This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tractor sounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tractor sounds
    Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 8:19am
After reading Dave IL's last post about being addicted to the sound of a gas D17, has the unique sounds made by any particular model had any real infulence on collecting? Now that I think about it I can remember like it was yesterday the sounds from my uncle's WD45 that he always hand cranked to start, a series 4 D17 that needed a new muffler, a D19 that needed ether to start in the summer, and a 730 JD diesel that he always coasted down hill to start.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Sponsored Links

Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 8:26am
Brian, I think most of us that grew up with a WD45 gas own one or would like to own one now. The sound of a WD45 plowing and the double report when it's idled back from full throttle has been a topic of discussion here many times. By the way, the sounds we recall and like about the 45 can only be had if equipped with an original Nelson muffler.
David Gibson (OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gibson (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 9:49am

My Uncles WD45 is what I learned on and that was what I wanted in my collection since the get go.

David Gibson
http://www.darkecountysteam.com
1956 WD45
DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 9:57am
Still remember Bob Vanderploegs D 21 tractor pulling with the 7080 motor in it cranked to about 225 plus hp through that straight pipe. Man that was awesome. Next is (Im sorry 2 JD tractors) Another tractor puller named Wally Tinbrink from BC would pull his 4440  tractor and a straight pipe. When he would slow down and drop a gear  and keep on pulling. Next is our neighbors Big 9400 deere just has a cool sound slowing down tuning into the driveway and leaving(Next to a potato farm). Also when he has the 5 bottom rollover going through the field and making that thing work.

Good topic.

Take care, Darryl
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
E7018 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E7018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 10:03am
When I hear a 6 cylinder engine with a long 2 inch water pipe as exhaust, I think " that is my neighbor going to a shelling job" at 6:30 in the morning.
That is close to 50 years ago.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 10:46am

Like a lot of people on this board I grew up on a farm and the first tractor I got to run was a WD45. I was 8 and we were spraying fence rows, Dad was walking and using a hand gun and I was allowed to move the tractor and pull type sprayer ahead with the hand clutch to keep up with him. She was running just over an idle to keep  the pump pressure up. I was so happy and excited, it's a memory I'll never forget. I eventually spent hours on that tractor mowing, raking and hauling hay, as well as loader chores and 100's of misc other jobs.

Eventually I got to run the bigger tractors and my personal favorite is the series IV D17 even over the 190XT's and 7060's and others.

I still love rolling down the road in high gear and pulling the throttle back for the driveway and listening to the pop pop pop that those little 4 cylinders make, and the song they sing on a hard pull with those snappy goveners just makes me grin ear to ear.

Edited by Dave in il - 26 Dec 2010 at 10:49am
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 11:06am
Did not get there often, but hearing my grandpa's 185 fire up in the morning was always exciting for me!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 11:48am
This video should wet your appetite.

6 minutes of a number of antique tractors - all plowing one behind the other.

Unfortunately there is only one Allis in the whole line up ( WD-45 ) and you can't hear it because of the 2 cyl. JD coming up behind.  Bummer

Gary

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 11:55am
Here's one - WD-45 plowing

Gary

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic