This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOTAL newbie novice needs advice...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOTAL newbie novice needs advice...
    Posted: 04 May 2017 at 9:18pm
Hey there everyone. Glad I found this forum...because I don't even know what a B-207 is...but I found one. I'm a retired Navy guy that needs to mow the lawn on a regular basis and I don't like the disposable Chinese lawn junk sold new today. So, before I buy what looks to be a clean and original `68 B207, I wanted to ask a few questions to the pros. Is this a good tractor? Are mower deck and tractor parts readily available? Will I be able to cut my residential half acre lawn weekly without having to troubleshoot/repair the deck and belts each time? Is a 1968 7 hp engine big enough to drive the 3 blade deck? Is it a "points" engine? Can I find a parts manual for the tractor and deck? What problems should I look for during the first inspection? I guess that's it for now. Thanks in advance. So whatdayathink?

Edited by dynodave - 04 May 2017 at 9:55pm
Sponsored Links

ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:36pm
They were a great tractor back then. Cosmetic parts will be hard to find. Most of the parts other than pulleys and belts are NLA through Simplicity. You could put a magnetron on the engine to eliminate the points. You could order belts through a Simplicity dealer but many today aren't familiar with these older machines. Whats worse is this was an Allis-only tractor with no direct Simplicity equivalent though the deck is the same as a late '60s Broadmoor would have had. These engines have adequate power but there are no good new repower options that fit without modifying the tractor. That is one of the better looking B-207's I've seen listed and if I was in WI I would have probably bought it already but the shipping would put me over what I want to spend on one. If I bought it, I'd put it in a corner and not use it, just show it, but I'm sure others will have a different opinion.
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:37pm
I'll also add, the trans is made by Peerless, so some parts can be had through Peerless for that, but hopefully you'd never need to tear into the transmission. It looks like low hour machine.
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2017 at 11:59pm
Yea I'm with you Chris I'd want to have that in the collection and not use it much
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:02am
And welcome to forum and totally understand you not wanting to buy a stamped tin, bushings over real bearings throwaway mower
dynodave View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 12:56am
Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I'll pay some kid to cut my lawn before I  buy a $1500 disposable with plastic wheels from China. I'm going to look at it in the morning with cash in hand. What do you guy think is a fair price for it? As of right now, I have very little info on it, other than the guy says it's original, fires right up, and it hasn't been used much in the last 12 years. Thanks again.

Edited by dynodave - 05 May 2017 at 1:10am
dynodave View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 1:21am

Edited by dynodave - 05 May 2017 at 1:30am
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:38pm
That machine is really, really clean.  I have one - definitely not as nice as this one, had to replace a coil on mine when I got it.  Was in the same family since new, had decent care, but certainly not as good of care as this one must have had.  I have it mainly as a collector piece, but mow with it once or twice a summer.  Mine does not have lights on it, and your lights look original.  I paid 275.00 for mine, but this one is much, much nicer, so would expect the price to be quite a bit higher.  Much simpler to work on than the newer ones. Just check to make sure the starter/generator actually is charging. Should show on the ammeter.

ctbowles 58 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles 58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:59pm
As good as that tractor looks I would take a chance on it, keep it serviced and I would say you will get many more years of service from it.
dynodave View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:49pm
Thanks again fellas. The tractor was very nice and clean. It didn't want to cut very well as it has been sitting for 10+ years. Besides that, the frame knuckle in the middle is stuck. I would have given him the $460 (delivered) but I am too goddamned  fat to fit between the seat and steering wheel. It would have required modification of the seat mount to fit me so I passed. I didn't realize it was that small as it is the first one I've ever seen. The lights are original (as is the whole tractor) and I believe it will easily sell for $450. Someone is going to get a nice one.
wiplowboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiplowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:16pm
I might be interested if you do not want. wiplowboy@hotmail.com Thanks Jim
dynodave View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:27pm
Here it is Jim Copy and paste it:
https://racine.craigslist.org/grd/6093808623.html

Edited by dynodave - 07 May 2017 at 9:28pm
wiplowboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiplowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:07pm
Thank you.
dynodave View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:09pm
You're Welcome
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 7:49pm
That's one sweet 207! Someone needs to grab it up. My dad's B-208 has been bullet proof. Mowed almost acres a week for many many years. Finally retired it in 1985 when he bought a new AC/Duetz 616. He kept it and trim mowed with it for many more years in areas he didn't want to take the new one. I restored it 5 years ago for his 82 birthday. It has had 1 short block replacement, belts, pulleys and normal maintenance. Shame you did not fit on it because it probably would have served you well for many years to come.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 8:09pm
Dad on his 82nd birthday, it was 12 degrees that day when I gave it back to him. He had no idea I had done this. Restored in a little over a month.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
dynodave View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:20pm
You're a good boy AC720Man...and you did a great job on your Dads machine! It's beautiful!!! Freakin' awesome that you did that for him!  View Drop Down

Edited by dynodave - 11 May 2017 at 8:21pm
ctbowles 58 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles 58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by AC720Man AC720Man wrote:

Dad on his 82nd birthday, it was 12 degrees that day when I gave it back to him. He had no idea I had done this. Restored in a little over a month.........what color yellow did you use ?

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:25pm
I took a part from under the tractor that does not see direct sun.. i took it to my local Napa store that also sells automotive paint. They color matched it. I know it looks brighter but it matched the part I took off. Decals from Maple Hunter decals of Texas. I also put 4 new tires on it.
dynodave View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 10:48pm
OUTSTANDING! It's perfect. You are a great Son.
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:41am
Very nice Jeremy, I have one just like it I restored two years ago also was my Dad's .
Once again I tried posting a picture says it uploaded it but where? Can't believe it's that hard to do.

Edited by ac720nut - 12 May 2017 at 5:48am
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:57pm
I use photo bucket, it's free. Google photo bucket and set up an account. Download your pictures that you want to post to your desk top. Bring up the forum and minimize it, bring up a second tab with photo bucket. Press the upload button. It will ask you to drag the picture over one at a time. It will show its progress as it does it. Drag the next one over. After they are moved, you can view your library. Click on the first picture, to the right you will see IMG for image. Click on that and it will say copied. Now click on the forum tab, open a new posting or reply to a post. Once the message box is up, right click and click on paste. The image doesn't come up but it will be nothing but letters and numbers. Don't panic, it will change to your picture after you hit post reply. You can go back and forth between photo bucket and the forum if you want to add more pictures in the same post. Just minimize the screen each time. Once you did a few times it actually is very simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic