This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treadmill motor on a drillpress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treadmill motor on a drillpress
    Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 4:54am
Anybody here done it? How complicated is the wiring? I can mount the motor and pulleys but I’m a bit curious on the speed controller. Do I need anything separate from the treadmill?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 6:04am
'funny' you should ask...as I'm going to 'acquire' a few for projects..
#1 wood lathe
#2 thickness sander
The concept is easy, just bodge the motor onto 'device', mount the 'control' box, plug in and go.
My understanding is they are probably 3 phase,2HP 90Volt DC motors, so super smooth.
Odds are the shaft is 'Metric 5/8 or 3/4.'
 I've got over 100 live edge 16" wide, 1" thk serving trays to  deal with and there is NO way I'm running a sander over each one for an hour ! so I'll fab up the sander station. Going to use the 'treadmill' as the infeed-outfeed tables with adjustable speed. The actual sanding drum will be a separate motor.
Guy next door has a wood lathe with 8' bed neding a motor/speed controller. The 3 phase unit that was on it did work on single phase but, well, needed to be 'borrowed' for another task...
Nice thing about the treadmills is the 'screen' to display a 'speed'. Once you've calibrated it a handy chart pasted next to it makes life easy.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 8:13am
use an old treadmill, the faster ya walk/run the faster the drill press will go! Les tolds me you needed the exercise!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 8:27am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

use an old treadmill, the faster ya walk/run the faster the drill press will go! Les tolds me you needed the exercise!

But but but I want a drillpress like me!!! Slow And easy to control.LOL
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 3:27pm
Also Thad make it say yes dear for your wife.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:41am
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Also Thad make it say yes dear for your wife.

Yes sir
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:32pm
Thing is that with most motors that when the speed goes down so does the power output. On a drill press the when you need it to turn slow it needs more power.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 2:56am
The treadmill motor's control system is built-for-purpose for the treadmill, typically the control circuitry has safeties and stuff, and it ramps up and down slow, and despite their ratings... they generally don't pull a heavy load for much. 

Best way to run them, is to use a controller like the Minarik MC-1.

i did... and it worked... but the downside, is that they're not particularly stable when drilling... they will bog a fair amount.

What I did, was fitted a 3-phase motor and a Variable Frequency Drive to it.  I used a unit that someone pulled off an industrial machine, and I found a pallet of used Allen Bradley 1305 240v 1.5hp drives for cheap ($25 each), fed 'em single-phase.  Most of my machine tools are running 3phase motors on VFDs fed with single phase, and they're all plenty strong.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 4:09am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

The treadmill motor's control system is built-for-purpose for the treadmill, typically the control circuitry has safeties and stuff, and it ramps up and down slow, and despite their ratings... they generally don't pull a heavy load for much. 

Best way to run them, is to use a controller like the Minarik MC-1.

i did... and it worked... but the downside, is that they're not particularly stable when drilling... they will bog a fair amount.

What I did, was fitted a 3-phase motor and a Variable Frequency Drive to it.  I used a unit that someone pulled off an industrial machine, and I found a pallet of used Allen Bradley 1305 240v 1.5hp drives for cheap ($25 each), fed 'em single-phase.  Most of my machine tools are running 3phase motors on VFDs fed with single phase, and they're all plenty strong.

Thanks for the reply. I already have a real 1 go motor I think I’ll put on my drillpress. Now I just need to build or find a center pulley.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 6:24am
gee Dave, you sound like my friend ! He 'acquired' a skid of stuff...used a 3phase controller on his single phase motor for his milling machine. sure is smooth. Did a similar setup for a wood lathe that spins 8' long columns.
I tore  a 20 year old treadmill apart and it has a Leeson 1.5HP, 90 volt DC motor. Used an A-B 1365 controller and well it spins ! ,though some tweaking is required.
be nice to score some 'economical' controllers though..I just 'found' TWO 1hp DC motors with 40:1 gearboxes on them. course it'd help if I had a use for them but yeesh BRAND NEW, tossed out... they HAD to come home....

Jay

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:24am
You should mention that not just any 3 phase motor and VFD will work... You only have 240 v single phase at most supplies... The motor has to be a 208-240 V and not a 480 v unit I believe......... then the VFD is also a phase converter as it is taking single phase and converting to 3 phase power... Some just vary the FREQUENCY ... maybe some also convert the 240v input to 480v output, but that would be a " special VFD" also.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

You should mention that not just any 3 phase motor and VFD will work... You only have 240 v single phase at most supplies... The motor has to be a 208-240 V and not a 480 v unit I believe......... then the VFD is also a phase converter as it is taking single phase and converting to 3 phase power... Some just vary the FREQUENCY ... maybe some also convert the 240v input to 480v output, but that would be a " special VFD" also.

No, Steve...  there's some things to look out for, but it's not that restrictive... one simply needs to apply practical concepts.

Let's say you have a 5hp 380v spindle motor in a Maho MH600E CNC milling machine... and a 240v single-phase panel.  The solution, is to feed the 240v single-phase into a 7kva dry transformer (salvage yard, $20) from the SECONDARY side.  Connect the transformer's PRIMARY side for 480v, and connect the two phase leads to A and C of an Allen-Bradley 1336S 10hp 480v VFD (Ebay $60) and program the VFD's MOTOR parameters for 400v or so.  In my case, I set the MH600 for 120HZ as highest frequency and left it at that... because the MH600E has a hydraulically-shifted gearbox integrated into the CNC controls.

On my Monarch 10EE lathe, I removed the Reliance Ward-Leonard MG drive, and replaced it with same arrangement, with a 10KVA transformer feeding a first-gen Allen-Bradley 1336F (brand new in box, but 30 years old... $43 from an industrial surplus place in Uclid, Ohio) driving an 1800rpm Allis-Chalmers 7hp 3-phase motor wired for 480.  I fitted the spindle and motor shaft with a Gates Polychain toothed-belt drive, and programmed the VFD for 0 to 210hz or so...  oh, and I yanked the motor's cooling fan, chopped the stub off the shaft and mounted a 6" 240v cooling fan under it's shroud powered direct from the mains contactor, so it's always got steady cooling flow regardless of shaft speed.  The motor spins at 1800/60*210=6300rpm, into that 3:1 belt drive, for 2100rpm at the spindle, and it's BEASTLY strong.

My Johannsen radial drill is fitted with a Bridgeport 2J head that's driven by a 3hp 240v 3ph motor sourced from a junkyard that I USED to be able to trade steel scrap drops pound-for-pound for motors, gearboxes, and such... (they're gone now... snif)...  It uses the AB1305  AA12A drive, direct fed 240 single phase in.  My Bridgeport mill uses same setup, but I just took the standard Bridgeport pancake motor's leads from the switch, and connected them to the VFD, added a braking resistor, and called it good.  I leave the head in the middle belt position for most milling.  Every SO often I'll need to shift it into backgear, but most of the time, I just use the VFD knob.  The pancake motor still runs it's factory cooling fan.  When I wrap up the speed (IIRC limited around 130hz) it howls pretty good, but I've never had overheat-at-low-speed problems.

The 1308 series is actually factory identified as being useable on single phase input, and derating is noted where necessary.  The 1336 series has a DC bus input, so if a person WANTS to run single-phase, just use a single-phase rectifier bridge off the 240v mains to feed the VFD, and it's fine.  I don't... since I'm cheap, I just buy 'em surplus, and buy 'em about 30% larger, and that solves it.

There are SOME drives (particularly those built after around 1995 or so) that have Phase Loss Detection.  IIRC Yaskawa, Mitsubishi, and Siemens had that feature... and MOST of the time, one could disable it in software.  SOME would automatically de-rate themselves when in disabled mode.  There's a few that simply WON'T tolerate phase loss faults... when that happens, put about a 2uF capacitor and a 1.5k resistor in series between either leg and the 'missing' phase, and it'll usually shut up and play nice.

Edited by DaveKamp - 01 Jan 2019 at 8:58pm
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

gee Dave, you sound like my friend ! He 'acquired' a skid of stuff...used a 3phase controller on his single phase motor for his milling machine. sure is smooth. Did a similar setup for a wood lathe that spins 8' long columns.
I tore  a 20 year old treadmill apart and it has a Leeson 1.5HP, 90 volt DC motor. Used an A-B 1365 controller and well it spins ! ,though some tweaking is required.
be nice to score some 'economical' controllers though..I just 'found' TWO 1hp DC motors with 40:1 gearboxes on them. course it'd help if I had a use for them but yeesh BRAND NEW, tossed out... they HAD to come home....

Jay

That's a great score, Jay... are they 90v motors, or lower?  If you really, really, really needed to... you could make a self-propelled electric shop-lift... one motor on each side, with full differential steering... a short boom with hook for lifting and toting engines, transmissions, stuff like that... with a trio of truck batteries on a platform 'tween your feet, handlebars in front'a ya, two space-saver spares as your main drives, and two ZTR casters in the back...
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 9:23pm
I use a tredmill motor to run my small atlas lathe.
 I used the tredmill controller to  vary the speed.
 It has a special safety feature that no other lathe I've ever seen has,.. clip the string to your belt and if you fall down while operating your lathe; it stops the motor.ClapLOL
 I think it will become the standard,.. once OSHA hears of it, ha.

Like mentioned it doesn't have alot of power on the low end. I am using drill  press pullys, 4-stacked, and it should still be geared better. To let the motor run faster while the lathe goes slower.
 The lathe won't pull it down like a drill press but there is lots of top end power you can use if you lower the RPMs with pullys.

On a side note, I made a peddle powered generator using a tredmill motor too.
 It puts out wild DC. Faster you peddle the higher the voltage.
 The Osterizer blender's universal motor loves wild DC. Well the motor loves it, the switch contacts,.. not so much. Faster you peddle, faster it blends/liquifies .
 Peddle, peddle, peddle get your speed up then hit the switch. Will the switch vaporize this time or weld itself on??? Had to make a homemade switch using smashed  copper tubing.
 Wild DC also works with the wall cubes,.. the little boxes plugged into the wall that you charge your phone with. They aren't made with transformers anymore, they are switching power supplies and handle wild DC very well.  The folks that taught me this had someone peddling 250 volts DC into a portable DVD player and it worked just fine.
 A 26" bike rim running a J6 belt to the tiny stock tredmill motor pully. That gets the high RPM needed to make the big volts.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:00pm
 Boy,,I'll tell you,,I ENVY the heck out of you guys that know your way around juicetricity,,,especially that Dave Kamp,,,,Clap I'm amazed at all them 10 dollar words you guys throw around,,,and,,,you do know what you talkin bout,,,,ClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:14pm
Dang Dave........... you got me there.... I worked at a factory that was 90% 480 volt equip. We used the VFD with 480v inlet and 480 v outlet and variable freq to get variable speed without a gear box.......... Then we had a few small transformers from 480 v down to 240 v for lights and plugs....... I NEVER thought of using the transformer  to step up 240 v to 480 v to use as input to a 480 V VFD.... I will have to look if the SINGLE PHASE 480V would feed our old 3 phase out 480V unit ??

Im thinking my OLD VFD were just frequency drives... and your talking an INVERTER/ frequency drive. 

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Jan 2019 at 10:24pm
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 10:16pm
I am wonder what the
Volunteer
Fire
Department
has to do with all this............
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 2:41am
where there is smoke...there's....
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 7:10am

I NEVER thought of using the transformer  to step up 240 v to 480 v to use as input to a 480 V VFD.... I will have to look if the SINGLE PHASE 480V would feed our old 3 phase out 480V unit ??

Im thinking my OLD VFD were just frequency drives... and your talking an INVERTER/ frequency drive. 

Hi Steve!

Variable Frequency Drives do what they do... by converting AC line current to DC, which is fed into three inverter bridges controlled by a microprocessor that synthesizes AC... at 120 degree intervals... for three phase.  They're great gadgets in many ways, and that's one of 'em.

Yeah, if you have industrial machine tools that need some sort of three phase to operate, a second-hand VFD will do the task.  They're designed to be connected directly to a motor, and to set them up, you program them with THAT motor's voltage, frequency, and ampere ratings, and it will regulate it's output so as to not fry the motor.

Since they're rectifying the incoming AC power into DC, it doesn't really matter HOW it gets it's incoming power... the only gotcha, is that if you try to feed a 5hp motor with a 5hp VFD, but you're only feeding two of the three legs, the diodes in that rectifier bridge are loaded a bit hard on account that one of the legs is not carrying load- it's all on the other two.  The most common solution for this, is to oversize the VFD by 30% or so.

The other problem guys run into, is that they want to drive a 1hp or 2hp 3-phase motor, but when they go searching, they look for units in that size range that are rated for single-phase input, and the marketing types at big companies KNOW this, so they advertise units for single-phase in, and put a HIGH price tag on them.  Skip that!!!

If you have a surplus machine tool, the motor will USUALLY have choice of low (208-230) or high (430-480) voltage operation.  Likewise, you'll see that a used 480v VFD is substantially cheaper than a 230v unit... and you'll also see that a 5hp, 7hp, or 10hp VFD is much cheaper than a 1hp to 4hp unit...  and that's because of two factors-  first, people want the low voltage, 2hp unit, and second, industry tends to use many more 5-10hp 480v units.

Find surplus single-phase dry transformers... if it can be wired for 480 in, and 240 out, and carries anywhere from 1.5kva up to 10kva, snag it.  Wire them for 240 on the secondary, and 480v on the primary.  Hook the secondary to your line supply, and you'll have 480v single-phase on the secondary.  From there, you can feed the VFD... and the big advantage is, that since you're at 480, the motor current will be HALF what it'd be at 240... that input bridge (running only two legs) will be seeing substantially lower current.

Works great! Wink
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 7:25am
The reason a 230v VFD is more expensive than a 460v VFD (same HP rating) is because it is handling twice the current.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 9:00am
...and...
more guys got 230 than 480 in their workshops !!
my 'life' would be simpler with 3phase here but $$$ to bring into building!

Jay

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Boy,,I'll tell you,,I ENVY the heck out of you guys that know your way around juicetricity,,,especially that Dave Kamp,,,,Clap I'm amazed at all them 10 dollar words you guys throw around,,,and,,,you do know what you talkin bout,,,,ClapClap

No joke. Lol By the time they’re done with my 1936 Atlas drillpress itl mix margaritas, fry bacon and have 200 channels including the sports package.👍
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

The reason a 230v VFD is more expensive than a 460v VFD (same HP rating) is because it is handling twice the current.
that seems to be the best explanation, currently
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 10:10pm
OK DAVE....

Since they're rectifying the incoming AC power into DC, it doesn't really matter HOW it gets it's incoming power... the only gotcha, is that if you try to feed a 5hp motor with a 5hp VFD, but you're only feeding two of the three legs, the diodes in that rectifier bridge are loaded a bit hard on account that one of the legs is not carrying load- it's all on the other two.  The most common solution for this, is to oversize the VFD by 30% or so.
 ----------------------
SO if you put 3  phase 480 v into the  VFD, you get 3 phase out and have "speed control box".......... and if you put single phase 480 volts into the VFD , it "simulates" a 3 phase output for the  motor ?

I took a 208 V 3 phase motor  ( about 20 years ago) and ran 240v single phase into it, with a series of START capacitors and a series of RUN capacitors and a manual button I hold in for 2 seconds on the START circuit..... it " simulates" 3 phase output determined by the capacitors I used ........ and like you said, I get 2 HP out of a 3 HP motor... the VFD sounds like a newer version and programmable !!

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 Jan 2019 at 10:11pm
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 10:37pm

OK DAVE....

----------------------
SO if you put 3  phase 480 v into the  VFD, you get 3 phase out and have "speed control box".......... and if you put single phase 480 volts into the VFD , it "simulates" a 3 phase output for the  motor ?

I took a 208 V 3 phase motor  ( about 20 years ago) and ran 240v single phase into it, with a series of START capacitors and a series of RUN capacitors and a manual button I hold in for 2 seconds on the START circuit..... it " simulates" 3 phase output determined by the capacitors I used ........ and like you said, I get 2 HP out of a 3 HP motor... the VFD sounds like a newer version and programmable !!

the neighbor man does something similar to run his lathe, except he has a small electric motor in series with one leg of single phase which is the feed to one of the inputs to the three phase motor. At least I think that is what he is doing
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:41pm
Look up pulse width modulation.
 Maybe an Arduino can control it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 6:19am
lou and steve's way is called 'phase convertor'. it generates the 3rd phase allowing you to run 3 phase motor on house 240 AC ( which is 2 phase ). Both are 'lossy' systems whereas VFD units are highly efficent.

wide's Ardunio approach can work and easy to control low voltage motors. Some easy, off-the-shelf ways are 'E-scooter/ E-bike' electronics and 'Drone ESC' units. E-bikes can have 72 volt battery power and they run 3 phase motors. Drones Electronic Speed Controls(ESC) are all 3 phase units as well. The problem is the design/build of the power supplies(PSU) and the less than 240V rated controllers. While the PSU design is fairly easy, you'll blowup the ESC if you attach it to over the 72 volts it's designed for.
There's a few utubes of guys using Delco alternators as motors using  ESC units. Very simple and safe, using 12 or 24 volts.ESC is a $20 item, PSU maybe $30 .
For 'normal' folk, I'd suggest a proper VFD. A LOT safer, works out of the box !
course now that I've typed all this I'm thinking I should grab an old alternator and see how many HP I can get out of it !
Jay

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by TramwayGuy TramwayGuy wrote:

More a circumstance of supply and demand...  480v units are more common in industrial environments, and 230v units are in much,  much higher demand by guys who need to run industrial tools in a home garage. Wink
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 9:50pm

Essentially, yes.  It's a 3-phase inverter bridge made up of thyristors... solid state switches... and they're being pulsed on and off, in 1-2-3 sequence. by the microprocessor.

The microprocessor can run that inverter bridge at any frequency.  It can modulate the 'on' time, to increase voltage and current through the motor windings.  It can measure the voltage and current, and LIMIT either or both, according to the motor's capabilities.  It can change the speed at a controlled rate, to accellerate smoothly.... and it can switch the thyristors in a reversing pattern to rapidly slow the motor, and change direction... and a variety of other groovie things... all programming.

That is called a Rotary Phase Converter, and it's the basis of a very popular design first published by Fitch Williams.  I've built several... I recently traded my latest all-automatic unit for an engine... LOL    Here's my post from Smokstak back in 2014:

-------------------
Fitch Williams is the properly-attributed publisher... his rotary converter white paper explained it all several decades ago.

One can make a rotary converter out of a knife switch, a three-phase motor, and a piece of rope (wrap and pull, throw switch). Anything beyond that, is strictly luxury.

I built my self-starting converter using Fitch's white paper as guidance for run and start-cap values, then I added protection breaker, input, start cap, and output control contactors, detection of generated leg output voltage a timer circuit (to detect overrun of the start cap control), and finally, a 'fault-out' loop that would stop the converter, and not allow it to automatically restart, if there was some failure condition.

The basic system, however, is Fitch Williams.Salute

Here's the 'republished' and simplified description from 1998:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ctions-101882/

I believe Fitch passed away about three years ago... a really great guy.
----------------------------------
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:16pm
Thanks Dave for the schooling.......... I thought I was "familiar" with VFDs, but that was from an EXTERNAL operators point of view...... Didn't really know what was  going on INSIDE the unit....... Your description helps fill in a lot of blanks !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic