This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update on Shop projects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update on Shop projects
    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:30pm
Well guys I finally got that f150 no start out of the shop. Ended up finding a broken wire from the fuse box back to the fuel pump driver. I ended up just running a new wire from the fuse box back.

I would like to thank you all for your help along the way. I was so focused on the vehicle having 180k on the clock that it had to be a mechanical problem instead of a wire problem. My biggest clue should have come when I tested the fuel pump. I started with a test light at the pump and it wouldn't light. I ended up using a volt meter to verify power. But there circuit wouldn't handle the load. That's when Dad asked why the test light wouldn't light. That should have tripped me right away but I over looked it.

Oh well you learn from your jobs and move on. The customer and I squared up and they were still very happy. They said they will be back.

I now have a clutch job in the shop. 2004 GMC 1500. It's all apart now just waiting on a new fly wheel and slave cylinder.

Going to have the local trans shop look at the trans. The input shaft seems to have a bit of wiggle to it.

Customer complained of hard shifting and it slipped. Dad and I diagnosed it. It was tough to shift at a stop sign. Once you got it going it was not bad. At a stand still you could hear the clutch dragging along. Any load on the clutch and it would squeal.

Got the trans out and the pieces kept falling out of the clutch disc. Plus the pilot bearing is so junk it feels like it has detents. No wonder it was tough shifting.

Well you know what is on my plate what do you guys have keeping you busy.

Edited by bobkyllo - 29 Mar 2020 at 7:31pm
Sponsored Links

bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:34pm
Oh I almost forgot. The d14 head is back from the machine shop so that can go back together with new rings and connecting bearings.

Also waiting on some engine parts to finish a 2007 Honda Odyssey van. Timing belt broke and bent some valves. Machine shop got the heads done. Now I wait for gaskets and timing belt
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 8:31pm
I had a pickup that was dragging in neutral so bad it would not go into reverse (there is an interlock that won't let it go into reverse if the gears are turning). The problem turned out to be a bad pilot bearing that was dragging. South Bend Clutch had sold me a kevlar bearing that was supposed to be "the be all end all fix". It had been install as per according to all of their instructions and had only been in the truck for about 40,000 miles I rebored the flywheel for a sealed ball bearing and haven't had any problem since except for the cheap Chinese disc that was in South Bends clutch kit had the pressed in drive hub come loose.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 8:57pm
Last spring I picked up a little planter for sweet corn and while getting it unloaded a section of the trailer deck fell through. Finally put it in the shop and the old is off. Will start laying new floor this week
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 11:30am
Changed oil in the dang Onan generator yesterday. Had to go to town and get a different oil filter wrench. Dam filter is stuck up in a hole with no room to get strap wrench or oil filter pliers on it. Plus the new oil filter is 1/2" shorter than the dang Onan filter making it worse yet. Ya not as bad as finding a busted wire or engine overhaul, but with the dang arther in my hands, just as difficult anymore. Still waiting on the timing/cam chain for the grandsons 400 kaw. It's only been 31 days since it was ordered. Waiting to get it outta the way so I can finish the overhaul of the shop.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 31 Mar 2020 at 11:30am
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Changed oil in the dang Onan generator yesterday. Had to go to town and get a different oil filter wrench. Dam filter is stuck up in a hole with no room to get strap wrench or oil filter pliers on it. Plus the new oil filter is 1/2" shorter than the dang Onan filter making it worse yet. Ya not as bad as finding a busted wire or engine overhaul, but with the dang arther in my hands, just as difficult anymore. Still waiting on the timing/cam chain for the grandsons 400 kaw. It's only been 31 days since it was ordered. Waiting to get it outta the way so I can finish the overhaul of the shop.

Pancake 2 cyl Onan? The OEM filter was plenty short to start out with! best to use one of them wrenches, that engage the flat spots/corners, on the filter in question!  Back when they had points, try changin them, I used up every word in my vocabulary, then I drilled a hole in the side of that @#$% little box that housed the points!  After that, adjustin them was pretty easy, remove 'lectric tape on box, insert flat blade screwdriver, and adjust till dwell was right, on meter!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:46pm
Changed the ball joints on my K2500 suburban. Got the wrong ones the first time. My suburban is the 9200 lb suburban. Uses all the parts for a 3500 instead of a 2500. Couldn't push the brake piston to reset for new pads another trip to town after breaking the bleeder off. Good thing I got brakes hoses at the same time. The close auto parts stores only had brake lines for the 7200 lb and less trucks. Had to take a trip and get the correct ones. 2 hours job took 2 full days. Even had to get my teenage son to assist me with the brake bleed. Can't find the power bleeder adapter to fit. I'll do it again next week when the new adapter gets here. And I'll hook up the Tech2 and do the antilock bleed. Did get my green house assembled just got to wait till the ground is thawed so I can move it outside its currently taking up a slot in my shop.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:04pm
Here is the latest shop project going on in my shop. Jo Jo's new "grocery getter" a 67' Nova Station Wagon. This has been a 6 year project going on in between other projects that I'm trying to finish. Still has a ways to go yet, but hopefully this summer I'll get it fired up. To get JoAnna to the grocery store a little quicker than normal, I dropped one of my favorite engines in- a 4.3L Vortec V6 with a pair of Weber carbs mixin' the air n' fuel. She should have fun with this thing. Now she has two toys. Her Wagon and here T-bird. And me? Still nothin' yet. WTH?  Well, she can't drive two at the same time...

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:06pm
Here's what's hidin' under the hood....
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:35pm
Very nice Chevy Steve!
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:57pm
Last summer my SIL blew up his rider. My BIL had a couple of Briggs engines that he gave me. One had good compression but missing the carb and starter. Luckily was able to rob the parts from the blown up engine and I go it running again.

Fast forward to this past Sunday I decided I needed to get it started for the first time this year. It had fuel but wouldn't start. Spark plug was wet due to no spark. New plug was the same. I next removed the kill wire going to the coil and still no spark. I had scrapped the old engine that was blown up and kept only the dip stick and the coil. And it was the same coil that I needed. How lucky is that. Now it's running again. How that coil went bad just sitting over the winter has me stumped.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:53pm
I put insurance on my 1975 Ford F150 yesterday going to drive it later this week been 4 years since it was on the road all rebuilt and repainted
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 3:03pm
I agree . Very nice grocery getter Steve !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic