This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UN DENTED CORN ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UN DENTED CORN ??
    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 5:07pm
Was out at the farm yesterday after being "off-site" for 2 weeks. I had high hopes of the corn stalks/ears being at least 80% yellowish. Sadly, the yellowish % is closer to 55%,and to complicate the issue, there are 2 different numbers of "supposedly" the same hybrid of  Dairyland Seed 2 days apart on machurity days.
We split the numbers on a 4 row planter but I neglected to mark any rows pertaining to the numbers. Long story short, one of the numbers has ears with fully dented kernals but still pierced with a thumbnail,the other # is not even in the dent stage yet. The farm experienced a 31' freeze this past Thursday morning but the greenish stalks with the un dented didn't look frostbit like the neighbors double crop beans do.
My question is, what is the worst-case-scenario with the undented corn? Will it reach dent stage after this freeze or just compile misery on the in-bin drying?
Sponsored Links

Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 8:57pm
Black layer means more than degree of dent....if the plant was freeze killed before the kernel black layered, it will take a long time to dry down...

Side note,, a hired agronimist,crop consultant, or whatever their called in your part of the country are worth hiring,,especially if your growing corn for more than a "hobby"
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

Side note,, a hired agronimist,crop consultant, or whatever their called in your part of the country are worth hiring,,especially if your growing corn for more than a "hobby"
I'll vouch for that!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 7:08am
It will take forever to dry down, and you'll likely have crappy test weight.  Test weight MIGHT be so bad it'll be hard to sell.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 1:17pm
...now if you'd just sold the stored corn back at the high,this crappy corn wouldn't hurt so bad....
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 1:24pm
It probably will not dry down much more. -- if its 45% or more, thats what you will have. It will be hard to combine and the test weight will be terrible. We got stuck with some one year that was 25 pounds at 45% moisture and at that time price was around $1.10, Better off using it for feed corn, or sell it to someone who can.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 2:34pm
Actually, if you have a few animals or somebody nearby does, I would chop it!  Terrible test weight makes terrible feed corn, that's why the price sucks so bad.  You can get paid for the silage, I did this a few years ago for a different reason.  Didn't make money, but lived to farm another day.  We were stuck with terrible test weight corn a few years ago.  I couldn't sell it very well, so I dried it down and used it for my ground feed.  A slight squeeze between your thumb and finger, and it would crush into 100 pieces, there was just nothing to it.  That's why the feed mill didn't want it, and he was right.

I'm not sue I agree 100% with ac fleet on the moisture content, I believe it will dry some, depending on the weather.  But your maturing days are over.

Honestly freedguy, no disrespect intended to your dad, but I cannot fathom on God's green earth under the sun why anyone would plant that long of maturity that late in the year in Michigan.  I wouldn't have been sleeping at night all year, only to have my fears proven correct with what you're seeing.  Again, I'm not trying to be a prick, I feel for you and your situation.  Been there.  Lesson learned I suppose.  Hopefully something turns out positive for you.

Edited by Tbone95 - 21 Oct 2019 at 2:36pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 5:45pm
OuchConfusedConfused
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Actually, if you have a few animals or somebody nearby does, I would chop it!  Terrible test weight makes terrible feed corn, that's why the price sucks so bad.  You can get paid for the silage, I did this a few years ago for a different reason.  Didn't make money, but lived to farm another day.  We were stuck with terrible test weight corn a few years ago.  I couldn't sell it very well, so I dried it down and used it for my ground feed.  A slight squeeze between your thumb and finger, and it would crush into 100 pieces, there was just nothing to it.  That's why the feed mill didn't want it, and he was right.

I'm not sue I agree 100% with ac fleet on the moisture content, I believe it will dry some, depending on the weather.  But your maturing days are over.

Honestly freedguy, no disrespect intended to your dad, but I cannot fathom on God's green earth under the sun why anyone would plant that long of maturity that late in the year in Michigan.  I wouldn't have been sleeping at night all year, only to have my fears proven correct with what you're seeing.  Again, I'm not trying to be a prick, I feel for you and your situation.  Been there.  Lesson learned I suppose.  Hopefully something turns out positive for you.
Cry Confused Sadly the varieties were "prepaid" in late December for the supposedly the "last" chance for a "discount" under pressure from the long time/trusted sales rep. Hindsight IMO, seed salesmen are right up there with used car salesmen Ouch. But, how many of you foresaw this springs weather?? Yes, I prodded dad into selling to the neighboring BIG TIME dairy farmer for silage. Thanks for the replies and NO disrespect from anyone read into any replies. Have a safe harvest guys Thumbs Up
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 8:05pm
I don't have a clue, could it be sold as fuel for corn stoves?
Maximum use of available resources!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

I don't have a clue, could it be sold as fuel for corn stoves?

I have never been thought this with corn,but have with wheat,oats,and barley. When it freezes you have what ever amount of the germ that had matured at that point. Growth has been stopped. No more carbohydrates are made. So I don't think there is much but the outer seed hull to burn,so much less heat produced at burning.

We always made hay or grazed it.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:10am
Freedguy, I think I saw you mentioned Dairyland Seed?  That is also my go to brand, I also participate in the early pay discount program, and so forth.  My guy would have no problem switching things out if at all possible when unforeseen things like this spring's ridiculous weather strike.  Sorry for what you're going through. 
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 7:17am
Old timers in my area of Michigan used to say corn frosted before the black layer developed has no "Chit" in it! Best use would be forage for Cattle. I would not try and crib as ear corn unless you like to use a pickaxe to get corn out of a crib! Elevator may refuse unless they can pay you nothing for it. Low test weight high moisture,call your local elevator and ask what their discounts are on corn.
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:04am
I was a dealer for seed corn and soybeans. If a customer had problems like losing farm ground, weather or other things. I would do what needs to be done so the customer was happy. If seed changes were needed, they paid if using more expensive seed, cheaper seed money back to them or prepaid seed returns they got their money back.
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Was out at the farm yesterday after being "off-site" for 2 weeks. I had high hopes of the corn stalks/ears being at least 80% yellowish. Sadly, the yellowish % is closer to 55%,and to complicate the issue, there are 2 different numbers of "supposedly" the same hybrid of  Dairyland Seed 2 days apart on machurity days.
We split the numbers on a 4 row planter but I neglected to mark any rows pertaining to the numbers. Long story short, one of the numbers has ears with fully dented kernals but still pierced with a thumbnail,the other # is not even in the dent stage yet. The farm experienced a 31' freeze this past Thursday morning but the greenish stalks with the un dented didn't look frostbit like the neighbors double crop beans do.
My question is, what is the worst-case-scenario with the undented corn? Will it reach dent stage after this freeze or just compile misery on the in-bin drying?
Everyone has  given a scenario as to what you could have done with the seed before planting but you need a way to salvage what you have. If I understand you correctly you had two boxes in the planter one variety and two boxes another if that is the case why couldn't you get a two row machine or a four row machine and take out the earlier number and leave the later one. At least this way you would have half a crop and not contaminate the whole harvest. Again that is if I understand your post correctly. Good luck at any rate.  Then you could wait and see how the late number turns out, may be able to get some thing for it.

Edited by 200 10and20 - 22 Oct 2019 at 9:25am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:36am
Well.....I gave the opinion that it should be chopped, and so did someone else.  With the crappy hay supply in MI this year, supposedly forage is valuable and hard to come by, and there might just be a farm not too far away that would buy the standing corn and chop it.  I can try to find out the value calculation if he's interested, but a cattle nutritionist can figure it out.  It's based on the price of corn and the overall plant moisture . . .  Your narrow machine idea is a good one.....assuming that other variety actually has good numbers which we don't know yet.
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:51am
Hopefully one of us will come up with a solution for him Tbone and that is a good idea also. May be he can do both harvest the good and make silage out of the bad.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 10:34am
Yeah.....I've got a 4 row combine.....be glad to help.....but I think that's a bit too long of a road trip!Wink
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 11:21am
Corn Silage is your best choice.
Probably the green undented corn will not finish growing and dry down but will mold on the stalk, that will happen if a frost kills the leaves. That has happened to me years ago.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by nella(Pa) nella(Pa) wrote:

Corn Silage is your best choice.
Probably the green undented corn will not finish growing and dry down but will mold on the stalk, that will happen if a frost kills the leaves. That has happened to me years ago.
That is my fear, mold. To Tbone and others, yes planted with a 4 row planter BUT, I made the decision to place varieties (2) in every other hopper, not 2 and 2. We run an F2 with a 430 head. To add insult to injury, the "dented" ears have the girth of a soda can, the undented ears girth is a Johnsonville Brat diameter, How does one set the cylinder clearance for this CryConfusedOuch. Thanks for the replies gentlemen, what a strange season LOL!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 8:24pm
Was over on a HE Forum where photos of ND, SD and N IA were shown, Corn and Soybeans STILL in field under FEET of snow, flooding, Fields so wet cannot get in, SAD SAD Days there.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 2:17pm
In 1992 I combined 400 acres of corn that was all over 40% moisture. It had a very poor test weight either grade 4 or sample grade.  Every one around here had the same.  Some got OK to destroy it and crop insurance aid out some didn't.  We sold all of the crop, took a deduction off the grade 2 price for sure and we spent some money drying it, more than normal years.  This has been a different year here, late planting, cold, wet spring then one dry August!  My corn has certainly black layered and dented.  Neighbors tried some last week was 35% they said, so in a couple weeks when I get started I am just hoping it will be lower.  But nothing I can do about that, it was mother natures choice to give me what I have.  I planted and fertilized to the best of my abilities.

I understand what you are concerned about.  Every year is different, so we just chalk each one up to a learning lesson and do the best we can next year and hope mother nature shines on us in a good favor. 
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:01pm
I was helping some friends chop corn silage for a neighbor today and we moved to another field that was planted late and chopped a couple loads. The corn was so wet and mushy that it would not even go through the bagger. We had to dump the stuff on a pile and they will have to deal with it there. We have had a couple of light frosts that made the tops look dry maybe a little harder frost tonight but not a killing frost yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic