This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Treadmills and electric cars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Treadmills and electric cars
    Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 8:01am
When I started this post I didn't give the numbers serious thought. I'm just a farmer not an engineer. But when you look back in the day animals were put on treadmills to power things around the farm. Another thing if you put a person on a bike and one walking the person on the bike would go further in less time then the person walking because he has a mechanical advantage. He must have used more energy then the person walking.
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:57pm
Yeah, treadmills are 'powered' not 'taking power from', so they won't run a TV set.  A modern TV though, MIGHT be within reach of a person on a generator... LED TVs being MUCH more energy efficient than an old CRT type color set, they'll be within reach, as long as the human is in respectable shape.

When I was younger, I was on a performance tester regularly.  A bicycle performance tester is essentially a human dynomometer, and there's a myriad of sensors going, because power output at any given moment isn't the 'whole story'... but team trainers use the tester to get a baseline for each rider's abilities, and look for ways to improve each team member's performance.  The tester has several indication outputs:

Power (in watts)
Pedaling Cadence:  the speed of the crankshaft
Output (in watts... as being generated at the wheel output)
    >but that doesn't tell the whole story.
Heart rate and blood pressure
Aspiration rate and volume
Blood oxygen level.

The first number signifies what the power flow at THAT INSTANT is.  The generator is developing a certain number of volts, and a certain quantity of amperes, and volts x amperes = watts.  746 watts = 1 horsepower, or if you want a conversion to thermal units,  1 horsepower is 2544btu

Pedal Cadence is basically like crankshaft RPM of an engine.  An athlete's leg geometry, and their musculature determines what pedaling cadence they're most efficient, and at what cadence they'll develop the most power.
---Peak efficiency, and peak power, frequently do NOT occur at the same cadence!!!

Heart rate, blood pressure aspiration rate and volume, blood oxygen level all add up to what is referred to as VO2 MAX... meaning, the athlete's body's ability to bring in oxygen to the bloodstream, and also, move carbon dioxide OUT.  It also has a direct impact on the ability of the athlete's blood to transport NADPH (basically, the fuel that muscles use to operate) and also, the ability of the athlete's circulatory system to move lactic acid and other waste byproducts OUT of the muscles.  We can drive our bodies to exceed our respiratory and circulatory systems, but once we've hit a certain point, we have to stop to catch up.  In a machinery context, we've exceeded 'our duty cycle'.

When I was tested (in my mid '20's), I was capable of generating a PEAK of something like 2200W for under 10 seconds' duration - That's roughly the equivalent of about 3hp.  I could HOLD 1200w for about 35 seconds, or 700w for 1 minute 15 seconds... after those incidences, my capacity fell off drastically, with the longer durations being oxygen debt... aka 'beyond my VO2max'.

But I could hold just under 200w continuously for a 4 hour road race... as long as I had enough water, and ambient temperature was below 76 degrees.

Here's olympic sprinter Robert Forsteman powering a toaster...

In my observation, He would have done much better, had the gearing been a bit lower- his pedaling cadence needed to be higher to take best advantage of his abilities. 
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 5:44pm
Aint that the truth!!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Pat the Plumber CIL Pat the Plumber CIL wrote:

Just watched something on YouTube about human powered exercise machines that produce electricity. Human body cannot produce enough energy to do much more than run simple electronic devices. A gym tried using nothing but electric generating workout equipment and trying to power the gym with the equipment while their clients worked out . Could only run the lights, hvac system was overwhelmed and couldn't keep up

Funny thing, gyms.  Watch the parking lot and the fistfights and road rage over who gets the parking  spot closest to the door.  If they parked far away and walked to the gym, they wouldn't need the gym!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 12:57pm
folks around here go walking in the winter inside Walmart or find a mall to walk inside and be warm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 10:44am
 I don't think you could get enough pieces in or have a big enough building to do it.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:18am
hmm, sounds like the gym needs more members !Wink
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 7:21am
Just watched something on YouTube about human powered exercise machines that produce electricity. Human body cannot produce enough energy to do much more than run simple electronic devices. A gym tried using nothing but electric generating workout equipment and trying to power the gym with the equipment while their clients worked out . Could only run the lights, hvac system was overwhelmed and couldn't keep up
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 8:29am
I like the idea but once it becomes a job or chore no one would do it
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 7:43am
Neat idea at first thought but, when you put pencil to paper would more than likely ‘never pencil out’.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 7:19am
TOO long for reality!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 6:17am
hm,just upgraded our TV pkg yesterday..2 fancy HD boxes, PVR,2 PODs 60x faster cable...
STILL nothing to watch on the idiot box.........sigh

hmm, treadmill can make about 1HP, say 750 watts..maybe 500 watts per HOUR...
wonder how long a person would have to be on it to recharge a Tesla battery or even a Leaf one ????

Edited by jaybmiller - 04 Dec 2022 at 7:03am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2022 at 3:56am
Years ago I watched a news interview with a electrical engineer who took a stationary exercise bicycle and built a generator out of it that powered the TV. His Kids would take turns pedaling the bike to watch TV that way they were getting exercise!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 10:47pm
OR get a bicyclical and forget the car , Idea is with a electric car you will not be able to get more than 100 miles from your abode when it's cold out . 
 Or like Mpls , they want everyone to live on a transit route , train or bus , and or since turning streets into bike lanes and save the suburbs and rural areas for the elite and the high rollers - as no one else will be allowed out of city limits 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 10:24pm
i think most treadmills USE electricity, not MAKE it .. Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 10:16pm
Put a treadmill together today for my wife.  She's on a program at work where they get rewards through a fitness program for the amount of steps registered on their Fitbit. She walked a couple miles on her days off and get her steps in at her job at work but with winter coming she wants to walk inside. Anyway I had an idea all the people with electric cars should get a treadmill or stationary bike that generates electricity so when they are sitting at home they could recharge their cars without taking power off the grid.  They could have them at work places so on you lunch break you could top off your charge. Then they would really be saving the environment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic