This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 Gas rebuild options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbuttre835 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD 45 Gas rebuild options
    Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 9:57pm

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Dad bought a WD 45 (1954 model if I recall correctly, I looked the s/n up sevvvveral years ago) with the motor stuck.  Had set out for several years and rusted the pistons to the sleeves.  Bottom end of the motor looks good.

Time for a piston / sleeve kit. 

I found one on eBay, with flattop 4 1/8" pistons, for $325 plus the trip.  This ought to provide a little more grunt than the power crater pistons, correct?

I read posts on here too, about using 175 pistons, or D17 LP gas pistons, or WD pistons, to increase compression ratio a little....

We don't plan to antique pull or anything... just do a little bushogging, work an acre or 3....

Is the eBay deal, or a sponsor here, the safest bet?  would hate to get an oddball kit and them smack the head or something due to wrist pin height...

All help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 9:45am
I recommend calling Sandy Lake, one of the sponsors here. Evilbay deals always have a chance of something going wrong. 170-175 pistons had the most compression. There are over bore kits out there, but usually compression is unknown. From what I've been told many times they are usually O.E. compression for a WD. Over bore helps, but if it's giving up compression, you loose out on efficiency and the actual gains aren't much.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 10:02am
I'm with Brain on this, Please help the site sponsors first, They will get just what you need and can help you with parts that evil bay might not have or can even get you.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 10:50am
eBay deals can bite you.  Frequently the kits are slimmed down and leave out a few parts to get the prices below what us dealers sell them for every day.  Not always, but it happens.  Also, it's well worth knowing what brands you are getting in the kits.  Many of the ebay dealers don't know thier products and have never installed or even touched them.  I sell on ebay too, but stick with items I have either researched or personally know.  That's why I have maybe 20 listings at a time, and many of the other sellers will have 1000's at once.
A rebuild is not the place to just guess at. Call and talk to the dealer you want to purchase from and build a relationship.  Then when you have questions, you know they will answer the phone, and not ignore emails.
JimD
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
bluebanshee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebanshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 11:17am
We used a TISCO kit from  ytmag. It was only slightly more expensive than piecing together gasket sets, rebuild sets, etc from eGay. The pistons had less of a dish than the aftermarket pistons that were already in the tractor. From what I've read they are probably 7.4:1. Tractor runs great but only has 4 hours on it so far. When I was looking for kits some of them didn't come with certain parts or didn't list them if they did. With the complete kit I didn't have to order anything else except oversized valve seats that the machine shop put in.

Edited by bluebanshee - 13 Nov 2010 at 11:18am
cbuttre835 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbuttre835 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 6:34pm
Thanks for the replies... I finally found the advertising section out on the main site. 

OK, looking at tractordata.com, looks like the WD-45, WD-45 LP, D17 gas, D17 LP, 170 gas, and 175 gas all used a 226 CI engine (4.0 x 4.5) at some point in time.

Let me see if I got this straight

WD-45 Gas   6.45:1 CR   1400 RPM   43 hp tested
WD-45 LP   7.2:1 CR   1400 RPM   44 hp tested
D17 Gas   7.25:1 CR   1650 RPM   52 hp tested
D17 LP   8.25:1 CR   1650 RPM   50 hp tested
175 gas  8.2:1 CR   1800 RPM  60 hp tested
170 gas  8:1 CR  1800 RPM  54 hp tested

Looks like to get the most bang for the buck we need to hunt up a set of 175, or D17 LPG, pistons - assuming that wrist pin height is compatible? 

That, and balance the rotating assembly and get it on up to 2000 RPM or so.... <rolls eyes>

I've always heard of a "stinger" kit - haven't found that on google though.... was supposed to be an upgrade for the WD-45.  Anyone heard of that?
C w/ 3rd gear out

D15 II factory 3 point

WD (no motor!)(parts for sale!)

WD 45 wide front
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 9:35pm
According to the parts book, the pistons for the WD for high altitude kerosene fuel is 5.0 to 1, this same part number is used for the WD45 LP and makes 7.2 to 1 with the longer stroke crankshaft.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic