This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Stroke Diesels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Stroke Diesels
    Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 8:03pm
Is hhis HD10 a two stroke diesel? What are the pro's and con's vs. 4 stroke.
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 8:06pm
Yes the HD10 is supposed to be a 2 stroke.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 8:56pm

JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 9:06pm
Thats a destroyeit in that 10. Love the sound of them... hate the oil leaks all over...
 Some start so easy and others are harder than heck to roll smoke.
 Somebody took time to make the HD10 look good.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 9:18pm
There is a blower inside that housing with the big pipe?
The crankshaft center line is just below top of frame rail?
The cylinder liners are dry wet cast in?  Intake ports are
below cooling jacket?
I never got my hands on one, hence all the questions.

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 9:53pm
That should be a 4-71 Detroit, I have had several of those (still have one). They are dependable as the hills usually and yes likely to develop oil leaks with time. They are very loud, you need hearing protection for sure. They should be run at fairly high throttle to prevent a pattern of slobbering oil from the air box drip tubes (no idling for coffee break). I have found mine to be easy on fuel for the work they perform. Service and rebuild costs are very reasonable, parts are plentiful and cheap. The big advantage is that of running without a fuel injection pump, simply a primary pump worth around $100.00. You can put in varying size injectors depending on the power you need. Some may need a sniff of ether for easy start, good cold weather starts with some ether. Any time I see a machine for sale with any 2-cycle Detroit engine I feel like I'm in good hands. You have to however determine what shape the engine is in which is relatively simple. Funny thing is when you ask opinion on these 2-cycle diesels people generally love them or hate them. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 4:26am

Not Allis, but if you're interested in extreme two strokes check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

Some of your Navy blokes met them

http://www.ptfnasty.com/ptfDelticHist1.htm

And a challenge for Detroit lovers to do in minature

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Tomlinson.htm

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:27am
I worked on or around Detroits for most of my mechanic career.  From 53 series to 92's and a few 110's, the old 71 series V and L engines were a mainstay of trucking, heavy equipment and small boats.

Many would not have a clue as to the 'Pencils' used on these old engines for corrosion control that I had to regularly replace, those prior to the water or coolant filters used in the late 20th century and the coolant additives we use today.  I still have my hand vacuum pump and cup for testing wrist pin seals, could not have leakage past them or the engines would hard smoke and build crankcase pressure.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 1:53pm
The ones that `hate` them have no experience or very little experience with them. They are among the best engines ever built. Being still in service nearly 80 years after they first appeared is a hard act to follow for any engine maker
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 2:05pm
A 2 cycle diesel has a advantage over a 4 stroke in it developed power with a turn or so less of the crank . As it has no intake valved but ports in the cylinder to allow the flow of a fresh air charge into engine it also uses this air to scavenge the spent charge out the exhaust valves . 
 The injector system is a simple cam operated plunger system with variable metering . 
One disadvantage is they work best at higher or near peak RPM and not at low or lugging point.  Easy on fuel , easy to work on , long life, and a sweet sound. 
On the bottom of the blower box is a drain hole  be sure it is open to allow any water or oil to drain out and to bleed air to keep everything below well coated in a small amount of vapor - which collects dust and dirt .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 7:41pm
Right on it Coke, have seen many a failed engine brought to me with a pipe plug installed on the air box drains, owners could not stand the dripping that occurred from them and tried to fix the leaks, engines did not last long that way.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 6:01pm
I looks like the injector is powered by a camshaft rocker, the pressure plunger is built into the injector. So no $1000 pump and high pressure lines to injectors required.
And they go for rather modest prices. A cheap to rebuild diesel fuel system.
They must have made millions of them. Pretty clever. I  would assume there was a governor installed somewhere.
Lee (MN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 7:20pm
  To answer the sleeve question, on a 71 series thay are dry. You have without question the toughest engine ever made. As others have said the people that bitc# about them the most have no expierience with them. Hard starting, if thay are either thay have little if no compression and will reqire a sniff of either (but will run) or the rack or govoner is improperly setup. as far as oil leaks thay are no different than any other engine, yes the blowerbox drains drip oil but thay are supposed to.  I have worked around these fine engines for years, I have seen several with a rod hanging out the side and still running like nothing happened,  never seen that with a Cummins or a Cat.

MHO, Lee
B212
Willy's Jeeps
Gleaner K
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2013 at 12:11am
one thing to watch is when tightening the fuel lines is they are easily deformed or crack IF over-tightened. the result will be leaks and thinned oil. in fact they recommend replacing the lines if removed or injectors are replaced

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic