This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To The Semi Tractor Owners ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To The Semi Tractor Owners ??
    Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:01pm
To those that run "pre" engine computerized rigs, at what interval do you change the engine oil ?? Is it based on a mileage regiment or an an engine hour routine like the old school farm tractors/ combines ?? Thanks
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:09pm
Most anyone running larger Class 7 or 8 trucks draw oil samples and have them evaluated for change point.  Not much anymore is by hour or mile.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:14pm
I changed mine every 12,000 miles.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 7:29pm
I retired from NYSDOT.

Our "large dumps" (a mixture of tandem and single axle trucks) were changed at 10,000 mile intervals. A lot of the miles put on these trucks was plowing snow and, in summer time, a lot of hours idling on job sites.

While the truck was covered by warranty, new oil was used. As soon as the truck's warranty expired, they were switched to recycled oil. 

I worked for DOT for over 31 years and I don't recall ever seeing an engine wear out or ruined that could be blamed on the oil except we had a problem a few years back with oil pans rusting through (exposed to a lot of salt and calcium chloride throughout their life), until they went to composite oil pans.

I see a lot of people spending a lot of money on synthetic oil. These trucks didn't even get new oil!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:03pm
Thanks guys for your replies !!!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

To those that run "pre" engine computerized rigs, at what interval do you change the engine oil ?? Is it based on a mileage regiment or an an engine hour routine like the old school farm tractors/ combines ?? Thanks

I know many change oil in the 15,000 mile range, even with today’s new ‘modern’ engines.
On the frac fleet we have where I work, the engine oil is changed every 400 hours. The oil pans hold between 40-50 gallons of oil, depending on the engine.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

I know many change oil in the 15,000 mile range, even with today’s new ‘modern’ engines.
On the frac fleet we have where I work, the engine oil is changed every 400 hours. The oil pans hold between 40-50 gallons of oil, depending on the engine.
Can you elaborate on the "frac fleet" machines please ??  40-50 GALLONS ?? , OUCH !!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:06pm
The ‘pumps’ that are the heart of ‘hydronic fracturing’. Huge Diesel engines the run pumps all hook in tandem, that pump the water/sand mixture down hole to ‘fracture’ the rock that had crude oil impregnated in the rock formation. General range of 23,000 psi. Generally 20-25 pumps running on location(pad) at any one time.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:10am
Big difference in trucks that run 6 weeks at harvest than a OTR truck.  My semi tractor runs a few odd days for wheat and oats harvest then as weather permits in October and November but if the weather doesn’t improve heavens knows when corn harvest will end. Mine gets an oil change late September or early October regardless of miles.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 11:42am
I serviced 5 OTR tractors in the 70's and 80's for a client - and set a 10 to 12,000 mile range on them . I got one unit at a time in as staggered changes of about 1 a week .
 2 units had lube finder filters and changed them out every other oil change bit engine filters every time .
 On own dump trucks I changed about 6,000 miles as conditions of dust and dirt was more conclusive to quicker changes .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 12:34pm
Luberfiner filters were bypass filters, later filtration units eliminated the need of them if there ever was a need of them. Changed hundreds of those over the years where a few were left too long and the fibrous mass inside them busted out, dehydrated wood fiber.

Most would choke up early going into bypass on their own.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

The ‘pumps’ that are the heart of ‘hydronic fracturing’. Huge Diesel engines the run pumps all hook in tandem, that pump the water/sand mixture down hole to ‘fracture’ the rock that had crude oil impregnated in the rock formation. General range of 23,000 psi. Generally 20-25 pumps running on location(pad) at any one time.

Thanks Lars for the replyClap. Any idea of how many gallons of oil are in a LOCOMOTIVE ENGINE ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 13 Nov 2021 at 6:22pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:04pm
Google says 250-400 gallons...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:07pm
Many years ago, I heard that they change the oil in locomotives with the engine running. Apparently there are different compartments and the oil can be changed by diverting to different compartments.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 5:10am
The EMD and GE diesels can be oil changed while running but generally are not as dilution occurs during the process old to new. Had V14 Colt Pielstick Fairbanks marketed diesels at the nuke I worked in, 450gallons oil with a 150 gallon add oil keep full tank. The big engines slobber heavily using considerable amounts of oil per year.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

The EMD and GE diesels can be oil changed while running but generally are not as dilution occurs during the process old to new. Had V14 Colt Pielstick Fairbanks marketed diesels at the nuke I worked in, 450gallons oil with a 150 gallon add oil keep full tank. The big engines slobber heavily using considerable amounts of oil per year.
DM, is it true that there ARE 2 stroke diesel engine on a locomotive ?? I recently did work in a home of a retired "CONRAIL" electrician that said that such an "animal" exists on the current rail lines Embarrassed.

Edited by FREEDGUY - 14 Nov 2021 at 4:33pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 6:24am
So, you don’t believe him?
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:41am
Not only are they on rail lines, they're prevalent on rail lines.

The GM-EMD locomotive prime movers are super-turbocharged two-stroke.  The ones I taught on were four-valve head, full-authority electronically controlled fuel injected.

The super-turbochargers are, as it sounds, a two-function device.  A drive gear off the camshaft drives the compressor turbine through an overrunning clutch.  Once exhaust pressure rises sufficient to pick up the load, the exhaust turbine spools up, and exceeds the overrunning clutch, making it now a turbocharged engine.

They ARE two stroke, as the cylinders are ported for scavenging.  OTH I don't recall if it was set up for upflow (into port, exhaust out valves) or vise-versa,  I believe it was downflow, but I've taught too many others since then, but they were very well designed setups, and didn't discharge much lube oil under working conditions.

ALL engines, and Diesel engines in general, will discharge engine oil, as a result of running.  They do it most, however, when under little, or no load.  Why?  Because cylinder pressures are low, hence, pressure-based ring sealing force is nonexistant.  Once above 40% load, they are really tight.

The locos I taught on had a 500gal operating tank, with a 100gal feeder, they were designed to be maintained by the feeder.  Oil changes in those were spec'd at 6000 operating hours, but samples taken on a weekly basis, and the eductor system pressure tested at same time  as samples.  If a sample indicated a loss of quality or increase of some contaminant, it was responded to accordingly.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:26pm
EMD is losing out to GE which is using the old ALCO base design four stroke engines, Cleaner, more fuel efficient and more durable.  They have also gone almost completely to AC motors and have stopped building Locomotives on DC circuit.

The EMD Four Stroke 1010 engine or H engine is current production line

The Two Stroke 567 and 645 engines were the mainstay for Generations of Rail Engines and Barge Tows.

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

So, you don’t believe him?
I'm sorry, did I misunderstand something that was said earlier ? If so, I apologize to that poster Embarrassed
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:55pm
I believe Tbone was referring to the Conrail Electrician
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:52pm

Possibly,Ouch, he enjoys jumping on me like a few guys from ILL.; MO.; and the east coast though
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 7:01pm
On a side-note to you (DMiller) and DaveKamp, what is the HP rating of a locomotive engine ? Is it based on the same "ag" tractor rating as far as PTO/drawbar HP or based on mathematical scenarios ?? Thanks
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 7:56pm
people jump on you, because you say stupid stuff, and are an EASY TARGET !!  LOL   Clap
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:24am
Go to the Net Freegas, you are embarrassing yourself as you can make said search if can make posts here..
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:52am

Possibly,Ouch, he enjoys jumping on me like a few guys from ILL.; MO.; and the east coast though
I wouldn't jump on you if you were the last person on earthLOLLOLLOL

But seriously......you talked to a RR employee that told you something, then you come on here and ask DMILLER if it is true?  WTF, so for some reason you didn't believe the guy who was a RR employee?  And you could have googled what you asked in mere seconds, rather than waiting for a reply. . . .from a guy from MO!Wink

I used lots of emojis and typed real slow so you could understand.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

I wouldn't jump on you if you were the last person on earthLOLLOLLOL

But seriously......you talked to a RR employee that told you something, then you come on here and ask DMILLER if it is true?  WTF, so for some reason you didn't believe the guy who was a RR employee?  And you could have googled what you asked in mere seconds, rather than waiting for a reply. . . .from a guy from MO!Wink

I used lots of emojis and typed real slow so you could understand.
The RR employee retired 31 years ago , seems like times "might" have changed  LOLLOL ! Have a happy Thanksgiving Tbone !!!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 20 Nov 2021 at 5:14pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 7:06am
So you asked a guy who never worked for the RR for confirmation….

Ok.

Happy thanksgiving to you too.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:21pm
All the specs are listed in the links I provided, Prime Mover engines are rated either in KW for Generator ops or for Shaft HP output as no drawbar on a engine.  Is a Coupler on a Locomotive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic