This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vehicle Oil Change Interval ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

my tractors had oil and filter changes every 100 hours, my vehicles get both changed every 2000 miles. 

At how many months/oil change did that work out to ?? The only reason I ask is, what about the guys that only put  40-50 hours/ year on an engine ?
Sponsored Links

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

my tractors had oil and filter changes every 100 hours, my vehicles get both changed every 2000 miles. 
2000 miles?  Wow....how many months is that, is that why?

Maybe this should start with once upon a time or this is no shista.  LOL
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:47pm
it's something i always did, taught to me by my Dad. i've never had to do an engine overhaul on anything. used to drive 50+ miles a day, and never had engine problems. my old Dodge van has just short of 1 million miles on it before i retired it, not from any engine problem, but from rust! when things start falling out the sides, it's time for retirement! when i had my vending company, i'd put on 100,000 (-/+) miles a year. never sat along the road with engine problems. Dad always said: that is the cheapest overhaul you can give to an engine, changing the oil and filter. 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:07pm
Mine gets changed at 3000 miles. Son told me he sold the 1988 GMC I bought used with 75000 miles on it. Valvoline 10w x30 oil. I gave it to him at 300000 miles, he ran it to 560000 miles. He had a couple of Spanish speaking employees wanting to go home to Mexico City. They made it and down there they consider this to be a "low milage" pickup. New Chevy gets changed at 5000 miles. Been taking it back to the dealership so there is no question about the warentee.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 6:41am
Well, feels like I'm messing with the universe or teasing the gods, but I also have never had engine troubles on a vehicle (well, 'cept that Pontiac, but that wasn't an oil issue in any way) and go by 5000 miles, or the oil life monitor if it has one, or on the turbo gasoline car I had, 3000.  Oil has come a long long way over the years.  Suit yourself and do what you want, just gotta say I don't think I've ever heard of that short of an interval.

To freedguy's comment, I think tractors should and my tractors do get oil changed at least annually.  Most of my tractors reach hours before a year, but the one that gets lower hours still gets annually.  Collectors that get a couple hours a year, well, that's a whole 'nother discussion.  I likely won't ever be a collector.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm

Well, feels like I'm messing with the universe or teasing the gods, but I also have never had engine troubles on a vehicle (well, 'cept that Pontiac, but that wasn't an oil issue in any way) and go by 5000 miles, or the oil life monitor if it has one, or on the turbo gasoline car I had, 3000.  Oil has come a long long way over the years.  Suit yourself and do what you want, just gotta say I don't think I've ever heard of that short of an interval.

To freedguy's comment, I think tractors should and my tractors do get oil changed at least annually.  Most of my tractors reach hours before a year, but the one that gets lower hours still gets annually.  Collectors that get a couple hours a year, well, that's a whole 'nother discussion.  I likely won't ever be a collector.

"I likely won't ever be a collector."

Oh now don't say that, you know if you farm with them long enough you'll be a collector.Wink

My neighbor farmed with a 99 Oliver 3-71 and a 1900 Oliver 4-71 till he retired, then he became a avid Oliver collector and sold his 2 Olivers to a couple other tractor collectors.  He just happened to farm........ oops, I mean collect Olivers that other people wanted. LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

"I likely won't ever be a collector."

Oh now don't say that, you know if you farm with them long enough you'll be a collector.Wink

My neighbor farmed with a 99 Oliver 3-71 and a 1900 Oliver 4-71 till he retired, then he became a avid Oliver collector and sold his 2 Olivers to a couple other tractor collectors.  He just happened to farm........ oops, I mean collect Olivers that other people wanted. LOL
I hear that.  Actually, have some stuff that's....uh..."collectable".  What I mean is, that guy that restores, paints, washes, waxes, parades.  I should (would?)  sell my 2 collectables if it weren't for dad and probably my sister to some extent.  Because there they sit, neglected, getting worse, engine probably stuck on the one now.  Sad.  I kind of wish I had the time and money to mess with them, but then I would also need the tools, knowledge, and facilities!
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 10:08pm

it's something i always did, taught to me by my Dad. i've never had to do an engine overhaul on anything. used to drive 50+ miles a day, and never had engine problems. my old Dodge van has just short of 1 million miles on it before i retired it, not from any engine problem, but from rust! when things start falling out the sides, it's time for retirement! when i had my vending company, i'd put on 100,000 (-/+) miles a year. never sat along the road with engine problems. Dad always said: that is the cheapest overhaul you can give to an engine, changing the oil and filter. 

So Shameless how often do you change oil and filter on that Dodge van that got a million miles on it? What engine was in it? No over hauls in a million miles is amazing! Did you use synthetic oil in it?
Thanks
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:25pm
I change my oil around 5000 miles or in the fall whichever comes later. The newer ones I change when the oil change light comes on. Usually write the mileage down and it comes out around 7000 miles. My corvette and the plow truck haven't had oil changes in 5 years. I had been changing the Corvette yearly but it only gets a couple hundered miles a year. I just don't have time to drive it so it takes up valuable space in my small heated shop.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:44pm
changed oil and filter every 2000 miles, had the 318 engine, i replaced the tranny twice, but the engine has never been opened up. i have a dude looking to buy the van right now, he said he's heard of other 318's getting high miles and still go fine. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic