This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wc vs wd or d17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wc vs wd or d17
    Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 5:47am
wondering  if a wc with 38 tires and 226 as a wd45 /d17 would be any better because of the lower gear ratio of 7:32 compared to wd45 with 13:43 or d17 9:35. realize that the d17 would have the advantage of the high/lo. but the wc can be made alot lighter then the other two mentioned . to be fair thou we would make them the same weight to compare
if farming was easy everybody would be doing it
Sponsored Links

Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 6:33am
You're off on your gear ratio thinking. The WC is much faster than the others mentioned. The D17 is the slowest. A WC with 38" rubber is going to take a lot more snot under the hood than a D17 with whe same rubber and weight.

It's going to depend on what weight you want to run, speed limit, track and sled conditions as to which gear ratio will work best.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 9:21am
A wd is the best in my opinion. Fast and has straight cut gears.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 9:48am
WD45, you can make it lighter and use the add on weight to better balance the tractor.

Check club rules as many places have rules stating you can't pull below your shipping weight
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
farmer_rob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 2:13pm
so i guessing the d17 would make a better puller because of the advantage of having the high/lo. but it gives up the advantage on being able to get into 4000 under class correct?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 6:25pm
d17 and wd45 diesel ring gear and pinions are identical ratio.
farmer_rob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer_rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 7:44pm
i know where there is a wd45d for sale but i havent heard run yet.. the guy wants 3000 for it.. it needs some loving but he says it will run if batteries were put in. my big fear is that 230 is tired and likely needs a rebuild. would i be beter off just pulling with it till it blows then put a 226 in it. ill be putting 12.6x38's on it and stripping off all unesscary things.
thanks for your advice
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 8:30pm
if you already have a wd45 gas you may be cheaper off changing the ring gear and pinion as long as the d17 it comes from is the first series.  i have a diesel rear end $ 500 for it complete.

Edited by mlpankey - 07 Oct 2012 at 8:31pm
johnTurner View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnTurner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 1:28am
I just required some information and was searching on Google for it. I visited each page that came on first page and didn’t got any relevant result then I thought to check out the second one and got your blog. This is what I wanted!

Moncler Jackets
Moncler Coats For Men
Karen Millen Outlet
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 4:15pm
  J O H N    T U R N E R
          S P A M
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic