This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 is sensitive....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 is sensitive....
    Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 6:02am
Ok update.

Did some more mowing.  Went over the ditch. No problem.  HOWEVER, it was easy for the tractor as the ground was already mowed.  When I went in before it was a lot harder on the tractor.  So I am going to say its something to do with the tractor really taking on a load.  So I think i will get a new spare coil and the next time it happens I am going to rule in or out the coil and take it from there.  I am guessing carb or coil.  But boy one never gets a break.  In the last three years I had the fuel system overhauled---rebuilt carb, inline filter, rebuilt tank, and this year basically who knew ignition system.  No good dead goes unpinished! Thanks guys for all the input!

If its not an All-Crop, it all crap!
Sponsored Links

TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 5:57am
Originally posted by 560Dennis 560Dennis wrote:

how much gas in the tank ? Done the run out o gas doing a grade here. Unnecessary troubleshooting 
Does fuel,it have alcohol? That dissolve some tank treatments.

Yes has Alcohol.  Tank level good
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 5:56am
Originally posted by 8070nc 8070nc wrote:

Could the sudden vertical lurch when you hit the ditch cause the float in carbueartor to temporarily flood the carb

Ahh interesting!
560Dennis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 560Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 5:33am
how much gas in the tank ? Done the run out o gas doing a grade here. Unnecessary troubleshooting 
Does fuel,it have alcohol? That dissolve some tank treatments.
8070nc View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8070nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 11:18pm
Could the sudden vertical lurch when you hit the ditch cause the float in carbueartor to temporarily flood the carb
1984 80780
1957 D14
DES 300 with 25000 engine
616 tractor
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 10:47pm
You say inline fuel filter. Is it plastic one with paper element, or is it a glass one with a screen. If plastic, get rid of it. Might have flow, but is it enough. I know in the past others have had problems with getting enough fuel when under heavy loads. Like you said, mower catches a little sod and bogs down then fights to recover.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 7:32am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

But the circumstance of failure is when going through the ditch, not working under a continuous duty load...  unless there's something about going through that ditch that was causing the coil some momentary angst, I would be inclined to count that out.

Several things occur in a cool-down cycle... the exhaust and ignition coil cool... any excess fuel in the manifold/intake/carb evaporates out...

It's about crossing the ditch... what is happening in that crossing that the tractor is sensitive to?   Hmm....

Yeah seems bizzare....some might say "coincidence"....but then I was told by my spiritual advisor at Church a few days prior that there are no coincidences.  I need to report this to him!!LOL!...I will say that crossing that ditch puts a load on the brush hog/tractor. The blade hits the ground momentarily...so the tractor grunts.,....

Looking forward to the coil swap test...

Edited by TomYaz - 18 Sep 2023 at 7:33am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 7:08am
But the circumstance of failure is when going through the ditch, not working under a continuous duty load...  unless there's something about going through that ditch that was causing the coil some momentary angst, I would be inclined to count that out.

Several things occur in a cool-down cycle... the exhaust and ignition coil cool... any excess fuel in the manifold/intake/carb evaporates out...

It's about crossing the ditch... what is happening in that crossing that the tractor is sensitive to?   Hmm....
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

I had similar issues with my wd45 that I put Pertronix electronic ignition on. I had gotten an ignition coil from a local supplier and it worked for a while then the troubles began, I contacted Pertronix with my issue after I found I had burnt up the coil. I ordered a new one from Pertronix according to their recommendations which was cheaper than the one I burnt up and have had no problems since. Have to add, the electronic ignition seemed to make the tractor more responsive.

I got the coil as recommended by the pertronix dealer.  But to answer you and the rest, yep could be the coil.  The working after cool-down sure makes it seem so....I do have the same coil on my D17 and I will swap it out the next time it happens to see if that is it.  If it is, I want a refund on that coil!

Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 10:52pm
I had similar issues with my wd45 that I put Pertronix electronic ignition on. I had gotten an ignition coil from a local supplier and it worked for a while then the troubles began, I contacted Pertronix with my issue after I found I had burnt up the coil. I ordered a new one from Pertronix according to their recommendations which was cheaper than the one I burnt up and have had no problems since. Have to add, the electronic ignition seemed to make the tractor more responsive.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 9:47pm
TOm... we didnt mean the tractor was over heating... Just warmed up to operating temp and enough time for the heat to sink into the coil... yea, with electronic ignition you dont have a condenser i guess.. so ..... Still a possibility with the coil- if you cant find anything else.?? 

I have one MAG that gets hot after 90 minutes and will do that.. If i take a gallon jug of water and pour over it slowly for 2 minutes, it will start right back up... You could try something like that as a TEST... dunking in a bucket of cool water, or pouring cold water over a rag wrapped around it might tell you something.

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Sep 2023 at 9:56pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 9:34pm
Does it backfire or miss when it gets weak?  Does the exhaust get blackish?

A couple of odd things I'd check...

The oil-bath air cleaner... just in case there's something in there that shouldn't be...

Take a wire from your ignition module and distributor ground, and connect them to the battery's grounded post.  If this solves the problem, then it's just a matter that the ground path through chassis and block is being disrupted by the ditch-crossing.

Did you go through the distributor advance and bushing when you did the ignition?

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 8:45pm
Mine did the same trick about being fine once cooled off. 
Doing chores at low fuel use rate ok for long enough to move a bale of hay to the  feed area or little deals like that it was fine. Put it on roto tiller, bush hog, hay rake, Square baler for an hour or so --it would lay down and not get up until cooled down. It went on for a year or so before I bumbled onto the real problem.  
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 8:35pm
I wasn't smart enough to take the plug out of the fuel bowl until I saw the needle valve. I had good fuel flow to the elbow into the carb and assumed all was clear going into the bowl. The governor sounds like it is acting properly, opening the throttle valve if RPMs drop. If the problem was in the spark it would probably have some symptoms like black smoke as it dies or some unburned gasoline residue. 
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 8:29pm
Just because it is a new coil unfortunately doesn't mean it isn't the problem. Got one you can switch out
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 8:07pm
Interesintg RW, will keep that in mind. The rub is I was running for hours before this happened. I have new temp gauge and the tractor was not getting that hot.  The carb was rebuilt bought two years ago?  As for gunk in the jets, the problem disappears once it cools off.... 

I will purposely do the ditch dive again and see if it happens.  Its more of a swale than a ditch, all grassy. Safer to cut crossing it that going sideways.

rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 7:49pm
The toughest problem I ever solved went a little like yours. Engine would run fine on chores that took less 30 or 45 minutes, much longer that that it would begin staving for fuel. You could make it back  to the barn most of the time if you took it easy. Turned out the rubber tip on the the needle valve was really swollen up, elongated and distorted preventing fuel from getting to the fuel bowl. We tolerated this for a good while. 
If I ever see one  acting similar I believe I would remove the 1/8th NPT drain plug in the fuel bowl on the carb. Gas should roll on out the bottom of the carb. Just an idea for you to check out.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 7:39pm
You may have junk in carburetor that gets in jet when it gets bounced around.                     Could have a bare or loose wire that gets moved around. Stay out of them ditches. We don't want another AC victim.                       MACK
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 7:26pm
Cant be too hot. Was running all summer for hours on end with no problens just mowing except i wasnt jumping ditches.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 7:22pm
Oh and the tank has no gunk as it was refurbished recently. New see thru inline filter and its flowing great.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 7:20pm
U guys missed the part where i said new plugs,wires,coil and electronic ignition. So it aint the condensor.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 6:25pm

+1 Getting hot. Remember those condensers are not more sophisticated than wax paper and aluminum foil rolled up put in a can with with random oil. Coil can go the same way.

Could be gunk in the tank shifts over at the ditch.

Get it sorted out and you'll have a good runner again.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 5:40pm
i wonder if it really has anything to do with the ground/ ditch... or its just getting hot and the coil / condenser are breaking down... NO SPARK / BAD SPARK.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
TomYaz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomYaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 4:56pm
So this year had the plugs,wires,coil and converted to pertronix.  Been working like a champ....till yesterday....Was going over rough land with the brush hog. Tractor drops into a navigatable drainage ditch, grunts, then starts chugging severly and wont quit. Governor going spastic.  I knew my inline fuel filter was dirty and thought maybe that rough movement shook things up in there a bit bad. So parked it for other things and addressed the dirty fuel filter today.  Ran like a champ again.  Till I went into another deep drop. Same thing, running horrible, governor going spastic...so it aint the fuel filter!.  Walked away and did something else for an hour or so to let it cool down.  Fired right up with no problem...but then noticed I broke my second mower shear pin on as many days so I  took it as a sign to quit for the day..  What the heck is going on?  Governor doesnt like sudden drops?

Edited by TomYaz - 17 Sep 2023 at 4:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic