This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo problem
    Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:08pm
Not the right color of yellow but yellow;
I've got a Ford 555B backhoe that had a bad engine.  Put a new one in and finally got it all together today after over 2 years of it being down.  Put the turbo on and pumped some engine oil in it with a squirt can.  When I started it up, it started blubbering oil out the exhaust.  I didn't use the original return line which was 1/2" as it walked off somewhere.  I put a 3/8" line in place and now wonder if it is allowing oil to back up and blow out the seal.  Any thoughts?  At least I got the expired sheep planted that my neighbor called me about on Friday-was getting pretty big, hoped he wouldn't explode as I rolled him into the bucket.  At least that went right...

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:48pm
if you figure out the area of the inside of the pipe  ( pie * radius xx2) , you will find out that the 1/2 inch tube will actually flow almost TWICE as much oil as the 3/8 tube... don't seem like it when you say 3/8 vs 1/2 inch, but doing the AREA inside , you see a BIG difference.. twice the flow is probably Half the back pressure on the seals.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:50pm
and the 3/8 FITTINGS are probably even worse restriction.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:58pm
Rule of thumbs. Double the pipe size and increase flow four times.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 12:30am
Thanks guys, guess I'll replace the line and see if it works ok, learn something new everyday!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:05am
3/8" line will have 1/4(or less) the cross section drain off capability of that 1/2" tube, Will either need to find a tube or step to such as 3/4" id hose to achieve the same results. Cummins changed from hard tube to hose in the 80's, hose was physically three times the outer diameter of the tubes.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 1:44pm
The old tube was 1/2" copper but it is MIA so I used a 3/8" that I had.  May prove to be an expensive mistake if the turbo oil seal has blown out.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

The old tube was 1/2" copper but it is MIA so I used a 3/8" that I had.  May prove to be an expensive mistake if the turbo oil seal has blown out.

Good Luck John.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:01pm
Seals on turbos are finnicky things, Might be surprised to see it not leak soon as get drain oil away from it.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:46pm
get a 1/2"(at least) drain line back on and it should eventually dry up. The seals won't "blow" per say, it just floods the turbo with oil it can't get rid of. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:41am
Personally I would go to a Hydraulic shop, see if they have any 1/2" Hyd Tubing scrap pieces that could be used for this, can bend in a Conduit bender just fine, copper is soft where could get mushed flat and do same thing.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 7:49pm
You guys rock!  I replaced the return line with a piece of 5/8" copper tube along with new fittings and it WORKS!  No oil coming out the exhaust.   Thanks to you all for the advise.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic