This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unstyled WC differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unstyled WC differences
    Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 5:59pm

Brought home an unstyled WC this afternoon.   Second half of two tractors that were going to China if I did not intervene.   Anyways, looking at this unstyled WC, the serial number on the rear end  WC41225 puts it as a 1937.  It has one F & H spoke rim on one side(shot) and one dished rim(shot) on the other side.   Front rims and hubs are 6 bolt, not 5.   When were all the changes on the rims, front and rear, done on unstyled WC's?   It also has a bellhousing with a starter hole, a generator, and lights.   All unstyled WC's were crank start only originally, correct?  Also, the exhaust hole goes straight up through the hood.  Didn't all unstyled come originally with side exit exhaust?   The engine was also replaced at one time with what looks to be a WD45 engine, or at least a WD45 block, as there is no plate on the side of the engine behind the magneto, which is also now a distributor.     I know over the years, many things on these tractors changed and noone carried about what the correct police would say, but it is interesting to see all the different modifications and progressions that this tractor has went through in the last 73 years.    I don't know what I'm going to do with this one.   I bought it buried in a dark corner and had to crawl over junk to look at it and couldn't see much of it, until today.  Was interesting to see the WD45 block today on it.   Told the wife, it would make a neat lawn ornament at least!!   Would really tick off the inlaws to have a tractor as decoration.   Does that make me a redneck?   I will post pictures of it in a bit. 

Sponsored Links

ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:10pm
Also, the engine serial number is WD357953PA.   There is definately no plate on the right side of it.   The serial number seems like it would be a 1953 WD engine, but it has no plate on it.  Didn't all WD engines have a plate on the side and the WD45 engine not have one?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:38pm
Here are some pics:
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:40pm

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 6:42pm

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:52pm
Info from Terry Dean's book.   '36 and 'most '37 had 6 bolt front wheels. Late '37 (serial # 59628) changed to 5 bolt hubs. Spoke rears were replaced by discs in '37 at #59636.
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 9:58pm
looks like pretty good sheet metal. I've got one for my front lawn. Everybody knows my place if they've ever been by it.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 11:09pm
WOW!! A real flat top filter too. LOL Looks like a pretty straight tractor Chuck. It looks way better than my 35 did when we pulled it out of the timber. All except the rear rims anyway.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:00am
Yeah, Charlie, the filter is going on the shelf!!   Well, I went out this morning and tried to crank her over and it's free, so that's great news.   Shouldn't take much to get it running.   Probably going to steel the carb and starter off of my WD and see if I can get her going and if so, then I will look for replacements, and a set of rear rims and tires, cause she's not moving too far in the state it's in. 
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:16am
Why isn't it allowed to move very far in Wisconsin? LOL

Looks like a great find.
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:48am
The seat on your tractor is a Knoedler
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 12:13pm
I didn't notice that Ted. It has a Knoedler seat on and AC spring it looks like. I have 2 Knoedler bases and 1 seat like that. The other seat was basically a C with leather attached. It looks like it would be comfortable.
 Hey, you can still buy a Koedler seat.
http://www.knoedler.com/KnoedlerTruckProducts3.2.00.htm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 6:33pm
Chuck theres lots of good parts there even if you junk it, I would for sure save the front rims & hubs, also the air cleaner pipe along with the dist. & maybethe whole engine.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 6:50pm
The casting number AM 3853 is definitely a WD45 engine block. The Unstyled WC's all came with hand crank only (to my knowledge),but the Styled WC/WD/WD45 bell housings all will bolt right up. Lots of different things have been done to these tractors over the years,so anything is possible.  Rick
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:48pm
Not only do you have 45 block, you also have the "tall" 45 head. Bought a WC that had a 45 block, but researching found that the original owner had a dealer installed replacement block installed back in the late 50s. Ours still had all WC guts in it and angle exhaust original magneto etc. I'm sure you have a complete WD45 engine. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:58pm
What's weird about the whole thing though is, it has a serial number stamped on the carb side that would make me think it is a WD engine.   Doesn't make sense.  The 45 engine had more stroke then the WD, correct, like 4" to 4.5"?   I wonder if I can put a wire down the spark plug hole and measure it and compare to see what internal parts I actually have.  If I got some time this week, I am going to try and get it fired up and running.   Wish I had some rear rims and tires!!
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:01pm
WD-45 engine would make it a very stout WC. Bet that would help you out on plow days.LOL!
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:07pm
I was going to make a tractor dedicated just to pulling.   This one just may be the one.
Stu ECWI View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu ECWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:34pm
Chuck,

I just happened into a pair of cast center 28 inch WC rims and tires.  One tire isn't much, but they both hold air and the rims look pretty good, in case this might work.  They're up here near Eden.

Stu
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 9:38pm
Stu, I'll send you a PM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic