by jwssmithfarms jwssmithfarms wrote:

Is the Lp gas tank and carb for sale

Yes, will be awhile before I can get them off the tractor though.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 9:57am
Time for a little update, finally got time to start the tear-down. Unfortunately the battery was dead in my camera so I didn't get as many action shots as I would have liked.
Here it is with the oil leaking engine out.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 10:05am
The ring gear wasn't good, don't know how this worked. Never had a problem with it though. Not going back in though, had a flywheel surfaced and ready to go.

Pile of the propane stuff. That tank is heavy! Will have to add one set of wheel weights to re ballast this thing!

All I have for now, working on this thing today, hopefully get the bell housing and torque-tube out and start going back together.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 8:57am
New clutch and pressure plate installed.

Finally got the tear down done, ready to start going back together.

Going in the right direction.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 9:08am
The bushing in the throttle quadrant was almost worn through and one spring broken, good time to address that. It's interesting what you find when you tear one of these things down. There must have been a running change made in the throw-out bearing tube. I did find parts to make this work and they were mismatched in the tractor, which actually wore a hole in the tube.

I would like to give this tractor a proper paint job but not going to happen this year.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 10:04am
Well Mike, Are you going to sell the LP parts now?
  I have an old WD with propane and the exhaust was clean, so was the oil between changes. and the fuel never varnished either. and nobody ever stole the gas out of it. but when we had mileage between fields, it came home to get filled up. Always thought a WD45 set up with LP would have been nice, and so were the 190XT on propane, smooth running tractors.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 12:10pm
Yes, the propane set-up is for sale. Everything I have for it included. Hood, tank, manifold, mixer (carburetor type thing), plumbing, all as a package. Not sure what a fair asking price is. If someone is interested just contact me and we'll work something out, Mike. 
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 10:42am
Starting to look like a gas tractor again. I really hoped to get this thing running this weekend but apparently I'm not very fast reassembling. Have some mowing to do with this thing, would be nice to get done before the snow flies.

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 12:01pm
It's looking good! It's hard to comprehend how much time all those little piddly things take to assemble.

I like your front tires and rims. Looks just like mine
shameless (ne) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless (ne) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 9:10pm
looks like you been really busy, and all looking good! and i'm glad i'm not the only one with a toy(s) on my work bench! and that si one cute little puppy you gots! what kind? and I wanna see more pics of it!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 11:08am
The pup in the pic is a golden retriever, not quite three months at that time. Here is a more recent shot, about 8&1/2 months now. This is the only other picture of her I have now.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:53pm
Once again it's update time, finally!
I hit a few snags that really slowed my progress on this. The big one was a seal that I ruined when I assembled the torque tube to the bell housing. Just got to remove the engine to fix that little hydraulic leak. Once I got that buttoned up, started fighting with the fuel delivery, tank was rustier than I thought it was. Kept plugging the neck in the sediment bowl. Pulled the tank, about 5 pounds of nuts and bolts, shake till you can't shake any more and wala. Since this tractor started life as a WD it had the short fender mounts, changed them out to the tall ones today. Installed the hood, (best one I had) good enough for now, not a show tractor.

A shot with the M5 Dixie Cutter.

Last year I had trouble with hold position not holding, scalping, so I built and installed these 'feet'.

I think Murphy was riding shotgun with me today, when I engaged the pto, didn't go 10 feet and the button, pin that holds the coupler on the pto shaft left and ended my mowing for the day.

This has been a fun project, a little trying at times but still fun. It took a lot longer than I had anticipated, which is not unusual for me. The tractor has a few other things that need attention, pretty sure one axle seal is bad, will fix that when I get wheels and tires figured out for it and change the grease in the final drives. I have Char-Lynn power steering I was going to put on but decided to wait to get the thing up and running. I installed the pulley so that part is done. 
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 11:13pm
You have done one fine job on the old WD!Thumbs Up
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 5:51am
Thanks Don.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 8:29am
Little update unrelated to the unconversion. I found the gasket on the hydraulic oil dipstick shot. Agco has these things still and they aren't too expensive. I bought 5. Have installed three, two tractors actually had good ones. These things shrink over time. The oil fill cap does the same thing.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 8:43am
As mentioned earlier in the thread this tractor had a final drive seal leaking. This is the good side, went ahead and serviced both. Who knows when it was last done.

Not what you want the inside of the rim to look like.

Got the seal changed and took her for a spin, everything looks good. I'm really starting to like this thing. Even the wide-front. A happy consequence of this project was finding out I sheared a bolt on the Dixie cutter. When that happened last fall I thought I took the intermediate gear out of the narrow front 45. Took the mower off the wide-front tractor for the final drive project so I put it on the narrow front and went to mow. Mowed about an acre of tall grass, worked like a charm. Talk about a load off my mind not having to work on that intermediate gear. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic