This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

U S Cellular

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U S Cellular
    Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 10:47pm
My dang phone wouldn't work past two days. Took it to the local store, guy picked it up, looked at it, lays it back down, pulled up my phone number. He said I was on a Pre Paid plan. The only people who could help me were in a corporate store. I ask him where they were. He said Indianola or Creston Iowa.I had to go to Menard's and get another cabinet for the Honey processing kitchen. Menard's is a few miles from the Indianola store on the south side of Des Moines. I went to Indianola and found the store closed perminatly. I did go get the cabinet. My dang phone wouldn't work, couldn't google another location in Des Moines. but I did find a store on Army Post Road. Yep, not corporate store. So I head for Creston. About 70 miles one way. Dang store had moved but I found it. Gal looked at the phone for 20 minutes, told me there wasn't anything she could find wrong with it. Worked fine for her. Been working every since. I did ask her where the other corporate stores were located. She said Jordan Creek Mall in west Des Moines. Had the bozo in my home town store told me that, it would have saved me 150+ miles of driving today. I would have been within a mile of it on my way to Menard's in West Des Moines. Rant over, maybe?
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 6:56am
I don't know if you tried, but sometimes just restarting your phone can help when having problems. My phone is about 3 years old and I find that restarting it daily helps.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 7:59am
Would not think that you would need to go to a corporate store just to reload your minutes. I don't think the guy knew what he was doing or didn't want to be bothered. Good help is hard to find. The restart suggestion is a good idea. I have to restart my iPhone 5S every now and then.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 8:47am
thats probably what the girl did... take the battery out, reinstall and REBOOT !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 11:22am
My old Samsung slider querty from tracfone is 3g and TF killed the browser and sending/receiving pics in texts... and killed the gps too back in March.   Now they hound me to buy another fone... They also killed my beloved's TF phone the same way too at the same time and it was less than 3 years old.
  TF said it wasn't up to date as in Verizon compatibility. They are shutting down the CDMA systems and going to Voice Over LTE (VoLTE) technology.
 Guess for me, if they keep the talk and texting of words on my fone, I don't need web browsing or sending pics... They aren't tracking me that way. LOL
   Oh the joys of upgrading technologies to fund the systems.
Hope you get your phone figured out. 
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 11:57am
There was a time when a "Phone was wired to the wall, They were always dependable and we got along just fine when were were out of hearing distance of the bell. It was a big deal when push button phones came out. The rotary dials worked just fine prior to that.
  If we need to go somewhere we looked at a map
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 4:26pm
I remember when you picked up the hand set and waited for a female voice to say number please.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 6:33pm
I remember when I used to pick up the phone and there would be somebody already on it!  Usually the 'ol busybody down the road who was always monopolizing the party line.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 11:52pm
Hubert I stood there and watched her. I should a made it clear that she didn't remove the battery, just pushed buttons on the dang thing. Old gal was after me for several years to get a new phone, it was acting up again today. Gotta head for Menards again tomorrow, probably just stop by the store and pick one up. The phone store in the same mall as Harbor Freight. Might stop in and buy myself a Christmas present there too.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 4:13am
I tell people we had Facebook years ago. It was called "Party Line Phone "!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 7:41am
I've had a Tracfone for years. I just activated the phone and buy a years worth of service, about $100, that comes with 1500 texts and 1500 minutes and a gig or 2 of data. No monthly BS to keep up with. If I need any more of anything I just buy it online and it updates in a few minutes. 
Just upgraded to a Galaxy A11 for $90, not the latest but a new phone and it works a lot better that the J7 I had before. Never have a problem with service but I'm not glued to it either like a lot of people are. 
The first phone I had was a Tracfone for $20 a year. I called it the 'shoe phone' because that's what it looked like. Carried it around in a Walmart bag. Just threw it in the car. Got a call once from my mom when my dad passed and had my youngest with me on the way back from fishing. Keep hearing this 'sound' and asked my boy 'what the hell is that?' Dad it's your phone!  

Never did understand about paying all that money on a GD phone unless of course it's for business reasons. I grew up on a party line and really hit the big time with a dedicated dial phone that my dad could never remember the number and no area code.

Did fine then but had to walk a few times when whatever POS I was driving decided it didn't want to do it anymore. I lived through it with no after effects.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 8:07am
Actually had flip phones until 2012, liked them as were pretty well all I needed.  Then ATT decided flip phones would not be future supported and warranties crap so along with other considerations went to Iphone, been OK, can actually post here when Not in town or near a wifi center to use a laptop.  Been debating whether will keep the phone after further return to retired when wind down the current working job, may not.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:48am
Should be able to do everything on the phone - Straight Talk is the only way to go !!!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Straight Talk is the only way to go !!!

Years ago, I was ready to buy a Straight Talk phone but the lady at the Walmart Wireless store talked me out of it. She asked me how much data we used and recommended Total Wireless instead. (I rarely use more than 2 GB of data per month.) At that time, they were both unlimited talk and text, but Total Wireless had 3 GB of data, compared to 5 GB for Straight Talk (I believe both have been increased since then).

I used the Total Wireless for several years, but none of Walmart's phone companies (TracFone, Straight Talk of Total Wireless) have service in Canada. Since we live 5 miles from the Canadian border, that was a major problem. We are now added to my daughter's (who lives in Canada, but has a US phone) Verizon plan that has unlimited calling in Canada and Mexico and unlimited data.  
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 5:39pm
Yup, make sence in your situation
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:24pm
Well, I'm happy with 'Visible' and their service.  Unlimited everything and it's only $25 per month.  I'm probably going to upgrade one of these days to a 5G phone.  I'm happy with my old 3G one, but like everything else.......they (kind of) force you into a new model one way or the other. https://www.visible.com/
You have to have 4 people to get that $25, so if you're looking for someone to join with, give me a jingle or PM me and I'll send an invite.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 1:47am
Have had Tracfone for quite a few years. $100 a year plus about 7 tax. They sent me a smart phone several years ago at no cost to me. Hated it constant beeping and other noise all the time. Couldn't carry it to the truck in the morning along with all my other stuff without it calling someone or going into a mode I couldn't get out of. Finally broke it, yippee, and wife says she has this flip phone she bought me and I said I didn't want. Must have been some other husband cause it's perfect for me.
Big believer in having a phone for an emergency or a business call but would never waste your time or mine gabbing. Every time I hire some one to do a job they spend half the time talking to other people about what they need with the clock running on my bill.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic