This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'war

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'war
    Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:22pm
Sponsored Links

tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:44pm
strange - kicked me off for 'spamming' oh well. shourd have been "war stories"  Seeing the picture of the E posted here reminded me of the time MANY years ago a customer kept calling telling he could not keep corn in his E III.  I suggested several things to check but none worked.  Customer traveled to different farmers,  again no success.  He came to see me and said he could only keep corn in the E in road gear.  I knew something was amiss and was curious by now and told him I would be out later that day.  I drove up on the farm he was shelling in and heard a Piper Cub coming in for a landing, or thats what it sounded like.  (Did I mention  the customer was almost totally deaf?)  Anyway the E came around the corner of the field and turned back into the corn row with the two row header.  I was 10 yards away and was pelted by cobs and corn thrown by the single spreader which I could hear making a low humming sound due to high speed. I finally got the fellow stopped - nearly beat me since less er  trying to pass the combine on foot and getting his attention.  The mighty E was WAY overrevving.  I noticed the gathering chains were about a foot outside the header due to centrifical force. The combine dieseled for a half minute and  finally died.  Customer came out of the cab and yelled "somethings wrong here" .    I agreed and proceeded to examine the combine. The wooden raddle was in shambles, don't know how it was running as about every other slat was broke, the straw walker blocks were literally smoking.  I climbed up on the engine and found the problem. He had cleaned out  the carb and when reinstalling it had swapped the choke and throttle cable. He was running the unit at wide open throttle! Evidently he had been for a day or so.  No oil was in the crankcase and the engine had siezed. Bless his heart, he could not hear the problem at all.  He did set what I would say is a record for corn harvest during the time of WOT running though!
The destroyed EIII sat in the spot for years as he just farmed around it.  A monument to the little E that almost flew.
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:52pm
Thats a good one Tbran.
             IG
Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 9:53pm
Sounds like my grandparent's neighbor Joe Bower, He's a good man but his son is a little hard on equipment. "just hit it with a hammer it'll unclog" half the tractors ain't even got hoods anymore.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Kevin(Alabama) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin(Alabama) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 12:03am
Tbran? War? and I thought I was going to read about them yankees again. lol
"I would die a thousand deaths before I would betray a friend."...Sam Davis, Nov. 27, 1863.....DEO VINDICE
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:28am
naw  typed "war - and then before I could finish with  -stories"  I got this flashing red message of  "we do not allow spam , you have posted spam, too many posts to much spam" and on and on  - kind of scared me.  anyway I went to the fridg, got a spam sandwich and finished my story on a cold winter night.   Kevin - you get any suthn snow?    
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 8:58am
Funny! I believe in subliminal, and if I see peanuts I want some, but it would have to be a pretty strong message to make me go to the fridge for a spam sandwich!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Kevin(Alabama) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin(Alabama) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 8:23am
yea, Tim we got 10 inches here and it still has the ground covered, but it hasn't been to bad, I would take 10 inches of snow any day over 1/2 inch of ice. Anyway I liked the story of the E, It kinda reminded me of the story you told me of the Spra Coupe that you drove though your mothers yard that didn't have any brakes.
"I would die a thousand deaths before I would betray a friend."...Sam Davis, Nov. 27, 1863.....DEO VINDICE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic