This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update on FA 10 Repairs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update on FA 10 Repairs
    Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:56am
wjohn

The service manuals help a lot.

It is easier when our son who is a pro heavy diesel man and has (or can make) the gear does it.  I mostly got to watch.

There was a bit of a time lag as he works in the north west of Oz, so about the opposite side from us.  About 2 days solid driving - or comfortably in a day by his plane.  It is the getting a break in his work that is the problem!
Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 8:05pm
That definitely looks like a job. Always learning something here.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 9:21pm
Coke

I wonder -

Fiat Allis 10, around 1975, double reduction finals.

And I was introduced to that bloke RTFM quite a while ago  Wink

Edited by Ian Beale - 19 Sep 2021 at 9:23pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 5:30pm
Wjohn

You got it right

The press setup in the first Cat video looks pretty much what the FA 10 manual diagram is in principle

Edited by Ian Beale - 19 Sep 2021 at 5:37pm
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 10:59am
@wjohn; Here are some video's that you might find interesting:

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 8:39am
Am I following correctly that you are supposed to press this onto the assembled machine, so horizontally?

If so that is a lot of force for some sort of portable press. Wow. I'm not familiar with working on equipment this heavy.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 4:59am
Coke

In the absence of a press we tightened the sprocket ring nut to the 1500 odd ft lbs in the book.

But we didn't have to gear to do 

Workshop Manual Fig 203 -Press Fitting the Sprocket using Portable Hydraulic Press Part No 29138

To the required 40,000 - 50,000 Kg

We now have a local adaptation of that.

Edited by Ian Beale - 19 Sep 2021 at 5:00am
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 9:01pm
If the FA 10 has a outside bearing by sprocket then it was not a press  fit but the nut on axle is just torqued to many ft pounds / 
 On my HD5G the nut was something like 1200 ft pounds - big wrench , long pipe measure back from axle and find where to chin myself on the pipe 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 6:14pm
Back a while I mentioned that the LHS final on our FA 10 had come apart.  We rounded up the parts within a couple of days in time for our diesel mech son to strip and rebuild.  Then we walked it home and he started on the RHS one.

And found that the sprocket hub  there was also loose.  That took a while to find another set - by which time he had left for his base - which is on the other side of OZ.

Between his work and the Peking Pox we finally got him back just now and the machine is mobile again.

About 3000 hours ago we rebuilt the track gear and were in to the sprocket nuts.  Question was - were the sprockets pressed on as the finals had obviously been apart - we now know that "Joe Fiddler" did the job.  They passed the "ring test" when hit with a hammer and we didn't have the press gear so we hoped.  Might have been better if we'd had the press.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic