This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USA Made Filters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USA Made Filters
    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 7:01pm
There's a topic on AT about filters (Wix) and the fact that most guys have bailed on them because they're now made in China. Donaldson was also brought up as a "top-notch" filter but was "iffy" on the origin of manufacture. A gentleman claimed CAT filters were the go-to American made filter but got shot down pretty quick Confused .My question is, do ANY of the filter companies , including AGCO, offer an American made filter of any variation; air, oil, fuel ??
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 7:21pm
Many companies have manufacturing plants in the USA, China, Japan, Tiawan, Mexico... They may make a filter for one engine in the USA and another engine in China.. I would guess you have to check EACH BOX to verify where it is made... If your asking does one company ONLY make filters in the USA......... I doubt it.

Fram, Wix, Donaldson, Champion all make filters in the USA... but not 100%.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 7:23pm
Most new "AMERICAN TRUCKS" have 30% or more of the "parts" built outside the USA... same with everything.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 7:25pm
That was another point brought up on the other forum, country of origin of the product or the country that the box was made/printed in LOL.
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 8:09pm
Just installed some Wix air filters that were made in USA. Dont know if I just got lucky or not
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

There's a topic on AT about filters (Wix) and the fact that most guys have bailed on them because they're now made in China. Donaldson was also brought up as a "top-notch" filter but was "iffy" on the origin of manufacture. A gentleman claimed CAT filters were the go-to American made filter but got shot down pretty quick Confused .My question is, do ANY of the filter companies , including AGCO, offer an American made filter of any variation; air, oil, fuel ??

Freed, I don't know who but probably either Baldwin, Fleetguard, Donaldson(probably) or Wix makes AGCO filters,  I could be wrong but they outsource that.  Wix over 20 years ago was making filters in mexico, china would be a new one.  Fram is complete junk, hastings is junk(I think Baldwins cheap line),  but the first four I listed I have seen multiple filters cut open and they are always good.  Even win Wix said made in Mex on the box it was good.  Now if it said made in China I would question the product.

Seen a Fram small black chevy oil filter opened once the was so piss poor that there was a piece of string wrapped and glued around the center so the paper would separate.  That's No Joke!!!!
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:08pm
bought a pair of Wix oil filters # 51452 for our D17 recently says made in USA on the filter. Box says made in Mexico.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 1:34am
Older sister spent 6 years in Mexico managing a Donaldson filter factory. She spent time in Belgium and Canada. Never had a problem with fram filters. Everything I gots except the new pickup has over 200000 miles on them. Gonna keep running them.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 8:42am
There has been a campaign against FRAM filters for 20 years... You can see hundreds of posts on the internet.. Most are pushing BAD info.. Dont know how it all started. FRAM has been in business for 85 years and is a BIG manufacturer. MILLIONS of cars/ trucks/ tractors continue to uses FRAM filters without problems.  I used them from 1970 till 2001. Started using Motocraft filters with the NEW modular Ford motors.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

There has been a campaign against FRAM filters for 20 years... You can see hundreds of posts on the internet.. Most are pushing BAD info.. Dont know how it all started. FRAM has been in business for 85 years and is a BIG manufacturer. MILLIONS of cars/ trucks/ tractors continue to uses FRAM filters without problems.  I used them from 1970 till 2001. Started using Motocraft filters with the NEW modular Ford motors.

I am on several old car forums and many of the posters have said the best way to wreck an engine is to use Quaker State motor oil along with a Fram filter. 

My understanding is a number of years ago Fram "cheapened" their filters, don't know if it was the whole product line or just one line, by using a fiber/paperboard type material for the end caps instead of metal and several (okay, many) people had filters that failed and ruined some very expensive engines. Poor design? Poor quality control? Happened too frequently to be just a coincidence.  Are they better now? I would hope so but I don't know for sure.

I usually go for the WIX brand or a private label WIX, you tell by the WIX number with another number added. I do use a Fram filter for one of my old cars as nobody else makes the correct size it but it is a bypass system in a canister so not too worried about the filter "blowing apart" and ruining my engine.

Edited by iowallis - 15 Mar 2021 at 10:50am
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 12:42pm
I'm sure Fram was a good product at one time but that wasn't the case by the 90's,  when you want to sell cheap in the discount retailers quality isn't a priority.

Frams first fix was the string glued around the middle the second was a tin bypass at the bottom that set in a hole in the filter paper end, ya that let the oil by when their crap paper was plugged.  If they used the exact same paper as wix, baldwin, fleetguard, etc, they would be worthless still,  if I remember right a 51061 wix had 51 folds of paper and the same fram had 14.  The good filters have a coil spring bypass that is damn stout.  Fram is junk trust me, I wouldn't put them on a worn out motor that was burning 2 quarts a mile if I just wanted to drive it to the junk yard. Wink

I worked my way through college in a repair shop/parts store and we sold Wix filters, once a year we had a filter sale/customer appreciate day and there was a slug of various filters with a multitude of different applications cut open on display so you could see quality of what's in that tin can and the Fram was only on the display table so our customers got a good laugh and something to talk about when they ate.LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 15 Mar 2021 at 12:47pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 2:17pm
I worked in a factory one summer that made AC filters.  Man, you talk about BOOOOOORRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG!  Holy crap, what a crappy job.  $5 per hour.  

But, hey, we were in the USA!
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 2:47pm
Well Well Well, Tbone,  Luckily for me I didn't have to scrape buy on that little.LOL  I got paid $6 hr Winkand when I was working vehicles, tractors, equipment  they billed me out at $30/hr, but the boss fed me supper every night and I could eat, come to think of it he probably loss money when I worked for him. LOL

The boss had the part/repair shop and farmed,  he died 1 year after I left college, 24 years ago and I still farm his ground to this day, so I shouldn't be complaining.  He was a good man, never saw him get mad.  His wife is my neighbor and I still look out for her to this day.  She's 91 and has been like a second mother to me.  Good people are few and far between today.

Edited by Kansas99 - 15 Mar 2021 at 2:54pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 5:13pm
Nice.

Yes, yes they are.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic