This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yochujr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer suggestions
    Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:34am
Anyone have any suggestions on trailer size/specs for me and what I will probably need to spend?  I have a 1/2 ton truck and am planning on hauling the tractor Allis B, four wheelers, firewood, and other miscellaneous items.  I was thinking maybe a 16' tandem axle (with brakes on at least one axle but preferably both) with a wood floor but not sure about the what kind of weight it will need to be rated for.  It will spend most of it's time on the highway but also need to get back into fields on occasion for firewood.  
Sponsored Links

Matt (Jordan,MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (Jordan,MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:11pm
 I think you should be able to get by with a 10,000 lb trailer. Where i used to work we sold many of these and most were pulled with 1/2 ton trucks. They hauled your smaller skidloaders with ease. I prefer Tow Master trailers as they are built quite heavy.The only thing they have that i don't care for is they use torision axles instead of leaf springs. The bushings in thse axles wear out and then you have to replace the complete axle. The only other thing Towmaster is quite expensive. If you get a trailer with leaf springs in it i would strongly reccomend getting on that has the channel iron from the hitch tongue welded to the front spring shackle. Many trailer manufacures end the hitch about 6 to i8 inches away from the front spring shackle and i have seen many trailers with broken or cracked frames in that spot. This is due to rough roads with a load on and takeing corners which puts a lot of stress on the frame.     Hope this helps   Matt    
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:50pm
A 7000 lbs car hauler will easily haul a B. I made side boards for mine so I can haul firewood and don't have to stack it to get a load on. If you max out a trailer with 3500 lb axles, you will have all you want behind most 1/2 ton trucks. Don't buy one with brakes on one axle. I have one and have heard it isn't legal anymore.
 Thinking ahead, you might want a little heavier load rating. It seems a trailer can't be too big after your second or third tractor. Charlie

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
yochujr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yochujr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:54pm
Thanks for the input guys, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 1:28pm
I would have to agree with the previous reply as to 7,000-10,000 lb rated trailer COMPLETE WITH AXLE BRAKES.  The only thing that I would strongly add is that you seriously look at a GOOSENECK type trailer. 

In regards to having adequate truck handling, "the trailer should not wag the truck" (meaning... the tail should not wag the dog).  The reese hitch trailers are fine IF the trailer weight is properly distributed ENABLING for adequate truck handling while loaded.  The problem begins when you start to pile on extra stuff (we all do it) so we can just get it home.  A gooseneck design offers a safer approach inthat it loads the truck just in front of the rear drive axle.  This offers the truck an greatly improved handling characteristic of both itself & the towed trailer.

So, a 1/2 ton pickup coupled with a lowpro 16' gooseneck equipped with 2 5000 lb electric brake axles should be a good combo.

Here a few links I found on the internet that interest you?
 http://www.econolinetrailers.com/TrailerSpecSheet.asp?TrailerID=114  I don't know anything about this line of trailers
I think the corn pro trailers are very well built.  The 14,000 gooseneck you see at this link above would be a great combo for a 3/4 ton truck, but too much for a 1/2 ton.  I wonder if they would add a gooseneck to one of their medium duty trailers like this one: http://www.cornprotrailers.com/UtilityStandard.html  It has a lower profile but still has 15 or 16" tires for less hassle for tire purchases.
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:09pm
Eric they do make a goose neck version of the third link you posted, a buddy of mine has one. His is 12000lb and pulls like a dream. I have 2 Cornpros and a Hurst. (20+5 20K, 25+5 20K and 16+5 14K) Those would be too heavy for a 1/2 ton truck, but I wouldnt trade a Cornpro trailer for anything. They are well built, nice pulling trailers. There not the cheapest on the market but they will take bout anything you can throw at them. (within reason)
yochujr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yochujr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 3:59pm
I'm not sure I need anything quite as big as a gooseneck (or that expensive) since I am on a bit of a budget.  I will agree that the cornpros are very nice.  I neighbor has a 16+2 14k I believe that he uses to pull his bobcat behind his duramax and they are definitely very well built.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 5:34pm
Whatever you decide be sure to add BACKUP lights on the trialer !! I've yet to see any commercial units that have them. Darn silly and stupid.Less than $20 parts makes a WORLD of difference trying to backup a loaded trailer , at night, in the country.Trailer blocks the trucks backup lights.Since you're going to have ebrakes, you'll be a 7pin setup.Adding backup lights on a smaller, 4 pin trailer was 'impossible' but I did it this summer,without any wiring changes.It always gets dark at night, darker when you have a trailer !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 7:42pm
I haul a WD45 on my 16' 7000lb car trailer. the 3500 lb axles allow a lower deck height, lower trailer are easy to load and les wind resistance. mine also has brake on only one axle. it was the industry standard when I got it. I also tow a 10000 lb 16 ft trailer the trailer weights about 300 lbs more and sits about 8 inches higher. empty no differance loaded I like the lighter trailer better. 10000 is a heavy load for a half ton. no matter what you get make sure the brakes are good and you have enough tiedown locations.
yochujr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yochujr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 8:00pm
Thanks, also great information to have.  After all the input, I think I'll be looking into a 7000 lb. since I would like to keep it as light as I can and still be a good solid trailer.  It sounds like that should work fine for my needs.

Thanks again to all for the great feedback.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic