This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor Moving Trailer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor Moving Trailer
    Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 6:44pm
Hey everyone just been pondering an idea here and curious if anyone has anything like it. I've been doing more and more hay that is farther from home and the old allis tractors just aren't the quickest machines around. I was thinking if I had a trailer with tandem axles that would be just long enough for the tractor to be fully on the trailer but leave the back of the tractor right towards the end so the baler or rake could be left on the ground to trail behind it could be towed down the road with a pickup around 30mph. Which is double what any of my tractors will do (d14, d17 and 190xt.). I used to have a wc narrow front that was perfect for raking with because I had a little two wheel cart that would carry the front of the tractor and everything else just trailed behind. I really liked having the pickup at each field so if something broke I could just take the truck and go home for parts and tools. If anyone has something they use I'd love to see it.
Sponsored Links

bakwoodsfarm View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakwoodsfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:23pm
I made hay for 15 years like that, made my own trailer. I think it was about 15' long and 7 1/2' wide with tandem mobile home axles at the rear of the trailer. Just chained the front of tractor and went down the road pulling the baler or rake. Only problem was not enough weight on the truck, could get stuck pretty easy on gravel. Like having a trailer for a sprayer, once you use it you'll never not have one.
gerkendave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:35pm
Thank you! May I ask if you did any kind of suspension or just solid? I'm guessing at that speed solid would be fine and would keep the trailer lower to the ground.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 9:23pm
Why not get a car dolly or whatever they are called. Drive your WFE oni it , tie down and take off. We use to pull a WD 45 between farms with a home made tow bar hitch. I'd guess at 30 mph. Te furthest were 19 miles apart. Never added balers, etc. to the back too. Just had more equipment at those farms or planned ahead and used the pickup ahead of need.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:02pm
Why not just put a hitch on the back of trailer?       MACK
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:18pm
I thought about the car dolly just didn't know if it would be heavy enough for say the 190. And unfortunately Mack I don't have a good big trailer of my own to haul the tractors yet. I have to borrow the farms or my father in laws, and I was trying to get as compact as possible as done of these are small fields without much parking area
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:58am
Make sure at least one axle on the trailer has brakes!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:15am

Pulling anything any where any  distance  with out good hitch weight or big enough truck is asking for a accident .

He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:35am
My tuck is plenty big and thats why I'm thinking if the axles were nearly at the far end of the trailer the entire front end of the tractor would be supported with the pickup.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:43am
IMO, you'd best tow equipment to site, then go back and get the trailer and tractor. 
 You would be better off to use a dolly if you want to tow something behind the tractor.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 11:00am
Do you think a car dolly is stout enough to move a tractor around safely?
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 11:11am
Any thing hooked to the back of your truck must meet DOT requirements. Brakes if over 3000 lbs not more than 8'6" wide and proper lights. and single unit unless you state allows multi unit trailering.  Best to just drive it. We drive 20 miles it only takes an hour and 20 minutes at 15 MPH. it takes longer than that to properly load and secure a load. put a hitch on the back of your equipment and tow the truck behind. you can then leave the tractor and equipment behind. just slap t SMV sign on the towed truck.  remember to take the sign off when you unhook.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 11:14am
and no a car dolly isn't heavy enough for a 190. a 190 is twice the weight of a car dolly tow rating. you'd still have tractor tires on the road and be speed limited by them.
Bradleytrench View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradleytrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 6:53pm

Problem solved. Spend $65000 for a tractor with a 2 line wet kit, $90,000 for a trailer. Oversize permit $27. Commercial insurance $24000 per year. Usdot #. You can haul anything you want. Pulling a bumper hitch trailer weighting 4200 lbs with a 3/4 or 1 ton with a tractor weighting in around 8000lbs tied down with a 8000lbs baler hooked to tractor is a USDOT inspectors steak dinner.

First off you cant pull double trailers "bumper hitch trailer with a baler behind it not even attached to trailer" on a ball.

2nd off you dont have a brake on your back trailer "baler." Or proper break away brake.

Call your insurance company and ask them if they will insure such a mess if you are involved in a wreck? That should answer your question right there

Edited by Bradleytrench - 21 Jun 2019 at 7:00pm
1 WD45D, 1 A2 GLEANER, Wd w 33mounted corn picker
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 7:57pm
Yep, insurance. We won't even have a hayride at the farm.
What a shame.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 6:44pm
What you are thinking of doing may sound like a good idea (to you), but I'm sure a law enforcement officer will surely convince you that it is not such a great idea.   You will endangering everyone on your route of travel by having a tractor that is not secured to the trailer correctly and towing implements without brakes behind a trailer.

I just hope you don't hurt or kill someone before they stop you!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 6:58pm
You don't say what distance or type of roads but I'm assuming short hauls and country roads ?
I don't have a technical problem with using a car dolly to tow the tractor which is hauling the baler PROVIDING the baler has a safety chain attached to the tractor AND some 4way flashing lights. I've hauled a D-14 on a car dolly, zero problems, again I did have 4ways on it. This was about 25 miles, kinda busy secondary road, rather hilly as I recall.
Road laws vary ,so check with local LEOs about 'two trailer' towing. Having  SMV signs on both might get around some laws.

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
GregStremel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregStremel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:02pm
Regarding hayrides, I specifically talked with my insurance agent.. I confirmed it with text message that I was covered. If my agent is wrong, then I am covered by her errors and omissions insurance. She checked with the company before telling me.

It is a fact of life today that you must have adequate insurance. If not adequately nsured, then you can loose everything if ther is an accident.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by GregStremel GregStremel wrote:

Regarding hayrides, I specifically talked with my insurance agent.. I confirmed it with text message that I was covered. If my agent is wrong, then I am covered by her errors and omissions insurance. She checked with the company before telling me.

It is a fact of life today that you must have adequate insurance. If not adequately nsured, then you can loose everything if ther is an accident.

There is currently an active thread on the AC Facebook page discussing this.

I have an addendum on my homeowners policy that is called "Motorized Vehicle Liability Coverage". It costs me $46 per year (up from $38 when I first got it in 2011). It states "Farm/Garden Tractors & Equipment".

My feeling is if they charge for it as an addendum, if you don't have it, you aren't covered. My opinion is that it is pretty cheap for peace of mind.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:48pm
How far are you talking? We are pushing 12 miles from furthest west to east fields it’s not that bad of a drive.   The OPs idea is scary.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:57pm
After looking at my previous post, I realize I was pretty vague. 

When we had the farm, it was covered by our farm liability. After we sold the farm, I have only homeowners insurance. I have tractors that we do parades, hayrides and things like that. That was what got me thinking about insurance coverage.

In 2011, I bought a new subcompact tractor and wanted full coverage on it (liability and comprehensive). That's when I added full coverage on the new tractor and the liability insurance on the other tractors.

If you have farm liability, you are probably already covered, but it's certainly worth a call to your insurance agent to be sure!
ACFarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACFarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 7:36pm
They make trailers that do exactly what you are talking about. Seems they are more popular out in the south west with hay growers. Ive seen quite a few pictures of them on a hay making facebook page.
Making A living everyday farming with and working on Allis Equipment
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerkendave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm
That's great to hear ACFarmer. Some of these responses made me feel like a fool to even dream of it. I can't help but to think a flatbed trailer with the axle towards the rear and brakes wouldn't be just as safe or safer than driving the old tractor by itself with the baler. But just like lots of my ideas it is something that I probably will never get around to making thanks to time constraints 😂
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:49am
Around here to chicken House crusting crews they used to do that they used a short trailer with no ramps and cruster Ran on the road behind them DOT burnt them that is a $500 ticket then they all bought 40 foot trailers and then DOT got them again they’re trucks weren’t heavy enough or their license wasn’t right for that class truck and weight now they all use single axle road tractors

Edited by bradley6874 - 25 Jun 2019 at 12:02pm
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:21pm
This all falls under 'transportation of implements of husbandry'.

Depending on the location and circumstances, and the road type, it may be perfectly legal to do as noted above, with the obvious attention to basic safety precautions.

The SPEED is a key factor.  If you keep below the SMV definitions of your Authority Having Jurisdiction, you're operating under SMV rules, regardless of what you're PULLING it all with.  If you exceed SMV speed rules, then you're no longer an SMV.

An "implement of husbandry" has a special exemption... it is not a 'road going' vehicle, it is a machine, which is on a public road simply for thoroughfare from one work-site or storage or service facility, to another. 

A 'Farmer' is an individual who is personally invested in agrarian production.  Could be chickens, cotton, beans, horses, or honeybees.  Farmers often own land, but it's not a requirement to be in the category, as farmers can lease land, OR, they can contract or share-crop... but in all cases, the definition of 'Farmer' generally always includes exemptions of road travel.

For instance, when I was 15, it was my responsibility to drive a monsterous 6cyl Cummins 6x6 road tractor pulling 5 hay racks from my grandfather's south fields up to county highway, about a half mile along same highway, then up the long hill county gravel road to my uncle's hay barn.  None of those trailers had brakes, or lights... and the operator did not have a driver's license, much less a CDL, or airbrake endorsement... but it was totally legal.

It was also totally legal for me to drive the Gleaner from the farm, 3 miles into town, a mile thorugh town, to the implement dealer... WITH the corn header installed... WITHOUT an oversize permit. 

Re-ask the question-  Let's say you have a 'faster' tractor, and you rig up a hitch that'd hook from the faster tractor's 3-point, to the nose of your haymaking tractor, and the bailer was still hitched to the back, and you towed the whole rig from one field to the other at 23mph... would THAT be legal?   If you put the haymaking tractor on a farm trailer, and towed the whole rig with a faster farm tractor, would THAT be?

Certainly. 

Towing it with any OTHER vehicle is no different... just as long as you respect your jurisdiction's prescribed Envelope Of Operation for Slow Moving Vehicles.

From a technical standpoint, I would NOT flat-tow a tractor, or nose-tow it (back wheels on ground) at any speed substantially above what it would 'normally' operate at on it's own, for simple reason-  the gear reductions between axle and transmission would be spinning substantially faster than designed, and may fling off oil before being adequately lubricated.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
joelsplace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelsplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:40pm
Thanks for the voice of reason DaveKamp.
Like the signature.
1975 7040 w/Power Director
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 8:05am
Dave in Maryland! If it has a ball hitch it’s not a farm trailer it has to be taged and lighted if it has a pin hitch it’s farm equipment.. we just went through this with hay wagons we started putting ball couplers on ( for safety we haul 275 bales per load of straw) and lights dot cop stoped us and advised us to go back to the pin otherwise they need tags lights and brakes on a 4 wheel wagon I asked about the three axel trailer he said put a pin hitch and an smv sign and go on haul any thing farm related

Edited by bradley6874 - 26 Jun 2019 at 8:58am
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 10:09am
Wherever you are, get a copy or download the 'Highway Traffic Act' or whatever it's called. Up here in Ontario, I can pull any kind of 'trailer' with anything and as long as it has SMV on the back and I go under 40Km( 24MPH) I can be on any road,,except the '400' series.
No trailer plate, no ownership, no lights(daytime).

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:41pm
bradley--  I think part of the problem is you live MD where police are more strict because of more people.    Here in plains states and mid west  less people and police are accustom to seeing farmers tow big machines  and wide machines.  I just have never been harassed by police for any of my farming operations.  JMHO
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:44pm
You’re right a lot of it has to do with location we are halfway between the politicians and the beach and on the East Coast we’re all north-south trucks run
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic