This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 changing rearend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD 45 changing rearend
    Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 8:31pm
depends on the HP level. the helical gear transmission is stronger. The WD transmission has a low gear of 2.5 MPH and the WD-45 is 2.3 MPH. Doesn't sound like much, but when you use 38 inch tires the difference becomes more pronounced....faster is better if you must use low gear, as long as you have enough engine, that is. Second gear and third gear speeds are identical between the two transmissions.
Sponsored Links

NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by bigcountry48 bigcountry48 wrote:

I agree with doctor Allis, you'd be better off to just unbolt everything from the bell housing back and replace it with either a wd45 or wd45 diesel rearend. I unbolted my frame rails and the six bolts from the bell housing, and it was as simple as sliding the rearend out, switching tires, and sliding the new rearend in.

I'm a little late to this party, but I have a question.  What would be the advantage to swapping a WD45 rear-end onto a WD? 

I ask because I will soon have a 45 without an engine.  I have a WD with a decent eng.  Besides changing from straight cut to helical cut gearing, is there another reason?
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
graveyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graveyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 7:18pm
Ky it is a series 3 but it is free
orange View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 8:21am
    I have a wd-45 rear end assy would sell (diesel) in S.D. Are you in Missouri?

terrykaaz880@tnics.com
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 8:11am
The old WD trans. won't take much HP.  MACK
56allis_msu View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 56allis_msu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 7:51pm
Find you a diesel rearend and save yourself a whole bunch of time and headache. Me and a friend had mine swapped in no time. Rearends aren't plentiful but I'd check with Tony C and he could probably hunt you up one.
bigcountry48 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigcountry48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:01pm
I agree with doctor Allis, you'd be better off to just unbolt everything from the bell housing back and replace it with either a wd45 or wd45 diesel rearend. I unbolted my frame rails and the six bolts from the bell housing, and it was as simple as sliding the rearend out, switching tires, and sliding the new rearend in.
1950 B, 1952 pulling wd, and 1954 wd45
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 11:58am
The old WD's are a sliding gear style transmission with roller bearings on the countershaft. The ring and pinion from a WD-45 or D-17 will NOT work in that transmission housing. It is simply different and none of the gears interchange. Now, if you wanted to try and machine the housing for Timken bearings on the countershaft, and graft a WD-45 transmission inside it then?? maybe, but why would you go to all that work when you could change the whole rear end as-is??
8070 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 10:52am
U can do it but u got find the rightsize baiting and use all 17 gamers in it and it should work
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 7:22pm
NO.
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 6:49pm
ok will the old d17 ring and pinion fit a plain wd
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 4:17pm
9 teeth and 35 teeth on the D-17 and WD-45 diesel......15% slower than a regular WD-45 gas.
Fields View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 3:08pm
what state are you in?

8070 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 1:17pm
What the how many teeth on a DSL rand p of a 45 ..
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 5:50am
You need the ring and pinion from a WD-45 diesel or an OLD D-17.....newer D-17's were just a little different in main shaft length.
graveyard View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graveyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:51pm
Some help please I asked this question last year and had a good response. Wanting to put d17 ring and pinion into wd 45. Any ideas or show me how to search old posts of mine thanks!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic