This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unstyled WC questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unstyled WC questions.
    Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:55pm
I just bought an unstyled WC. There are a lot of problems with it but it was right around the corner and the price was right. Someone cobbled up an electric start for it. Did any of the Unstyled WC's come with the bell housing for a starter? If not, I need the correct bellhousing. Also, didn't the WC's have a different manifold with the exhaust coming out the side? Was there a hole in the hood? What about a hole for the temp gauge? There is also a hole to the left of the temp gauge and back towards the driver that looks factory. What is that for? Looks like a big project but most of the tin is good. Seems that a lot of the parts are there. I have wanted one for a long time. Can't wait to get it home.
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:05pm
Most people will agree that no unstyled WC's came factory with electric start, although there will be an argument about it.
I'm not sure if all had the 45 degree exhaust or not but that is the normal thing with no exhaust hole in the hood.
1936 (serial#29845) would have been the first temp gauge.
The other hole should have 3 small bolt holes near it, that is for the starter tank.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:10pm
No starter on unstyled WC's till the styled ones came out and the old ones got new bell housings. Mine has a starter and will keep it because it has been on there for the last 50 or 60 years.
I think most all WC's had the side exhaust with no hole in the hood. I think the all fuel WD's were the same. When a manifold needed replacing the tractor got what was on the shelf at the time which would be a straight up WD or 45 manifold.
 I don't believe the first WC's had a temperature gauge so no hole in the front of the hood. Mine will have one because it has been there for 50+ years and you can cook and engine real easy not knowing the temp of the coolant. Mine also has no thermostat so I will be adding a canvas temperature control like the originals.
 The extra hole on the left front of the hood is where the fill hole of the gas(starter)tank stuck through. Distillate would have been added to the rear fuel tank.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 10 Apr 2011 at 8:11pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:12pm

Far as I know, all unstyleds had the 45 degree exhaust. This one had a "modification" with a hole through the hood when we got it, not anymore though.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:16pm
Nice looking tractor Don. Did you fill the hole in or replace the hood?

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:20pm
No, we ended up using a tig welder in a metal fab shop, and cut a patch and filled it.
I notice that I didnt have the starter tank line hooked up yet, or the other stud bolt with nut on the tank yet. Must have been one of the trial runs.
BrianC,Ont View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC,Ont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:36pm
Dustin in MO has a pretty good argument for the unstyled WC with electric start. I seen it on my tour there. It has a choke setup and wiring for the ign switch that sure look original.

Brian
35WC on steel, B with belly mower, D17 puller, D15 Series II puller, D15 Series II with loader, 608 Lawn Tractor
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 9:04pm
Brian, talk to Bill Long. He can tell you cause he was there. Thanksgiving 1938 when the first styled WC's came and had starters on them.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:32am
Thanks! The parts hunt begins. Anyone know where a good place to look for unstyled parts is at?  Looks like I will need a bellhousing, seat pan, manifold... The list is going to to be long. Wouldn't mind putting this tractor on steel either. It has decent spokes on it now but I sure do want a steel wheeled tractor too.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:25am
Hey Charlie,  You remember. 
Yes, it was also snowing.  In fact my Uncle George and Pop left the Thanksgiving table after the meal - good one; always was - to unload the tractors.  Pop never wanted to pay dayage on flat cars. 
As I said earlier these WC's did not have the starter rod.  Pop had to walk up to the side of the engine and push the starter.  He did not mind though it was easier than cranking them.  The starter rods were received later and installed.
In answer to your question no the "flat top" WC's did not have a factory starter.  If they do the bell housing has been attached from a styled WC along with any other items such as choke and kill rods on the steering wheel.
Don, that is one nice looking flat top WC.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Max(ia) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max(ia) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:56am
As I've mentioned before, my 37 has electric start added.  Not the most handy starting, but as Bill said beats cranking.  Mine has the old carb without a choke rod,  so I lock the clutch down, work the choke with my left hand, push the start with my right.  It has 12v if i let the starter spin, it won't start.  Have to just hit the starter and let it turn over.  Starts right away.  I did add a kill switch at the steering column for safety.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:51am
That's the way my 35 is too Max. It had a pretty cobbled up electrical system on it so I am going to redo that and add a kill switch within reach of the operating station.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic