This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top dressing or no till Turnips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top dressing or no till Turnips
    Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 1:35pm
info From a previous thread..

Someone suggested seeding turnips into hay ground to help break up top soil and to help put organic matter backk into soil.

Will I see any germination if I frost seed or top dress turnip seeds ???

or would I be better off to no till drill the turnips into the hay fields ?

If I no till drill I will be doing it by end of July.

I already have about 5 acres that that have been plowed, preped and ready conventional seeding...

My question is seeding established "poor" hay fields with turnips ?
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 2:12pm
The renters put the seed in the fertilizer buggy with the fertilizer, some kind of coating to prevent fertilizer damaging, get these thru the MO Farmers Associated Coop system (MFA).
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 2:28pm
THANKS

Exactly the kinds info I need.

Very much appreciated .
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
John Phillis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Phillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 11:23pm
No till radishes, not turnips is what I suggested. They are available in stock in columbiana Ohio at Witmer’s agronomy center or Katie can probably order you some at Growmark FS in eighty four, pa. I’ll try to give you a call tomorrow at some point. I have been very far behind this year. Growmark is coming to my place tomorrow to spray about 90-95 acres of beans, since I am so far behind. Had to hire some of it done. Just too many small fields with lots of road travel between them. I’ll have some time for a phone call if we get the rain they are talking about. 

Planting the radishes, you only need about 100 lbs of potash broadcast out there at planting time. They take off pretty quickly and will still be growing at thanksgiving. I’ve had them get to be about the size of a pringles can below the surface and about the same size sticking out of the ground. You can throw some oats out there with them just to shade the ground from weeds while they grow. Andrews, next to mill creek cemetery might have some bagged feed oats for sale if you want a lower cost option since yield won’t matter. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic