This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Truck of the month of may

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Truck of the month of may
    Posted: 01 May 2021 at 3:08am

The truck is aT Line International 2670 made in Australia I think it’s 350HP it is towing what we call a B train with a load of hay for the West Coast . The road from Canterbury to the west Coast is narrow and steep and standard truck and trailer were not allowed through Otira but B trains where . the truck and trailer had to drop there trailer take the truck through Otira pick up a tractor unit and go back for the trailer and reassemble on the other side . Option 2 is to spend a extra 2 hours on the road and go through the Lewis pass but now days the road has been fixed so it’s not a problem anymore.the T Line International was a common site on New Zealand roads in the 1980 - 1990 but sadly they were bad for rusting in the cab and not many are left
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
Sponsored Links

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:07am
     Thanks for the "truck of the month" picture and explanation of its use. That trip sounds like a rough one to drive. Was the restriction of the second trailer due to sharp curves, steep grades or??

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:14am
In the US back in the day those were call "C" cabs or Cargostar units.  Cabs here were notably smaller front to back.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:09am
Thanks Kiwi. First time for me to see a b train, so I watched on one operate on YouTube to understand it. The front trailer’s rear frame & wheels are extended enough rearward to become a kingpin hookup for last trailer. So both trailers are fifth wheel - No pintle hitches

Edited by AC7060IL - 01 May 2021 at 8:09am
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:42pm
Yes ac hunter it was because of the second trailer on the sharp bends but now that part of the road has been replaced by a viaduct. Some trucks would seek through at night and turn their lights off to see if anyone was coming the other way on the bends
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:17pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 1:14am
Can't see front license plate Kiwi, but I drove one exactly the same from Freightliner dealers Christchurch to Thames to join my brother's fleet of 'Cornbinders' many years ago. A trade-in from Frews fleet.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 10:32pm
That looks like a close pivot in between the trailers.  Must never turn very sharp corners?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 9:35am
probably has a 20in kingpin
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 3:26pm
The gap between trailers is just enough for full jacknife clearance although is doesn't look like it. They use standard fifth wheels with 2" kingpin so you can pull just the rear trailer with the tractor if you want to.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 3:38pm
They use a LOT of them 'B-trains' in BC. TV program 'Highway through Hell' always has 2-3 of them, splattered all over thee highways, down the mtn slopes. They probably haul a milllion bucks worht of 2by4s on them today.....HUGE weighty, loads....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 6:55pm
Fifth wheel Pin Position brought back a Haunting Memory.  WAY Back when as PIE Freight was running triples out of SLC Yard, they opted to 12v71 series Detroit Diesels in NON Sleeper K100 Kenworth Cabovers, Engine Mounted Air Brake compressor hung off the rear accessory drive mount out in the Open. And imagine that the first rigs to try to leave the yard make a hard Right Turn where that compressor is hanging and "POP" Trailer nose knocks it Right OFF!!

Old trucks drug out of dead lines, three sets reconfigured and sent on their way, too full weeks to repair the carnage and remount ALL the new truck fifth wheels ten Inches further back.  According to drivers ran like the wind yet drove like crap as steer was too light.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:40am
mactractor there is a good chance this is the some truck you drove to Thames as Frew's transport only had 1or2 T line inters 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 2:53am
Thumbs Up
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 11:55pm
Truck of the month July MC Mack with 4 axle trailer and stock crates 2 deck cattle 4 deck sheep . The trailer had a sliding drawer bar so when loading you can open the doors on the front of the trailer and butt the truck up to the trailer and load the whole unit front to back.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 6:02pm
That truck looks quite a bit like my old 4070A. If they lasted like they did they're a pretty good rig.          Leon
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 7:51pm
[QUOTE=jaybmiller]They use a LOT of them 'B-trains' in BC. TV program 'Highway through Hell' always has 2-3 of them, splattered all over thee highways, down the mtn slopes. They probably haul a milllion bucks worht of 2by4s on them today.....HUGE weighty, loads....

Lots of them here in Ont. Jay. Lumber guys use them. One outfit here in Barrie has mostly “B” trains. Kelsey Trails - they were just bought by Bison. Fuel guys use them lots as well. Dealership where I worked sold most of the “B” trains to Kelsey. My buddy and I picked them up from di-Mond at Stoney Creek and dropped off at Kelsey yard. 😀
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:05pm
I drove one of those set ups, but for fuel. 4300 gal tank mounted on tandem axle truck, pulling 5500 gal ‘pup trailer’. Although in Texas, was limited to 80,000 lbs., in NM I could top out at 92,000 lbs. very seldom loaded that heavy from the Artesia refinery, and unless I had delivery’s before crossing back into Texas.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:35pm
Pup trailer is different Lars. B trains have 2   5th wheels. Goes down the road perfectly straight. No wig wag. Goes around corner better than 53 ft van or flat deck trailer. Our “B” trains here in Ontario are good for just under 145,000 lbs GVW.

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 29 Jul 2021 at 9:39pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 6:22am
Ed, you are correct. The last pic looks like a box mounted on a truck, pulling a three axle trailer(thats what it appears to be, using my phone). I preferred using a ‘truck & trailer’ vs using a ‘tractor & trailer’. In the States, a Class A was all you needed. Now if you were gonna have a truck and two trailers, you needed the ‘doubles’ endorsement.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:26am
We also use the straight truck and wagon(pup) combo here as well. Mostly by the gravel haulers. They use a 4 axle truck with dump box hooked to a long tongue wagon that has 3 axles and hooked via pintle hook. Very impressive unit’s especially when equipped with aluminum boxes and wheels!  This combo also gives them the max weight same as B trains of around 145,000 lbs.

Edited by Ed (Ont) - 30 Jul 2021 at 7:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic