This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC vs UC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC vs UC
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:25am
For a long time I have been wonderiing why the UC didn't sell better than it did. There was only one in the area that I knew of,,,,, and I was a junior or senior in high school before I even knew of that one.
Were they priced too high,,,were they hard to steer or maneuver,,, were they just simply to big, I find this hard to believe because there were F-30's around...

I'm perplexed,,,,,,,,,,,,,
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:35am
in '34 a WC on steel was $675 and UC on steel was $940

on rubber they were $825 and $1150 respectively

only about 6000 UC were produced. they do steer hard.  I would imagine the frugality of the times played a part in the lower cost unit selling more.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 01 May 2018 at 11:37am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 5:44pm
A WC usually replaced a team of horses and a lot easier to justify that first tractor purchase, probably more versatile in use.  A UC would have been for an addition for larger operation likely.
Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
51ACWD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:40pm
My favorite series is the U, UC, and M crawler. In the 30's. People were coming out of the depression and they owned less farm land. When it came to operation costs, the WC was a LOT better. At the time, the WC was more advanced technological wise than the UC. Fuel costs were less and farmers looked at the expense of owning a 3 plow vs 2 plow tractor. A 301-318 engine vs a 201 is a lot more to feed. The fuel cost to them would justify going to a WC vs a UC minus a furrow. The WC became one of the top selling tractors for Allis for a reason. Cost vs operation. UC's are big machines. I think the WC is where allis started thinking size vs. Power. A wd would compete with a Farmall M, and save 1/4 of the fuel. It came down to dollars and cents.
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:14am
Hmmmm! Kinda what I was thinking about the cost of the two,,,,,,,,, and it seemed like they were more patient back then about transferring man-hours vs machine-costs. And I do realize the value of ease of operation of a WC,,,,,,, I started about ten or twelve years old on my dad's 37 WC, which I still have to restore.....
I wish I had gotten more serious doing it when I had a back, strength, ability! Maybe I can wheedle a grandson or two..............
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
51ACWD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51ACWD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:39am
I never truly understood operation though. A wc and Uc both use hand brakes with a seat that is less than ideal for operation. I suppose since the uc was more expensive, and had more operating cost, the wc was better. By the time the first WC came out, the UC was only couple years old. If memory serves me right, when the first wc came out was '34 and the first UC was '30 or '31. From the time the WC came out to when the WD came out was '48, there was more years between the next "successor" so to speak. The WC was a long running design and that too may play in sales numbers.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:57am
Have to stop and think about what the tractor designs were in the begining...
Big and heavy... Used for busting the ground in the prairies and for belt power like on sawmills and threshing machines etc. Those were built with just one or two speeds. The designs were mostly were for heavy work while the horses did the planting and cultivating and other work. But there was a need for the small tractors, and most were still heavy and / or clumsy. Avery had seemed to have the first real light weight, Allis had the 6-12, 18-30,  Ford made his small fordson tractor, international had their 8-16, 10-20, 15-30,  Case, Dart, Hart Par,  Minneapolis, Twin City, Russel, Wallis were changing to the smaller designs and by the mid 1920's, the heavy mammoths were no longer being built. People started using the tractors more for the jobs horses were still being used for...and by the thirties the companies had changed their tractors in design so they could also accommodate planters and cultivators... and had some 'row crop' tractors mixed with the small heavy tillage tractor designs.  The UC was just an old U allis design in the process of trying to fit the 'row crop' family... and then came the WC which was lighter and cost less and of course less power but fit the small farmers budget.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:21am
The Fordson that Henry brought out during or just before WW1 was so much cheaper than the big tractors of that time that it put many manufacturers out of business from lost sales.

The front of the Fordson was rather light and if the load being pulled was hitched to the rear axle it tended to flip over squeezing the driver between the tractor and the hitch. "climbing the ring gear." There were after market rear fenders available to limit that flipping for the safety of the driver. Proper hitching below the axle was important too.

It did take cash or a loan to acquire a tractor to replace horses on the farm, but in a couple years it turned the farm profit around significantly by allowing more of the farm to be producing salable crops instead of taking up a quarter of the farm to feed the horses.

Gerald J.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Gerald J. Gerald J. wrote:

..... instead of taking up a quarter of the farm to feed the horses.

Gerald J.

Modern day version, try growing enough soybeans or sunflowers to squeeze your own biofuel so you don't have to buy fuel!  The math I did on that when this was dad's suggestion was pretty eye opening.  Horses were darn efficient in comparison! Haha
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:37am
In 1934 the highly successful WC was born. By 1939, the WC got streamlined and (in my way of thinking) should have gotten a bigger brother....the WC-40. This would have been able to compete with the "M" Farmall and would have been perfect timing in 1948 for the release of the WD-35 and WD-45 at the same time.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:40am
JMHO....The big thing with the UC was, it was never planned as a row crop tractor. It was a stopgap built to compete and capitalize on the success Farmall was having with the Farmall Regular. Allis had entered into the United agreement in 29. They really didn't have a row crop style machine at all at the time. They did however have a good basis for a machine, The U. This also would explain why a UC didn't happen til 1930, and only a handful that year.  They adapted it to get by a while till 33 (34 for practical purposes) with the WC. The UC is not well thought out, and the more time spent on one, the more you'll come to accept it. I think it was a way to gain a little market til the WC was ready to sell.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:31pm
Well the UC was still listed in 1935 catalogue, along with the WC, the U, model E and the Rumely 6 & 6A... 
  Pictures show it here as on steel, but all the tractors were available with either steel or rubber and the UC was also pictured with rubber tires too, just not on the two pages below.  Thompson ran the Allis UC in their cane tractors up to 1950's if I recall correctly.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 1:54pm
There is no question that the UC was a "real horse" - try taking off the cylinder head on a UC" - but with the introduction of the WC in our area - Maryland near Baltimore - I cannot believe Pop ever selling a U or UC.   Sold a few M's.  The WC was just what the Dr ordered.  One of the units that MADE Allis Chalmers.
Anyway, for all the excellent reasons given above there was not a demand for the UC in our area.  I can only remember one that we serviced.  BIG!
Good Luck!
Bill Long
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 2:41pm
The UC isn't a good seller today either
BEK View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 3:56pm
Appearances may have helped sales of the WC too. 

JMHO, but the early unstyled WCs are the best looking tractors Allis Chalmers ever made.  Wink
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 7:05am
One reason the UC is not popular among collectors is it is too wide to haul on most trailers.

Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic